Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone plan on getting one? My dealer just got the 1st shipments in.

Posted it here because it's not a Ducati.

·
Bon Vivant
10,743 Posts
My dealer here in Greensboro got one today, He called and I happened to be about 10 miles away so I stopped in to take a look. The bike looks fantastic with great fit and finish and many really high quality details. I also noticed that the paint was color sanded and buffed to perfection.

I love the high end showa forks although I would have preferred they go with ohlins front and rear. I wasnt too keen on the black fenders and side covers - just not sure why the chose that route rather than have the whole paint job match.

I did get a chance to sit on it and I really like the position - the clip-ons feel just right - not too low and not sit-up and beg. The bike also feels very light - or at least it feels like it has a low center of gravity, and it feels small - but not tiny. I really like it. I'm going to go back tomorrow and take a short ride - Very interested!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That would be great on the rode and review. More comfortable than the 06 sport classic for comparisons?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
These things are going to fly out the showrooms... Excited to see one myself.

For the record, I hated how uncomfortable my '06 Sport 1000 was. Sounds like that isn't the case with this new Thruxton.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Same, had the 07 SC. Was a killer on long rides but oh so pretty. Thruxton looks great although very heavy still I hear.

Any thoughts on the new cafe Yamaha? Xsr900? Looks great in the anniversary yellow, low sticker price and that Yamaha triple is sweet.

·
Bon Vivant
10,743 Posts
Yeah a good friend of mine has an 06 sport1000 and it was a killer. We did a swap on his bike and put the GT bars on it - now its fantastic to ride.
From my brief few minutes of sitting on the new thrux it seems perfect. I really like the position, and WAY more comfortable than the sport1000. I'll know more tomorrow.

The bike did not feel heavy to me at all - I rode in on my Aprilia Tuono and the Thrux felt very light in comparison. Also the sales guy told me the new 1200 has the same torque as the speed triple! - wow, should be a close match to the performance of the sport classics

I'll take some pics...

·
Bon Vivant
10,743 Posts
Any thoughts on the new cafe Yamaha? Xsr900? Looks great in the anniversary yellow, low sticker price and that Yamaha triple is sweet.
I absolutely love that bike too. The dealer near me doesnt seem to stock all of the bikes from yamaha (Ive still never seen the new R1 in person) Id buy the XSR as a commuter or an all rounder, I think the Thrux is more of a retro vibe. I just love the bikes that I already have so I'm not sure why I want the thruxton - I just like it - a classic without all of the headaches

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^^ sat on the r1 with the m1 there to. Great looking bike. But it felt with my short arms I was doing a constant push up. Couldn't do it as commuter.

+1 on the new thruxtons vintage looks without the vintage issues.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My dealer here in Greensboro got one today, He called and I happened to be about 10 miles away so I stopped in to take a look. The bike looks fantastic with great fit and finish and many really high quality details. I also noticed that the paint was color sanded and buffed to perfection.

I love the high end showa forks although I would have preferred they go with ohlins front and rear. I wasnt too keen on the black fenders and side covers - just not sure why the chose that route rather than have the whole paint job match.

I did get a chance to sit on it and I really like the position - the clip-ons feel just right - not too low and not sit-up and beg. The bike also feels very light - or at least it feels like it has a low center of gravity, and it feels small - but not tiny. I really like it. I'm going to go back tomorrow and take a short ride - Very interested!
They are very nice. Triumph has really done great job on these. Even though they are water-cooled, you have to look very hard to see any hoses. They do utilize fins on the engine to help air cool it as well. I guess this helped in keeping the radiator smaller in size. I agree with you on the black side covers.

I like the position of the bars as well but when you put on the fairing you will have to put on lower clip-ons to work with the fairing just like the sport classics. All the reviews are praising how good the engine is, lots of torque every where. The price of the thruxton r is $14,500. Add the fairing and it's another $1000. You can also add the high performance cam kit to it, not sure what the price will be or the specs on it. I own an 05 thruxton and love it. I am adding another bike to my garage in 2018. I was leaning towards the Norton 961 but with all the problems they had and the closest dealer in either Texas or Pennsylvania from Atlanta, not to mention that the thruxton will be close to $7000 cheaper, I'm probably going to go with the thruxton. I like both colors they offer, red and silver, but already owning a red sc1000s and a Paul Smart (my thruxton is yellow), I am hoping that they put out a black one.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts after your test ride flynbulldog. I got to sit on one at triumph's unveiling here in Atlanta a few months back and just last weekend at my local dealer Triumph of North America, which is in Atlanta, let them have a silver one for us to sit on again, sorry no test rides. I am actually surprised that you are getting to test ride one. Most have been pre-sold. Jealous!!!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Just had a look at the Yamaha and, although I'm a fan of triples, the look of it with that huge radiator is a turn off. I would need clip ons and a 1/4 fairing as well. To me the look of the Thruxton in grey w/1/4 fairing is much nicer.

·
Bon Vivant
10,743 Posts
They are very nice. Triumph has really done great job on these. Even though they are water-cooled, you have to look very hard to see any hoses. They do utilize fins on the engine to help air cool it as well. I guess this helped in keeping the radiator smaller in size. I agree with you on the black side covers.

I like the position of the bars as well but when you put on the fairing you will have to put on lower clip-ons to work with the fairing just like the sport classics. All the reviews are praising how good the engine is, lots of torque every where. The price of the thruxton r is $14,500. Add the fairing and it's another $1000. You can also add the high performance cam kit to it, not sure what the price will be or the specs on it. I own an 05 thruxton and love it. I am adding another bike to my garage in 2018. I was leaning towards the Norton 961 but with all the problems they had and the closest dealer in either Texas or Pennsylvania from Atlanta, not to mention that the thruxton will be close to $7000 cheaper, I'm probably going to go with the thruxton. I like both colors they offer, red and silver, but already owning a red sc1000s and a Paul Smart (my thruxton is yellow), I am hoping that they put out a black one.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts after your test ride flynbulldog. I got to sit on one at triumph's unveiling here in Atlanta a few months back and just last weekend at my local dealer Triumph of North America, which is in Atlanta, let them have a silver one for us to sit on again, sorry no test rides. I am actually surprised that you are getting to test ride one. Most have been pre-sold. Jealous!!!
I've lusted after the Norton for years - I waited - put my name on lists (never got a call) and put money aside for the day that one could be had in the US. I still think the bike is a work of art and it looks and feels very hand built. Last year they landed, I called all of the dealer's in the US and found one in NY (BTW there's a dealer in Florida that may be closer to you). But at well over $20k I flinched and started to do some research. The bikes have problems - lots of problems. And with dealers being so far away I feared my ownership could be a nightmare. And like you 20k is too much to spend on a bike that will likely be a headache. And also like you I think this Thruxton is a great substitute for that and we both know that modern Triumphs are generally trouble-free.

They do make it in black but my dealer told me there's a premium price and its very limited in number of units so he couldn't get one - they are a very small dealership.

I also owned a 2005 thruxton in the past - I'm really glad they stepped it up this time - this bike with its premium brakes and suspension and much higher spec engine is much more of what I want in a retro. I'm sure I'll spend a ridiculous amount on stuff for the bike - it cant be avoided.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Nice looking Thruxton. I am pretty sure I've seen that one before. Are you on the TriumphRat forums as well? MY 05 is basically 11 years old with 45k miles and I have been very pleased with the way it has held up both mechanically and in the build or quality of the materials used. It still looks almost like it did the day it came off the show room floor. See picture.

I did see that they were making it in Black but from what I heard it was a matte black and not as many as the other 2 colors. I personally don't like the matte and as you know for years other than fuel injection and clip ons.....different colors are the only thing that triumph really changed on these bikes from 04 to 15. So, I am guessing that they will be putting out more colors in the next few years. I like the black also because it will match up with the side covers.

They do make it in black but my dealer told me there's a premium price and its very limited in number of units so he couldn't get one - they are a very small dealership.

I also owned a 2005 thruxton in the past - I'm really glad they stepped it up this time - this bike with its premium brakes and suspension and much higher spec engine is much more of what I want in a retro. I'm sure I'll spend a ridiculous amount on stuff for the bike - it cant be avoided.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 253 Posts