Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, some mates and I, including Bly from here, did an overnight trip up Thunderbolts Way in NSW, Australia. We filmed it, so Ill let the pictures show you what we did.
Bly was on his Streetfighter, I was on my Multistrada.
Great roads, shame about the horrible surface.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yep, must be, means funny/slight piss-take type thing ;)

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Mmmmmm. I've heard of you 'BikeMe' types. A mate of mine rides with them sometimes. Mr Skidz. aka Jeff.

Looked like a fun ride!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
RAOTFLMFAO ,,,, at that load of CLAP TRAP :rolleyes:

Bucking Frilliantly done ,,,, in typical Aussie STYLE. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Looked better weather for the ride home than the ride up.

Have done that ride NUMEROUS times over many years. Never seen the road as bad as it is now ,,,,, it's now got potholes in the patches on the potholes.

I'm riding Tamworth - Dungowan - Nowendoc - Gloucester on Saturday, and back on Sunday.
Hope that strip of dirt is either dry or tarred by then.

Will be over there again on 8 & 9 September for the rally at Bretti Reserve.

SOME NOTES ,,,,,,,,

POLICE
You can go weeks and weeks, and not see a highway patrol car.
Then there'll be a weekend when you seen 2 or 3 going each direction.
Radar is OFTEN lurking on the good road 20 klms either side of the Nowendoc turn off ,,,,, and on the section between the Red Bobs Rd and Walcha.

THE ROAD
It's a GREAT strip of bike road, despite the CRAPPY surface ,,,,,,, BUT
A couple of mates are Ambos. One stationed at Walcha, the other crews on the Westpac helicopter out of Tamworth.
They both tell me that hardly a weekend goes by without them picking up the pieces of a rider somewhere along Bucketts / Thunderbolts or along the Oxley between Walcha / Ginger's Creek / Long Flat.

WILDLIFE
Gloucester to the top of the hill - Wallabies & Wombats
Top of the hill to Walcha - Kangaroos
Walcha to Yarrowitch - Kangaroos
Yarrowitch to Wauchope - Wallabies, Paddymelons, the occassional Wombat.

OTHER HAZZARDS
It's a VERY popular bike road. Unfortunately some let their aspirations exceed their skills. Not unusual to find somebody utilising your side of the road ,,,, sometimes at warp speed. Weekends are by far the worst for this.
Also plenty of caravaners, sightseeres,,,,, and midweek ,,, logging trucks.

If it's been windy ,,, often a lot of leaf matter, twigs, branches, and the occassional tree.
If it's been raining a fair bit,,,,rocks tumble from the hillsides and cuttings. If it been raining a lot,,,, minor to major rockslides.

COMPULSORY STOP
Wilson's Lookout ,,,,,, The view is STUNNING.
You see snips of it between 5.15 and 5.40 of the clip.
Toilets, water, picnic tables, hard but loose gravel surface.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great to hear the REAL story of "THUNDERBOLT'' at last..........
It's gotta be true cause Boris would NEVER stretch the truth for the benefit of a good story either in print or video..........OH NOOOOO...........!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
**not for Merkin consumption**

It might give motorcyclists a bad name!!

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
That's Boris doing the commentary? Looks a character...

I know 'Benelli Bob', and 'my mate Jeff' from the Bikeme crowd... From when they were Kiwis...

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
The video needs subtitles for those of us who don't speak Aussie.

A thread about pirates is very appropriate, for today (9/19) is international Talk Like a Pirate Day.
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Listening to the video, it sounds as though Aussies talk like pirates every day, perhaps as a lasting tribute to Captain Thunderbolt and his fighting bear Oliver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts