Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

181 - 200 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've got the big boy 1098. Just rode her to work today and she's got power in all the right places.

The thing I'd don't didn't like about the monster 1100 series was the feeling of "loosing steam" and needing more upshifts. And at that time I was only comparing it to liter I4.

Maybe the thruxton R is like the new hot chick. It's more fun to look at than to ride than my current stable mate.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bon Vivant
10,574 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've got the big boy 1098. Just rode her to work today and she's got power in all the right places.

The thing I'd don't didn't like about the monster 1100 series was the feeling of "loosing steam" and needing more upshifts. And at that time I was only comparing it to liter I4.

Maybe the thruxton R is like the new hot chick. It's more fun to look at than to ride than my current stable mate.

The 1100 drops off at about 9k, if you dont like that feeling you wont like the Thruxton; it has nice pull down low but it drops off at about 7k! It's not that you have to shift all the time but you do have to ride it in a completely different rev range and its strange to get used to. I know a guy that bought a Multi and never felt right on it because he kept riding it at 2000 to 4000 revs - said it made no power. He just couldn't wrap his head around riding it where it needed to be ridden. He sold it and bought a Triumph Tiger.

You wouldn't compare your Streetfighter to your vintage Triumph would you? I think you need to keep the SF and compare the thruxton to the old Bonnie, Thats where things would feel more appropriate.

·
Registered
817 Posts
All of this talk about spoke-wheels and retro bikes has made me hand the baby over to the wife for a couple of hours and pull out my 1000s for probably the last ride for a while....at least until March 2017.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I used the triumph brand FEK and LED signals - they are not available in the US but any dealership in the UK will ship them here. I bought them from World of Triumph but I think they are all over Ebay as well. (and it was all a lot cheaper than many of the aftermarket offerings of far lesser quality! Some of these aftermarket guys are getting greedy.)

Ok Mike.....please give up your trade secrets......i ordered the same FEK and turn signals that you did but my FEK looks nothing like yours. I used the included parts and my plate is mounted much lower, my feeling is you either didn't use one of the parts or cut one of them down, or something of the sort. Yours looks much better than mine.....please share?

·
Bon Vivant
10,574 Posts
I think I mentioned somewhere that I modified the Triumph part because - as you found out - its a monster.

There are three parts to the plate bracket, Dont use the middle part, just bolt the final plate holder to the cast part that bolts to the frame. You have to dremel out a small relief to make it fit.

You don't use the parts with red X's in this pic:

Is that pretty clear? I then mounted the plate to the bracket using the reflector holders. I cut the ends off and re-drilled for the license plate and mounted them on each side so the plate would cover the lower center part of the bracket that hangs down. I also fabricated a spacer to hold the license light above the plate but it's less than elegant and I wouldn't recommend it. I may redesign that spacer in CAD and 3D print it. If I ever get that done I'll send you one. In the mean time it might be better to use LED bolt lights like these

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
many thanks.....very much appreciated....looks like i have more work to do....and just finished putting it all back together!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Flyn, thank you.....easily and quickly unbolted the license plate bracket, dremeled out a notch at its top, removed the extension bracket (intmd piece), shrink wrapped the license plate wire connection, and tucked the wiring well enough away. It's not as "tidy/complete" as with the extension bracket (tends to cover up more of the exposed wiring at the turn signal area) but it's also not so low hanging either. i like it this way much better.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
You wouldn't compare your Streetfighter to your vintage Triumph would you? I think you need to keep the SF and compare the thruxton to the old Bonnie, Thats where things would feel more appropriate.

Told the wifey about selling the red one and getting a thruxton R. She said sell the vintage one because I'll never ride it after having the new one.

Dam you females! Trying to put logic in an illogical decision.

·
Señor Member
8,101 Posts
This past Tuesday, while in SoCal, I stopped by Southern California Motorsports in Brea and took a Thruxton R out for a test ride. First off, I rode a flat black one, the worst color by far for any motorcycle. From the first time I saw one I thought they are a very good looking retro bike, keeping mostly true to what the old Triumph looked like. This was a very smooth shifting and cornering bike. Felt light and agile. However, there is something missing, to me at least, in how it should "feel" as in feeling like a vintage bike. I must not be their target customer because all those rider aids and do-dads are lost on me. I like simplicity in a vintage styled bike as evidenced by both my GT and V7. I'm guessing Triumph will sell plenty of these and I hope they do. I did not try the non S model, it might have been more to my liking.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,198 Posts
So...late to the party. I finally got to see one of these in the flesh, a red one, and Oh! I am totally smitten!! What a beautiful bike! It's the ONLY new bike I want!

Now, about that price tag...:(

·
Bon Vivant
10,574 Posts
So...late to the party. I finally got to see one of these in the flesh, a red one, and Oh! I am totally smitten!! What a beautiful bike! It's the ONLY new bike I want!

Now, about that price tag...:(
I know where you might be able to get a slightly used one :wink2:
(no, not mine)

·
Bon Vivant
10,574 Posts
Its been a while since I've visited this thread and now that spring is here and I have a few miles on the Thruxy I think it might be time for a new exhaust system >:) I need your input. I have 3 options that interest me:

Meerkat shorties, these are custom made in Australia:

Cone engineering shorties:

Both of these options are pretty standard shortie reverse megaphones that fit the period style. They both have an option for an X pipe that fits in place of the cat - the cat is the eater of most of the exhaust sound and the holder of most of the back pressure so without the X pipe its never gonna be very loud and it wont require any tuning. The Xpipe is not very expensive but its a lot of work to install - I figure its worth a try and can easily be reversed if I don't like how the bike runs or sounds.

The last option and so far its a just a tad ahead of the others is Zard. Zard always does something different and the system they did for this bike fits their style. A megaphone system right out of the 50's with a purely modern look and quality Zard also has a decat Xpipe option:

So what do you guys think? any opinions?
There are videos of all of these running out there. They do sound a little different in the vids but who can really tell, the videos camera, mic, the environment, all change the sound and trying to decide from a youtube video is about as precise as rolling the dice.

·
Registered
817 Posts

So what do you guys think? any opinions?

I haven't heard how any of them sound on the Thruxton so I can't really give you an opinion but personally I do not like the way the Zard exhaust cans look. I do like the looks of the Cone engineering Shorties.

Whenever I finally pull the trigger and get one I am leaning towards going this way with the exhaust.

Before I do, I will have to check one out to see what kind of clearance there is with you right leg and how hot these get.

·
Señor Member
8,101 Posts
I haven't heard how any of them sound on the Thruxton so I can't really give you an opinion but personally I do not like the way the Zard exhaust cans look. I do like the looks of the Cone engineering Shorties.

Whenever I finally pull the trigger and get one I am leaning towards going this way with the exhaust.

Before I do, I will have to check one out to see what kind of clearance there is with you right leg and how hot these get.
I recently sat on their scrambler. If this pipe is near the shape of theirs your right leg will touch it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I recently sat on their scrambler. If this pipe is near the shape of theirs your right leg will touch it.
I don't necessarily mind if it touches, I just don't want it to put my leg at a weird angle. I plan on checking out the new Scrambler at my dealer in a few weeks as well as test ride a new Thruxton R. Here's an above shot of the Scrambler. It kind of bends it's way around with the bike. Not sure if this is the case with the exhaust on the R. The upside with the R is it is a 2 into 1 instead of the 2 into 2 like on the Scrambler.

181 - 200 of 253 Posts