Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,575 Posts
When I sat over the Thruxton R the ergos seemed more like a GT1000 vs SC1000 which has those brutal clip-on bars? Would you consider the GT a better 'like for like' comparison?
Ergonomically yes but the sporty nature is more like the Sport1000 and I think the GT is a little more nimble than both the TR and the S1000, but brakes and suspension on the TR are a bunch better than the SCs. Those things you cant feel by sitting on the bike in the showroom.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ergonomically yes but the sporty nature is more like the Sport1000 and I think the GT is a little more nimble than both the TR and the S1000, but brakes and suspension on the TR are a bunch better than the SCs. Those things you cant feel by sitting on the bike in the showroom.
I just came back from seeing the TR for the 1st time liked the ergo's. The dealer said that the
with the fairing you need to lower the clip-ons but could not saw how much do you know since
you have the fairing on yours?

·
Bon Vivant
10,575 Posts
I just came back from seeing the TR for the 1st time liked the ergo's. The dealer said that the
with the fairing you need to lower the clip-ons but could not saw how much do you know since
you have the fairing on yours?
The dealer is wrong, I have the stock clip-ons on my bike. The kit comes with lower clip-ons but you can use either set.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The dealer is wrong, I have the stock clip-ons on my bike. The kit comes with lower clip-ons but you can use either set.
Dosn't surprise me about them being wrong at all thanks for the reply. I feels really good with the stock clip-ons but I also like the fairing did not want to have to lower them. By looking at this Picture next to yours I can now see the difference.
preview.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Mannn...............isnt that lovely.

·
Smut peddler
900 Posts
Was at a Triumph 2020 launch party last night. Triumph is doing everything right, on every model. If funds weren't already allocated for other things, a thruxton would be in my garage.

·
Bon Vivant
10,575 Posts
Man...I do NOT need to ride one of these. :eek:
I think you also have to look at these bikes in context though, There are a lot more powerful, nimble, better performing bikes out there - like your Tuono Chuck, But in the retro arena the Triumph 1200's and the SC's are still class leaders.

There are a few newcomers to the party too, like the Z900RS and Suzuki's Katana. I love my Z9, it is faster and more nimble than the Thruxton but it's got cheap suspension and brake components. I think Suzuki missed the Mark with the new Katana - it's a little too modern and doesnt give us a realistic approximation of the original vintage machine. I'm a Katana nut but the new bike doesnt check any boxes for me.

Some people would argue that the R9T should play in this sandbox, it does have comparable performance but for me it's a bit like the Katana in that its not close enough to its namesake to bring that original impression back to us. Does it really look like a /5? Not to me it doesn't, but it is one bike I'd still love to spend some time on and it is a fantastic bike on it's own merrits. One thing that has turned some folks off to the R9T is that now there are too many models and variations, they seem to be a dime a dozen these days.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The new 2020 Thruxton RS will have the same motor as the TFC Thruxton
lighter cases ported head lighter internals more HP and Torque higher RPM
etc. But the looks are more blacked out and the paint is a multi color matte
or black as the only options. Even though it has an updated Motor reminds
me of the change from the DS 1100 to the 1100 Evo in the 1st gen Hypermotards
I like the looks of the 2019 better. It's 8 more HP and 700rpm higher redline
but it should rev quicker as well this has me 2nd thinking The discounted
2019 for now.

·
Bon Vivant
10,575 Posts
The new 2020 Thruxton RS will have the same motor as the TFC Thruxton
lighter cases ported head lighter internals more HP and Torque higher RPM
etc. But the looks are more blacked out and the paint is a multi color matte
or black as the only options. Even though it has an updated Motor reminds
me of the change from the DS 1100 to the 1100 Evo in the 1st gen Hypermotards
I like the looks of the 2019 better. It's 8 more HP and 700rpm higher redline
but it should rev quicker as well this has me 2nd thinking The discounted
2019 for now.
I'm not a fan of flat paint on anything but I do like the gloss black paint scheme. Prefer the brushed engine parts but black stuff is more in style these days and I don't think it looks bad on the black bike. Hell I might even pull all my case covers some day and polish them because it looks more authentic and vintage to me.

It looks like the fairing is standard now which is good but I wonder if they all have the low clip-ons now.

I wouldn't be afraid of buy a 19 or a used earlier bike - I dont think you'll be dissapointed in the power output even with an 8hp deficit. I wouldn't trade mine for one of the new ones.

241 - 253 of 253 Posts