Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my experience with buying and using a throat microphone for communicating with other riders when riding in a group.

I was looking for a throat microphone to use to communicate from a Sugar Cane Harvester driver to the cane buggy driver beside it. As a secondary use, it would be used on the Hypermotard for talking to other riders in a group ride. I found it very hard to find information about what would work with Australian UHF CB radios. I tried some throat mics from local stores, but the transmitted voice was indecipherable.

I then stumbled on www.iasus-concepts.com. After reading many rave reviews in blogs (mostly paintball, and airsoft forums), it was evident that the throat mic was good quality, had very good sound quality, and very little interference from outside noise.

This is where the hard work began. The IASUS throat mic has several options for plug types for use with various models of CB radio. The problem was, the compatibility tables only mentioned USA radios, which cannot be used in Australia.

I eventually purchased the IASUS throat mic with two plugs that I thought might work with the radio I had planned to buy. I will list the exact setup I decided on below, with costs so that anyone else looking for a throat microphone can learn from my experience.

IASUS GP3 Throat Mic
http://www.iasus-concepts.com/nt/gp-3.htm
This is a motorbike specific throat microphone. It comes with a Push To Talk (PTT) button that is small enough to fit inside your gloves. It has a very long cable that you feed down your arm, and into your glove. The PTT button is placed on the outside of your index finger, and you push it with your thumb, allowing you to transmit without taking your hands off the handlebars. It also comes with a set of in-helmet speakers. These speakers are low power, and I will not be using them, as I will use my Shure in-ear earphones. If you want to use the helmet speakers, you may opt for the more expensive GP3X2, which comes with a much better quality helmet speaker set.

IASUS Plug
http://www.iasus-concepts.com/nt/compatibility.htm
I chose the Midland (3103) plug for the radio I was about to buy. While the plug does work with the GME radio, the only issue is that it would have been better if this plug was a right angle plug, as the GME handheld radio has the accessory plug on the side of the unit. Oh well, at least it works! Please note that the GP3 Throat mic comes with the accessory plug of your choice included in the price.

GME TX670 handheld Radio
http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-communications/uhf-477mhz-handhelds/TX670TP
I had already decided on this radio as it met my needs. The Midland plug mentioned above works fine with it, including the PTT button. Please note that the Midland plug does NOT work with the GME TX680! The plug fits, and both Mic and speakers work, but plugging in the throat mic will hold the TX680 transmit open forever. It looks like the sensitivity of the PTT signal is too sensitive on the TX680.

At this point in time, the kit above will work. Of course, standard disclaimers apply. If GME change the radio, it may not work. I am most intrigued that the GME TX670 works with this plug, but the GME TX680 does not.

So, what is it like? One word. AWESOME! With my brother on his ZX10, and me on the Hypermotard with Termi exhaust, we could talk to each other with no background noise from either motorbike or wind. The voice just has a little more base than using the microphone. We found that the important thing was to avoid the temptation to shout when the background noise was loud. If you shout, you change the shape of your vocal chords, and it will make the spoken words less clear. I was talking so quietly that I could not hear my own voice at all, and the voice was transmitted perfectly.

There are a couple of minor problems.
- Ideally, the throat mic plug that plugs into the microphone should be a right angle one, as the GME radio has the accessory plug on the side. This means that the throat mic plug sticks out of the side of the radio a fair bit. But given that the plug has both a 3.5mm pin and a 2.5mm pin, it is fairly sturdy.
- The second problem was that the lowest volume setting on the radio was so loud on my Shure branded ear-buds headphones that it was deafening. I have not yet used the helmet speakers that came with the GP3, so cannot comment on them. I got around this by using the optional in-line volume limiter that came with the Shure headphones. I also tried another set of ear-bud headphones, which had a much lower volume than the Shure brand, but at the lowest setting, it was still a little bit loud.

All in all, this has far exceeded my expectations. I would give it full marks for blocking out the background noise, and full marks for the voice quality. If you want a solution for talking to other riders when riding in a pack, this is a great package, at a reasonable price.

I purchased the Throat microphones from http://www.headsetgadgets.com, and the GME radios from http://www.prestigecom.net.au.

Just as an indication, I paid the following in Australian dollars for the setup:

$247.00 Two ISASUS GP3 with Midland plug, delivered to Australia
$189.20 Pack of two GME TX670 radio's
-------
$436.20 Australian Dollars

David

·
Registered
925 Posts
Bumping from the dead, but I just wanted to say thank you for this write up. It is still relevant years later. I am not sure why the throat mic is not more popular for motorcycle, and even automotive use. Your write up is well done and the components appear to still be available and current.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts