Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

221 - 240 of 253 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
I think if I owned one of these bikes it would be the first bike I didn't change the exhaust system on. But that's easy to say from here. :)
I probably should have taken that advice. The tone is good but it does have that "tied in a straitjacket" essence. The bike runs so perfect I hate to screw with it and if it gives me any trouble at all the stock system goes right back on. But it doesnt sound like my old thruxton and I do miss the aural sensation of riding that bike - like thunder with a British accent. The new Zard looks more like the oiginal thruxton Race mufflers than any other system on the market so far. An original Truxton Racer can be seen in the video posted above. It had megaphones like the old Manx Nortons.

We'll see how this goes - I put a Zard on my Aprilia and the bike started to miss a bit at part throttle. The muffler now sits on the bench until I decide weather I want to install an ECU - I kinda doubt I will because the bike runs and sounds great with the stock muffler. I installed the zard simply because the stocker is bulky and not as nice looking. Thats not enough to make me ride it with fueling issues.

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
It showed up today! :grin2: I ordered this from Italy and I figured it would take about a month to get here. But I got a shipping notification just a couple of days ago and now its here.

I bought both the Cross pipe cat delete and the Zard mufflers but My thought was to try the mufflers first and see how I like them before installing the cross pipe. The cat delete would surely create the need for a retune and I'm not keen on doing all that work to get it right when the bike is just fine as it is.

So when the box arrived today I installed the muffs and went for a ride!

The pipes alone do sound louder and a little rougher. In-fact I dont think I'd like the bike to be any louder than it is so I'll probably keep the Cat and call it done. I'll ride the bike for a few outings and if I continue to like it I'll post the decat pipe on ebay.

I do love the looks of this system - it fits the style of the bike just perfectly and the finish is superb. over-all I'm quite happy and I think we made the right choice - thanks guys! :wink2:

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
Man this old thread started way back in 2016, now here it is the first couple of days of 2020 (and still no freakin jet pack or flying car!) but I still have the Thruxton and I still absolutely love it every time I take it out. Nothing has this much retro cool while still giving modern performance! And I love how it feels at home next to an old Ducati bevel!

Oh and that Kaw in the background has some pretty awesome performance for a retro too now that I've fixed the piss poor fueling that it come standard with.

·
Smut peddler
957 Posts
Anyone have experience on both a sport classic and a thruxton R? Be interesting to hear the comparison. Or a GT1000 vs thruxton?

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
It's nice to see you let it out of its crate to take a picture...:p That wasn't much of a comparison tho.
I actually rode the thing although I never took any pics of it out in the wild... I had a buddy who also owned one and we made it a point to get them both out on the road together fairly often. This was my first Ducati and I rode it on group rides with the local Ducati club.

I bought it used and it was 7 years old and had 7 miles on it. The first owner didnt ride it but he did let the gas sit in the tank and turn to syrup over its life. When I turned the key after making the purchase both plastic fuel quick release fittings had gone brittle and burst under the fuel pump's pressure spewing stinking molasses gas all over me and everything in my trailer. My first job after getting this bike home was to strip the tank, fuel pump, and batteries out of it and replace them and every hose and fitting in the fuel system.

This bike was responsible for me falling in love with the magic of the performance Vtwin and the music of the duc. I soon bought a Monster so I didnt stack up the miles on the MH. But I did continue to ride for the entire time I owned it. It made the most glorious music I've ever heard from any Ducati and that includes bevel drive roundcase bikes equipped with contis...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Re the Thruxton, don't forget to drill the holes in the tank strap....

·
Registered
825 Posts
Anyone have experience on both a sport classic and a thruxton R? Be interesting to hear the comparison. Or a GT1000 vs thruxton?
Yes, I have been wanting to know how the Sport 1000/1000s compares to the Thruxton R as well. I know the Thruxton is slightly up in horsepower and torque but the Ducati weighs about 50 pounds less. Seems like they would be pretty similar...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
With The discounts on the 2019's I have been thinking about a Thruxton R its raining and cold in NorCal
I might get a test ride in on Sat if the weather agrees. I sold my 06 Mono SC 1000 after my 2nd Tank was
going Bad The only other thing was I never really could really pin it down but the styling of the rear of the
SC just seemed off.

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts
Everyone who rides my Thruxton absolutely loves it. A buddy of mine who happens to own a very tricked out 06 Sport 1000 borrowed it when he flew out to meet me for a week of riding the dragon. He went home and immediately bought a Thruxton R for himself, within a couple of weeks he had his Sport 1000 up for sale. He never really got along the the SC and he owns several motorcycles so it had been sitting un-ridden for a long time anyway. (he never did sell it though and he still has it)

Performance wise I think the two bike compare favorably, both bikes turn more like a sportbike than a standard, which is to say more stable and not overly nimble. Power is similar but the SC revs out a little further and makes it's power higher in the rev range. The Thruxton has a redline of about 7500 RPM (I think) but it is very responsive and can wheelie with the best of them. The trans and clutch on the Thruxton are amazingly smooth and accurate, the SC is typical Ducati fair, works fine but nothing notable.

Stock the Thruxton R has fully adjustable Ohlins twin shocks on the rear and top of the line Showa front forks, Both of which are light years ahead of the cost conscious bits on the SC. Likewise Brembo radial calipers and master are much more capable and tractable than the stockers on the Sport.

Even with all of that two things set the Triumph apart from the SC; Comfort and throttle control. The R is just worlds more comfortable than a sport 1000; from the relaxed ergonomics to the suppleness of the ride. Even deep in the corner I feel more comfortable on the Triumph. But the R's best feature is perfect fuel management that monitors and sets itself even when you change exhaust systems. Thats right, no need to get your bike dynoed, tuned, or reflashed. Just change your parts, do a 12 minute learning procedure, and go ride. The fueling is a thing of beauty; smooth, responsive, with no flat spots hiccups or burbles, it just works like it should. And that perfect throttle control and relaxed ergos are probably the biggest reasons everyone who rides The Thruxton R instantly falls in love with it.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I kept my Thruxton R for about 2 years. Loved the engine, but couldn't bond with the bike. Ergos were not good for me. Traded it in for a Street Triple R, which is a fun little bike. I still miss the Thrux's engine though...

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
The Thruxton R is probably the top 1 or 2 bike that I've owned

·
Registered
825 Posts
Can you ride the Thruxton R's two-up. I see you don't have rear passenger pegs on either of the two pictured in this thread. I was wondering if it can be setup at all for two passengers. My wife and I rode on my 05 Thruxton a lot together and it was surprisingly comfortable unless you got in stop-n-go traffic where it would put a lot of pressure on your wrists. I have a three year old daughter and once she gets old enough to sit on the back, I plan on getting another bike to ride her on (best excuse I can come up for the wife). The Thruxton R is on the list, but I never really paid attention to see if it is an option or will I have to keep looking...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well I just looked on the Triumph Configurator site and I see you can add a dual seat with rear pegs. Now if they will just make one in a gloss black instead of the matte black they did a few years back.

·
Señor Member
8,152 Posts
Last year I took a Thruxton R out for a test ride. Indeed, what a great performing and comfortable bike. Had I not already had three bikes I would have bought one.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Man this old thread started way back in 2016, now here it is the first couple of days of 2020 (and still no freakin jet pack or flying car!) but I still have the Thruxton and I still absolutely love it every time I take it out. Nothing has this much retro cool while still giving modern performance! And I love how it feels at home next to an old Ducati bevel!

View attachment 978286

Oh and that Kaw in the background has some pretty awesome performance for a retro too now that I've fixed the piss poor fueling that it come standard with.

Can I come with you on your next bank heist? (pretty sure that's the only way I could afford that equipment you've got)

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts

So, after seeing prices range from high 12's to mid 15k this may not be such a bad deal......................

·
Bon Vivant
10,741 Posts

So, after seeing prices range from high 12's to mid 15k this may not be such a bad deal......................
And its extremely rare! :ROFLMAO:

221 - 240 of 253 Posts