Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 253 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,748 Posts
Well, check all the basics. Tire pressure, sag, compression, rebound, ride height adjust? It's always the best money spent to have a suspension guy set up a new bike for you.
well I'm sticking to my guns, Obie may have a different expectation than me. Here's what I wrote on my initial impression and I haven't changed my mind since:
The bike dips in to corners in a very neutral way with no tendency to drop or pull off of the line - no pressure was required to hold the line and the bike was nimble without being twitchy – the perfect balance between maneuverability and stability

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
well I'm sticking to my guns, Obie may have a different expectation than me. Here's what I wrote on my initial impression and I haven't changed my mind since:
The bike dips in to corners in a very neutral way with no tendency to drop or pull off of the line - no pressure was required to hold the line and the bike was nimble without being twitchy – the perfect balance between maneuverability and stability
i'm good with that as well.....not any different expectation, just stating what i feel in comparison to the many other bikes i've owned. the bike does dip into corners in a neutral manner, it does hold a line well, and doesn't feel twitchy in the least. it does feel balanced, but i also feel that it steers a little bit more slowly than other bikes i've owned. i don't think it's a "fast" steering bike or one that flops from one side to the other with ease.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Neutral - Yup
Holds line well - Yup
Twitchy - Nope

I rode the Thruxton R back to back with my RNineT. The BMW transitioned from side to side more easily. Lighter wheels, wider bars, overall less weight give it an advantage.

Did I find the TR annoyingly slow, absolutely not. In fact with lighter wheels and suspension tweaking I'm sure I could get the handling exactly as I'd like it.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
^^^^ I know. I'm in no way saying the Thruxton is slow turning. I'm just throwing out there the standard things to check and do if someone feels their bike has sluggish or slow steering.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
After running out oil on my vintage bike on Sunday. Didn't seize the engine but did need to put some emergency car oil on to get home.

This new era of old looking bikes with modern amenities mikes 1000% sense. You get the retro cool factor with out the headaches.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bon Vivant
10,748 Posts
After running out oil on my vintage bike on Sunday. Didn't seize the engine but did need to put some emergency car oil on to get home.

This new era of old looking bikes with modern amenities mikes 1000% sense. You get the retro cool factor with out the headaches.

The old Thruxton had a decidedly vintage look and feel. The new bike looks very vintage but rides more like a state of the art motorcycle.

Is it time chief????? >:)

There are so many cool modern retro bikes out there to choose from too...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
The old Thruxton had a decidedly vintage look and feel. The new bike looks very vintage but rides more like a state of the art motorcycle.

Is it time chief????? >:)

There are so many cool modern retro bikes out there to choose from too...

If I would've seized the engine it would've been sold as is. It's a love hate relationship, when I want to sell her she'll be fine for the next few hundred miles, then bam! I'm stuck wanting to sell her.

I still think the thruxton R is the coolest with the throttle bodies looking like carbs and such. If I deemed it sporty enough for canyons I would consider letting the red one go.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Triumph oem accessories arrive today.....the fender eliminator kit along with LED turn signals....hope to get those bolted on this weekend.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Now you're going to have to pull the front wheel and weigh it!:)
I took the time to pull some spares out of the crawl space and did some weighing...

Brake discs not included in any of the weights;

RnineT stock spoke front rim/Metzler Z8 tire/tube etc - 24lbs
BMW rims have the funky disc mounting points that add a little weight. All else being equal the Thruxton R's will weigh a little less.

The alloy Kineo spoke wheel that is now on the RnineT - 22.5lbs.
The Kineo isn't exactly lightweight. It has the external spoke attachment points that add some weight. I like the looks and wanted go ditch the tubes.

Then the stock rim only from my Tuono (I replaced it with RSV4 forged) - 8.8 lbs. Add a front tire ~ 19lbs

I never weighed the tubes, how much would they weigh? I'd assume more than a pound, and that pound is at the worst place it can be in terms of inertia.

What's my point? Not much other than I had a little time to waste and I thought I'd share some info...

Thruxy has excel alloy rims :wink2:

·
Bon Vivant
10,748 Posts
If I would've seized the engine it would've been sold as is. It's a love hate relationship, when I want to sell her she'll be fine for the next few hundred miles, then bam! I'm stuck wanting to sell her.

I still think the thruxton R is the coolest with the throttle bodies looking like carbs and such. If I deemed it sporty enough for canyons I would consider letting the red one go.

The red one? you mean your streetfighter?

In canyons and tight stuff where smooth throttle control and carrying speed is the key I'd say the Thruxton is a lot of fun and is easier to handle than the SF, but when you want some adrenaline it doesn't even come close. The Thruxton is civility with a hint of muscle to back it up - The Streetfighter is evil brutality with no apologies. I think if someone had never experience a modern supernakid like the SF, SD, S1kr, or Tuono the Thruxton would be very satisfying, but since you've gotten used to real performance I think it would leave you wanting more if you sold your SF.

(I cant remember but if you have the 848 SF forget all that crap I just wrote and go ride a Thruxton0:))

161 - 180 of 253 Posts