Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This company advertises on our website. It's a chip reapir process done by filling the chip then smearing into the chip with your finger or for hundreds of little chips apply the paint to a t-shirt and wipe it over the "road rashed" area. Well I decided to give it a good shot today while watching the WSBK race. I tried it last week but didn't put much effort into and still got very good results. The road rash area I was repairing was along the bottom of my 2003 999 fairing. With just about 8000 miles it needed some attention although the paint has held up incredibly well. So I prepped it as the instructed and applied the paint with small ripped patch of a t-shirt. I wiped the paint into the chips really well. (Must shake bottle WELL until the little ball in it rattles-most important for coverage!) waited and wipe the excess off with another t-shirt soaked with the special paint removal solvent. I have to say after doing this a couple of times the results are dramatic to say the least. The paint really stays in the little chips and nicks after you remove the excess. Its important to do it in a light where you can see how well you ahve removed the excess paint. It really blends well...perfectly in fact and its NOT like a repaint but the results are terriffic! When you buff it out with a clean t-shirt it really brings back the luster. My fairing had normal chips and nicks. Some were deep and this product filled the deep nicks fine. From a few feet away the rash just disappears and it looks really good close up. So..there is really no way to prevent nicks unless you started with a chip proof clear or the invisagard kit, but even with the invisagard you still get that annoying road rash when you look at the fairing close up. Great product but pricey. My bike was red and the product worked excllent here and on dark colors. I don't know how it will work on yellow. Give it a shot, it's money well spent. Jeff

·
Registered
157 Posts
thanks for the heads up. i was the village idiot and had a friend ride my bike and had a fanny pack on and it left some nasty scratches in the back next to the seat cowl. :( saw this product and thought about it. i give it a shot.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well its been two days since the Dr. Colorchip was applied to my fairing. And it actually looks better than the day I did it. The paint has actually seemed to "swell" and fill the chip even better. For guys who want to buy the kit you can also just get the PREFAST separetely which I found out yesterday. The more prefast you use to reomve the excess paint the less pressure you use to wipe the excess paint off which in turn leaves more paint in the chips and nicks = superior results. So my advice is to buy the least expensive kit first...with extra prefast and try it out. Hope this helps with anybody who might on the fence about which appears to be a wonderful product.JCM

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ZDM what color code did you use? I also have an '03 999 (red).
473.101 PPG as per Dr. Colorchip:D I'm telling you it is DEAD on perfect, it even beats the Colorite pen by a mile which when applied looks like your paint has the measles compare to the perfect blend of the Dr. Colorchip kit. If I can post pics I will put the one fairing that is undone next to the finished fairing and if the pics turn out right...it really is astonshing! And NO I have nothing to do with Dr.Colorchip. I just believe in their product because it does whta they advertise and thats rare in todays market.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would love to see pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts