Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...hypermotard 821 sp 2014 flywheel nut

manual says torque it to 330 Nm. That’s crazy, am I supposed to jump on top of the torque wrench to get to that?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,678 Posts
...hypermotard 821 sp 2014 flywheel nut

manual says torque it to 330 Nm. That’s crazy, am I supposed to jump on top of the torque wrench to get to that?

Thanks
Yes, in my case with those crazy torque values I used the big sockets and big torque wrench. I've also used the impact gun on the rear axle nuts and life was easier. It was a long time ago and I think I cranked the impact gun for a spell and then checked the torque a few times along the way.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Or use a torque multiplier .... more precise than an impact ... and can produce A LOT more torque than an electric impact gun. Also a lot less costly if you want to go pneumatic since no air compressor is required along with all of the fiddle-niddles that go along with an air system. The torquer may also be used with a torque wrench, just takes a little math to work out the proper readings. A 3:1 multiplier applies 300ft/lbs when the torque wrench reads 100 ft/lbs ... for example. Lastly, a torque multiplier is 100% portable, can be used in the field without power or air.

LINK = https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623947_200623947

Just another option.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Or use a torque multiplier .... more precise than an impact ... and can produce A LOT more torque than an electric impact gun. Also a lot less costly if you want to go pneumatic since no air compressor is required along with all of the fiddle-niddles that go along with an air system. The torquer may also be used with a torque wrench, just takes a little math to work out the proper readings. A 3:1 multiplier applies 300ft/lbs when the torque wrench reads 100 ft/lbs ... for example. Lastly, a torque multiplier is 100% portable, can be used in the field without power or air.

LINK = https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623947_200623947

Just another option.

Holy crap, Batman! I have never seen or heard of one of these before. Absolute gold.... I need to have one. Who wants to put money on there not being any in Australia?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Holy crap, Batman! I have never seen or heard of one of these before. Absolute gold.... I need to have one. Who wants to put money on there not being any in Australia?
For your sake I hope they are available Down Undah.

There is one warning that goes along with using a torque multiplier ... you've got to "know your own strength" (so to speak). Using a (let's say) 3:1 multiplier essentially makes you 3x stronger. If you're not observant and careful, it becomes very easy to snap a bolt right off. So I would not suggest using one except in situations where fastener torque needs to be above ~around~ 150 lb/ft of torque. Even so, care must be taken.

Multipliers are also very handy for busting loose large fasteners, such as large lug nuts on heavy vehicles.

If I recall properly, multipliers are used mostly in the oil fields, especially on pipelines where mating two large pipe flanges requires very high torque levels. These are very large fasteners (like 1.5" diameter and above) that mate lengths of high pressure pipeline together that will be subjected to high internal pressures and temperatures. Think oil, and liquefied natural gas. They're also used in ship yards, railroads and rail yards, off shore oil rigs, and refineries. Just to give a little context and background on the device.

But they can be easily applied to motorcycle maintenance, repair, and fabrication just as well. Kinda like having that big bastard of a guy in your shop who's good for heavy liftin' and busting loose large, high torque fasteners. Handy when needed, but applied with discretion.

Thing is, if it only gets used one time in your shop, it's well worth it's cost. "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" ..... kinda like that shotgun in the closet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys, thanks a lot. I invested in one of those 1/2 inch impact gun and did the job nicely. My one way clutch was super bad so it was not starting smoothly but now is back to normal and boy what a good feeling it is when she fires up now, I did the whole repair myself!

here is a sequence of what was going on, thanks a lot
Sound from hell:(
Comparing good and bad :unsure:
final :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Best of luck to you that the flywheel nut doesn’t back off. That hardware is supposed to be onetime use only and torqued to 330nm (no threadlocker)

When that nut backs off you’ll be in for some serious damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best of luck to you that the flywheel nut doesn’t back off. That hardware is supposed to be onetime use only and torqued to 330nm (no threadlocker)

When that nut backs off you’ll be in for some serious damage.

damn, thanks a lot for the negativity, merry Christmas to you too 👋

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Whenever I see a crazy high torque value I always check with another source or two before tightening. I’ve seen a couple of printing errors that would have resulted in damage had I used the printed torque value.

·
Registered
205 Posts
damn, thanks a lot for the negativity, merry Christmas to you too
Whatever floats your boat mate. Spec has been 330nm for years. I would be taking that apart and redoing it properly. The consequences of it failing as disastrous.

Your other alternatives are the aftermarket jam nuts as even oem ones have backed off at the recommended 330nm.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
no threadlocker is nuts. i use the wurth green, but loctite 270 or whatever version they're at is what i would use if you're using loctite products. liberal use.

can you rent a torque wrench? rattle gun is a bit unknown, but i know people who have a favourite rattle gun they use for jobs like this, but that requires the benefit of experience too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whatever floats your boat mate. Spec has been 330nm for years. I would be taking that apart and redoing it properly. The consequences of it failing as disastrous.

Your other alternatives are the aftermarket jam nuts as even oem ones have backed off at the recommended 330nm.

Oh I see what’s happening here... what makes you think I didn’t torque it to 330 nm?

I did torque it to 335 nm and used the red loctite
I used the impact to removed the nut and during re installation

I think I did pretty good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts