Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using to lubricate the throttle tube to handle bar?- metal to plastic. My 92' is getting a little dry in there and slowing down some.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
What are you guys using to lubricate the throttle tube to handle bar?- metal to plastic. My 92' is getting a little dry in there and slowing down some.
Id probably try paraffin wax. Slippery, moisture resistant, won't attract dirt n dust.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Every time I have tried a lube in there it has made things more gummed up, I prefer a smooth no-lubed finish. Start by disassembling and cleaning everything but then polish both surfaces if possible. The tube should have zero drag without lube if not something is holding you up. It might be a good time to lube cables/check routing while apart.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Might as well take it apart and clean the throttle housing, tube, bar and lube the cable while you're at it. A little WD40 or other lubricating spray, light oil, etc. Dry lube spray with PTFE is also an option for the tube.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every time I have tried a lube in there it has made things more gummed up, I prefer a smooth no-lubed finish. Start by disassembling and cleaning everything but then polish both surfaces if possible. The tube should have zero drag without lube if not something is holding you up. It might be a good time to lube cables/check routing while apart.
This makes a lot of sense- Its def the tube part thats sticky - did the cables when i rebuild the carb-

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I'm with ducvet, every time I've tried to lube that area, it has ended up worse after a short period of time. Well routed, lubed throttle cables plus clean tube parts is the way to go I reckon. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
BTW, when I said use wax I meant polish the metal with it like you'd polish a granite countertop.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts