Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NYPD just pulled me over and ticketed me for "not having goggles or a faceshield." Are you kidding?! I have a face shield only it was up because it's 85º today and I had been sitting in downtown traffic 5 mins before. I had on wrap-around sunglasses. Give me a break!

I thought I'd mention it because the PO said that with summer coming on they're "looking for this violation." Ultimately, I think he just wanted to see if I was licensed, but to still give me a ticket after the fact is lame.

</Rant>
Count

·
Registered
698 Posts
The NYPD just pulled me over and ticketed me for "not having goggles or a faceshield." Are you kidding?! I have a face shield only it was up because it's 85º today and I had been sitting in downtown traffic 5 mins before. I had on wrap-around sunglasses. Give me a break!

I thought I'd mention it because the PO said that with summer coming on they're "looking for this violation." Ultimately, I think he just wanted to see if I was licensed, but to still give me a ticket after the fact is lame.

</Rant>
Count
That's a F-N BS ticket! What's next? Ticketing people for not wearing gloves?

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
they won't get many violators because honestly, I can't recall ever seeing someone without some sort of eyewear on while riding.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Did you mention your sun glasses were on as eye protection? Did he see them? I would have definitely pointed this out to him...
Last I knew, they served as eye protection!

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Yes, glasses count as eye protection. (I got stopped years ago in CT for no eye protection on my moped, a 1960 MBK with a 50mph top speed, for this reason, and the cop said that glasses would be fine, but nothing at all was no-go).

I'd fight the ticket.

Tom

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
yes, it's B.S. Huge B.S.
However, some laws, I mean, many laws are passed even though they seem to contradict common sense.
I am with you on this. It's simple basic common sense.
I would look up your state's vehicle code to find out what the law is regarding face shields, sunglasses, etc. And bring a copy of the state vehicle code to court to fight it. Make sure it's an official copy; really!!!
I live in CA and whenever I visit NY, I avoid cops like the black plague. I will cross the street if I can. I think they are a bunch of a-hole d-bags. Not all, but their reputation has never been good.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
You may think this is dumb but go to court and tell them you had your contacts in on the day they gave you your ticket!!

That was low blow for them to give you a ticket but I would fight it!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
You have to contest EVERY ticket you get. The last two tickets I've gotten were nolle'd when I entered a not guilty plea. Make them work for any money they try to take from you. If everyone contests their tickets the system will come to a screeching halt.

·
Registered
539 Posts
the cops are out in force to give b.s. tikckets to make sure they have money for the state and department. i just went to court today and lost because i have worn out tires on my truck and they squeal when i go around corners. the B***h for a magistrate said it must be the way i operate the vehicle not the tires.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
It's the only thing that DOES make sense. Let's see, no eye protection, rock/bug/debris in the eyes, blinded rider crashes in to who knows what. You were legal though as non-glass glasses count. Fight it!

Eye protection is the only gear the IS mandatory in most states. Cars have to have a windshield too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Revenue cop to the max! He was making sure that his check was signed at the end of the day.

Like some others have said, go to court to fight it. The best case is that he is a no show, and you get to walk, the worst is that the magistrate says he was right. At that point you can ask for an appeal and pay like 20 bucks, and go before a real judge at a later date. There is yet another chance he will not show. When you go to court dress to the nines, because the way you look counts...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He saw my glasses and even commented on them. He said they're not "goggles". They need to seal onto your face like ski goggles to keep out the dirt and bugs.

What really pissed me off is that I had just been passed a few blocks before by a dude lane splitting on a GSXR wearing a wife beater and board shorts. I get ticketed while obeying the rules and baking in my jeans and black armored Rev'it jacket. He gets to ride around for free like a beach bum.

I think I will fight it. Of course it's my word against The Man's, but maybe he won't even show up.

Thanks!
/Count

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
NO, it isn't! Request the evidence against you, i.e. the jackoff's statement on the back of the ticket. It should note that you were wearing sunglasses.

Then, as someone noted, print the eye protection law off the NYS website.

Finally, do a quick check of your sunglass MFGs website. Most all conform to some ANSI spec. If you can show that they were tested to anything, you WILL be dismissed. If they were Oakleys, you will not have an issue proving this. Remember to bring them with you.

If all else fails, just showing that you did your research may get you a big break. It has worked for me in many moving violations.

Here in WA, as long as you bike has a windscreen, i.e. a bikini fairing on a naked, it qualifies as a visor / eye protection. That came straight from an experienced MSF instructor. A student commented that they receive a similar ticket for having their visor up.

When was the last time you saw a m/c jackoff cop wearing goggles?? Around here they waer aviator sunglasses and sometimes ride with there flip-up helmet flipped up. WTF? Maybe snap some pics of that. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From § 381. of the New York State Code:

7. It shall be unlawful, on and after January first, nineteen hundred
sixty-seven, for any person to operate a motorcycle unless he wears
goggles or a face shield of a type approved by the commissioner. The
commissioner is hereby authorized and empowered to adopt and amend
regulations covering types of goggles and face shields and the
specifications therefor and to establish and maintain a list of approved
goggles and face shields which meet the specifications as established
hereunder.

Commissioner of Motor Vehicles' rules:
Section 54.2 Definitions.
(b) Goggles or face shield. An eye protection device as defined in Regulation VESC-8.

If your eye protection does not carry the VESC-8 compliance stamp or does meet its qualifications, then it is not legal for use in New York.

VESC-8:
http://www.vesc.org/Media/VESC V-8 Minimum Requirements for Motorcyclists' Eye Protection.pdf

So, unless you get lucky, if the VESC-8 compliance stamp is not on your glasses, then you're likely going to have to prove that they meet the requirements in the link above.

On a safety note, wearing regular sunglasses even at low speeds can be very dangerous. A rock, for example, can be thrown from tires or traffic in other lanes and leave you blind in one eye.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I've decided, for a variety of reasons, to just paying this off.

Question for NYC riders... I went online to try and pay it the ticket. When I search for it under my name nothing comes up. It says that the DMV may not have input the data yet. However, the ticket states in BOLD RED LETTERS that I have 15 days to pay up or they will suspend my license and render a default judgment against me.

I've tried calling the DMV for 2 days now (today is the 15th day!) but it's been busy every time. WTF do I do? Don't tell me I have to go to the office!

BTW... a motorcycle cop rolled up next to me at a stoplight yesterday in Manhattan. I saw him coming in the mirror and snapped my visor down. When he pulled up, guess what he had on his face? Aviator sunglasses and no visor!!!!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Upon reading the NY law, it clearing indicates that eye glasses may be worn. There are some parameters involved, such as the size of the glasses, however it does include them in as authorized EPD's(Eye Protection Devices).

·
Registered
25 Posts
NYPD seems to be on a serious hot streak for tickets this summer.

I just got a number of parking tickets.

If the ticket cannot be identified in the system, it may not be entered, and you can try to risk it.

It may be that they will not be entered and you might be a dunce for actually bringing it up to them, but it may come back to haunt you one long day in the future.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats BS man!

</Rant>
Count

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Go to court and fight it. Cop will probably be too busy handing out more Barney Fife tickets to show up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts