Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slid down the track on the left side, dealt with the bent clip-ons, rearsets, fairings and so on. But the weird issue I'm having is that now the throttle is stuck at around 4k but only when the cables are connected to the tube and everything is bolted down. When the cables are just dangling everything runs fine. Also when I try to turn the throttle tube forward past the stopping point and hold it there it drops back down to normal idle. The fast idle lever is in the normal position, not contributing to anything here. What could have happened here? Do I need to adjust the throttle cables at all?

Might be worth noting that for some reason, after the lowside the cables would bind up against the fairing stay when trying to turn the handlebars to the right and the RPMs would shoot up to like 7-8k. I guess a tie broke off or something but they lay in a weird spot now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd check to see that the cables are free, it sounds to me like they're binding. The cable got pinched, so the metal sheath that carries the cable could be bent or pinched. I'd inspect the cable closely, see if you can manually actuate the cable, etc. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the model of bike you've got, but you may want to undo the clamps one by one and see if by removing any one in particular the issue gets better.

I suspect the cable got pinched and may just need to be replaced, but before doing that check all your return springs, etc.

If this is on your 749 let me know, I've got an '04 and I've got my fairings off right now. If you need a photo of something for reference I may be able to help out.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Make sure no clamps are holding the shield/housing away from seating on either end and that the housing is pushed into any pocket/barrel where the housing connects at both ends. Since the cable would not get tighter on its own, something is making the housing part of the cable longer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The top cable pulls fine, I feel no binding with the cable and the metal sheathing. The bottom cable pushes in without resistance as well. It's as if the trouble comes once I apply the guards around the throttle tube and tight them down. Seems that when everything is in place the cables are slightly tensioned.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd check to see that the cables are free, it sounds to me like they're binding. The cable got pinched, so the metal sheath that carries the cable could be bent or pinched. I'd inspect the cable closely, see if you can manually actuate the cable, etc. I'm not familiar with the specifics of the model of bike you've got, but you may want to undo the clamps one by one and see if by removing any one in particular the issue gets better.

I suspect the cable got pinched and may just need to be replaced, but before doing that check all your return springs, etc.

If this is on your 749 let me know, I've got an '04 and I've got my fairings off right now. If you need a photo of something for reference I may be able to help out.

Hope this helps.
If you can get it, a picture of the way the cables are situated or secured around the steering head would help me a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In referencing my bike, the throttle cables are routed in front of the right fork tube, through the opening in the back of the headlight housing, and then between the head tube and the left fork tube, then under the tank. Hopefully the attached photos help. For reference mine is a 2004 749 Dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem has been resolved. There are 2 plastic sleeves at the tube end of the cables that act as somewhat of a frame to position the cables around the throttle tube, and they are crimped onto the metal sheath that the push/pull cables move inside.

Somehow the pull cable's plastic piece separated itself from the metal sheath and wasn't seating all the way down to its original position. This caused the pull cable to be in a slightly tensioned position at rest. I stripped some of the mangled plastic coating covering the metal sheath to allow plastic frame sleeve to sit all the way over it. After focusing on that one potential cause I got everything back together and tightened up and now it works beautifully.

As far as the cable routing goes, I tried to mimic how they would lay if the headlight bucket was still there and simply used a giant zip tie to hold them tight around the steering head.

Thanks jahjah and big_how for the help. Now I can confidently sign up for the next track day :grin2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts