Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,542 Posts
alright but back to the point, I'm hoping to get some opines on the right look for my Thruxton, and yeah, those stupid Scrambler pipes are not - its a cafe bike not a dirt bike.

Right now I'm leaning toward having Meerkat build something custom for me or one of these:

Any opinions on these guys?

Attachments

·
Señor Member
8,096 Posts
Reverse cones are such a classic look. I have a pair of Mistrals on my V7, they look and sound great.

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
10,542 Posts
Yeah, I'm not so Sure I'm going for the usual classic look. Reverse cones are the gold standard but maybe something that looks a bit more modern but pays homage to tradition - kinda the way the bike does...
For me the Real mother of all performance pipes is the Megaphone like you would see on a Manx from the 50's. That's why I like the Zard.

I did a couple of quick photoshops of the Zard and SC project pipes on a bike that looks more like mine so I can get a good look at what it will look like with a silver bike with a fairing:

Attachments

·
Smut peddler
900 Posts
While I love the sound and look of the comp Werkes on my monster, I'm just not feeling it on the thruxton. I like the look of a longer can on that bike, so I'd say zard or long SC gets the nod. Tough choice, but a fun one nonetheless.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Not a big fan of the "no rear" look, these days just me but the cafe look has evolved into a "get the cut saw" rear section, I don't mean just license plate bracket.

·
Bon Vivant
10,542 Posts
Not a big fan of the "no rear" look, these days just me but the cafe look has evolved into a "get the cut saw" rear section, I don't mean just license plate bracket.
I do like a light looking rear section but I totally agree with you that most have taken it too far:

I especially dis-like the trend of a flat-pad seat. Cafe bikes have a curved hump and a single seat. I dont know what these things are:

·
Registered
817 Posts
While I love the sound and look of the comp Werkes on my monster, I'm just not feeling it on the thruxton. I like the look of a longer can on that bike, so I'd say zard or long SC gets the nod. Tough choice, but a fun one nonetheless.
Since you knocked my single sided "scrambler" pipes....(ha-ha). I tend to agree with Jackie here. I do agree that the reverse cones are the usual look of choice....I couldn't wait to get a set of BC Predators on my 05 Thruxton. Classic look and amazing sound. Out of the choices you have I would vote this as well.

The Thruxton R is a beautiful bike, no matter which exhaust you choose, should still look good!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Obie, if you had another choice what would it be?
Hiyas Mike.....i appreciate what you're wanting to do, and that is, not to use the more typical reverse cone styled pipe. i too like the "zaniness" of the Zard pipes but they're simply too much in my eyes. the pipes shown in the pic (in my reply) are almost perfect, without the decal/plate they might just be.

i like the more typical reverse cones......the Mistrals that Redpato points to are super sweet sounding and i like their conservative nature. my v7 wore them as well, one of the better sounding motor/pipe combos i've heard in some while.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Um, the pipes in the picture in your reply are the Zard silencers.
Whatever they are i like them. I thought there was a posted pic of some other Zard pipes (much more radical in design) shown elsewhere, perhaps I'm confused. Regardless, all that matters is the look I like, not who makes them. ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My vote was for the 2nd Triumph from the top in your post, the SC cans flush with the rear of the shock... Trumpets are what we used to call Triumphs back in the day(circa 70's, while working as a teenager/shop rat in a Norton, Ducati, Moto Guzzi shop)

·
Bon Vivant
10,542 Posts
Well I did it guys. I quite agree with the consensus here so I ordered the conical Zard system. Lets hope the Italians can get it here before the end of summer. 0:)
I will be bringing the bike to ECM in May so a few of you will get to see it in the flesh. I hope the system is here before then but I'm not holding my breath.

Something I thought pretty cool and you guys might like to see: Steve Parish rode a new box stock Thruxton R around the 37 mile IOM TT course at an average of 109MPH!

·
Registered
166 Posts
wow these much posts for a non-Ducati bike, it must be a good one :grin2:

Have rode test it twice also did once the Sport 1000. Definitively liked the Thruxton R. Creamy ride and sound with a touch of sporty, very nice quality finishes and lots of possibilities to customize. A winner.

Ah and twin engine with "almost" one exhaust per cylinder :nerd:

201 - 220 of 253 Posts