Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I wish to thank the entire Sport Classic (Ducati.ms) community for their help and insight these past few months. While I have not had a tremendous number of my own posts and inquiries, I have been reviewing and reading your messages carefully, following your advice and learning from your mistakes.
The end result, after several months and several thousands of dollars, my previously completely stock 2007 GT 1000 Sport Classic (grey green), which I bought used in September 2011 with approximately 4000 miles on it, is essentially done and modified in the ways I most wanted. There are still a few things I wish to upgrade, change-out, tweak or flip, but, like I said, the bike is pretty much where I envisioned it being several months ago when I started this journey.
Now, I admit that most of the changes are cosmetic or intended to make the bike look better to me, but many of the mods have the added benefit of allowing my GT to ride better and go much faster - given my 6’2” height and 235 lbs. weight..
Certainly some of the items added or addressed were unnecessary icing on an already satisfying layer cake. Others may argue that all I did was add weight that might slow the GT down. It’s true, that you’re never too old to go fast – but the older you get, the proportions of speed to comfort usually need to be formulated a bit different. So, some of the icing may be too sticky and gooey for the young and restless out there, but for me they make all the difference in how I intend to use the bike.
Clearly, I’ve gone on too long with this introduction, but there is one last thing I need to say (or put out there) before I list the mods. After this much time and attention, it feels necessary to name my project. I’ve given it a lot of thought and have chosen “La Mia Sorpresa Veloce” or “My Fast Surprise,” or “Mia SV” for short.
So here goes; may I introduce to you “Mia SV” and the elements of her transformation in no particular order:
1. Termignoni Exhaust System – Silencers, Air Box and ECU [this may have been the last unopened box in North America, as far as I can determine].
2. Gazi Suspension – Hyper X Piggyback Reservoir Shock Absorbers
3. Hyperpro Fork Springs and Fork Oil Dampening Fluid
4. Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring Tires
5. Rizoma Brake (front and rear master cylinder) and Clutch Reservoir Tanks
6. Pazzo Black Anodized Brake and Clutch Levers (Black)
7. Rizoma Luxury Grips (Black)
8. Halcyon Napoleon Bar-End Mirrors (Chrome) *
9. National Cycle Fly Screen (smoked)
10. Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads
11. Cox Oil Cooler Guard
12. Ducati Touring Comfort Seat
13. Ducati GT Luggage Rack
14. Ducati Chrome Front and Rear Mud Guards
15. Ducati GT Rearset Kit (yet to be installed)
16. NGK Spark Plugs (Replacement)
17. Ducati Cam Belts (Replacement)
18. Valve Adjustment and O-Ring (Replacement)
19. RK O-Ring Chain (gold plated)
20. 525-14P Replacement Sprocket
21. YUSA Maintenance Free Battery and Pigtail
22. K&N X-Stream Oil Filter
23. K&N Ducati Sport Pre-Oiled Foam Air Filter
24. R&G Racing Fork and Frame Sliders
25. Remove Evap Canister
26. Replace Oil Fill Cap and Drain Plug (yet to be installed)
27. NHX Steering Damper (yet to be installed)

Wish List:
• I’m not crazy about the mirrors
• Would like a headlight unit with a glass lens (Thoughts?)
• Change out brake and signal lights to LED?
• Raised Clip-Ons – (maybe not as I don’t know if my back can take it)
• Relocate voltage regulator (need replacement plug first)
• What am I missing? Your thoughts and comments are welcome and appreciated. Oh by the way, it sounds like a land jet…!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Nice GT

Lighter wheels! Looks like the only thing left as you've done a lot!
I just replaced my stock wheels on SC with a set of tubeless alpina's. Handles way nice from losing a few lbs of rotating mass. Are yours the stock steel Gt rims?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lighter wheels! Looks like the only thing left as you've done a lot!
I just replaced my stock wheels on SC with a set of tubeless alpina's. Handles way nice from losing a few lbs of rotating mass. Are yours the stock steel Gt rims?
Yes, they are the OEM chrome laced wheels - thought about making the change, but I'm reluctant to mess with the classic look until such time as the chrome gives out!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Got the aluminum ones cleaned and boxed up if you want to lose the weight and still keep spoked look.;)

Yes, they are the OEM chrome laced wheels - thought about making the change, but I'm reluctant to mess with the classic look until such time as the chrome gives out!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
and a hugger to keep the cases tidy!
;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks great Brian! No cost front improvements, take out the 2 front blinker spacers - mover the blinkers in an inch and move the horns down off the lower oil cooler bolts-they fit right on the ends, cost nothing and really cleans the front up imop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great Brian! No cost front improvements, take out the 2 front blinker spacers - mover the blinkers in an inch and move the horns down off the lower oil cooler bolts-they fit right on the ends, cost nothing and really cleans the front up imop.
In the works - great suggestion - thx. What about changing out the signals entirely?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Who makes the rear sets you mentioned? Have you fitted them yet?

·
Registered
292 Posts
In the works - great suggestion - thx. What about changing out the signals entirely?

I thought about changing signals, but in the end decided these signals add a lot to the old look of the bike. The tail chop in back w the Diopa unit and seat cowl cleaned the back up a lot, and bringing in the front spacers, front and back seem good to me (for now). The front horns always bothered me looking at the front, much improved with them on the side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought about changing signals, but in the end decided these signals add a lot to the old look of the bike. The tail chop in back w the Diopa unit and seat cowl cleaned the back up a lot, and bringing in the front spacers, front and back seem good to me (for now). The front horns always bothered me looking at the front, much improved with them on the side.
I'm still looking for a cowl to fit the comfort touring seat on the GT - any alternatives out there?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts