Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was putting on my brand new Rizoma billet grips and endcaps on my 2006 800SS. Clutch side went fine, no problem and they look great.

Throttle side was a different story. I put the throttle side on and there is a big honking gap between the grip and the endcap so I say: "No problem! I'll just move the throttle control a centimeter or so!"

Well, it seems that doesn't work that way. The bottom half of the throttle cable housing has a little nipple that fits into a hole drilled into my handlebars, and there's no hole further down. So I'm like, wtf?

So what is a guy to do? Do I move the control down and just crank down on the screws to keep it secure on the handlebar? Is that safe? Or do I try to drill another hole farther down on a cylindrical surface for the nipple to fit into? Or do I cut the nipple off? What's the best solution to this?

·
Registered
341 Posts
if it were me I will drill another hole, if it bothered you that much. personally I hate having to deal with peoples bikes as a mechanic when people grind those nipples off, I think its very unprofessional to do work like that (grind the nipple)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
if it were me I will drill another hole, if it bothered you that much. personally I hate having to deal with peoples bikes as a mechanic when people grind those nipples off, I think its very unprofessional to do work like that (grind the nipple)
Those nipple things are a relatively new invention. I'm not quite sure when the first one surfaced as a factory locator, but I've been riding for 40 years and they haven't been around that long. Prior to the advent of these PITA things it was a simple matter to loosen the switch cluster and roll the brake/clutch levers to your preferred position. Those little nipples preclude doing this easily. Also you used to easily extend or shorten your handle-bar length as much as a couple of inches with a splice or a cut to the bar. Again, the nipple thing complicates this process.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that that nipple is a legal-department liability avoidance device.

I think nipples have only one proper place (well maybe two), and that's not on the switch cluster!:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be getting the old drill out this week.

Worst case is I guess I ruin a clip on :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts