Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Hammer Down
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I switched bikes for about 15 miles and the two bikes are very different. He has a 2010 SF 1098 base for reference.

Obviously the 1098 has gobs (ridiculous gobs really) of power and if you have an opportunity to employ it I'm sure it's addicting. Most of my riding was in light traffic on surface streets so I really only got to really twist it for a few miles on the interstate. You can tell that there is enough power on tap to be like the energizer bunny...keeps going and going...but like I say hard to employ. I would like to have some more time to experience all the power on some more open roads when the po po isn't quite so active.

In the handling department I have to give the nod to the 848...no contest. It was almost laborious to get the 1098 to lean over. Maybe that's what it's like to lean a bike with a steering damper, I don't know. It's like the front end weighed another 20 lbs. My Harley Road Glide was easier to throw into a corner than the 1098 was. :abduct: I'm sure it something that you get used to but you could definitely tell that turn in was slower. Maybe when turning at the speed that the 1098 could easily provide, you don't want the bike to be too flickable. :think:

The 1098 is superior when it comes to braking. The monoblocks slow you down quickly with a light touch. It's a very confident feel when slowing whereas the 848 requires more input at the lever. I think the brakes on the 848 are adequate for that bike but I'm going to consider putting monoblocks on the front at least just to get that awesome brake feel.

Suspension is hard to argue. The 848 almost has a Cadillac ride quality but it gets out of hand when pushed. This is mostly due to me being a heavy guy at 235 and the shocks being a little soft. Not a great combination for a sport oriented bike but compared to the shocks on the base SF 1098 there wasn't a whole lot of difference. Ohlins would definitley make a difference but the cost would be substantial.

When it comes to the clutch, the 848 gets the nod for me b/c I can clearly hear the wonderful sounding Termi's, the take-up is smoother and happens sooner than the 1098 does. I don't think the clutch would have been a deciding factor one way or the other for me.

Overall comfort and ability to use the power goes to the 848. It's not the Hooligan that the 1098 is but I'm satisfied with my choice, I'd rather have handling over power. Obviously I could be biased but I could have had either bike and initially didn't want the cost. I'm going to have to make some decisions on whether or not I want to spend the dough to get better shocks and brakes b/c at that point I will have spent as much just about as the 1098.

There's my opinion on the two bikes after a brief ride, I plan to ride the 1098 some more to get a better feel for the bike...and to abuse the power.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your opinion will be biased for sure. As for the front end feeling heavy, its because it has these two huuuuuuge ballz that hang below the gas tank. Takes a lot to swing them around! :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nice review!

It sounds as though you have a preference but at the same time it sounds as though you're being fair and thorough. You simply prefer the 848 for your type of use.

·
Registered
219 Posts
In the handling department I have to give the nod to the 848...no contest. It was almost laborious to get the 1098 to lean over.

What tires and what kind of shape are they in? My streetfighter has no issue "leaning over" Any bike is going to be less receptive when you are putting around town.

Next time head for a open road. I have nothing against the 848 SF and I would have bought one if they were available when I was shopping but comparing 2 bikes after a short ride around town in traffic is silly to me.

·
Hammer Down
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What tires and what kind of shape are they in? My streetfighter has no issue "leaning over" Any bike is going to be less receptive when you are putting around town.

Next time head for a open road. I have nothing against the 848 SF and I would have bought one if they were available when I was shopping but comparing 2 bikes after a short ride around town in traffic is silly to me.
I wasn't putting when I noticed the leaning differences, I was doing about 65 and on the gas on a long sweeper of an exit ramp.:eek: Tires are Michelin Pilot Power. I may be new to Ducati's but I'm not new to riding motorcycles and it doesn't take hours in the seat to notice big differences in what I mentioned.;) Also I said that I'm sure it's what you are used to and if the 1098 was all I had ever ridden then I would have a different opinion.:) The handling characteristics are totally different between the two bikes. The owner of the 1098 noticed the difference in handling as well. Take the info for what it is, based on a brief experience.

Updated with smilies...don't want to come across as being confrontational.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you read my initial review of my 1098SF I had similar thoughts regarding the handling. When I first bought the bike riding it felt like I was wrestling a cheeseburger from a fat girl. I thought about raising the rear a bit to improve response but I didn't want to mess with any settings until I put new rubber on. I'm glad I waited because my handling issues were 100% tire related. I recently threw on Pilot Powers and now I swear she turns-in telepathically. It's literally like riding a whole new bike. My 2nd gear corners are now 3rd gear corners. How smoked are your buddy's tires? Are they squared off at all?

·
Hammer Down
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How smoked are your buddy's tires? Are they squared off at all?
Tires are in good shape and I didn't notice them being square but that doesn't mean they aren't. I know tires can make a huge difference, I've experienced that on other bikes. He's looking to trade it on an 06 999r with the same amount of miles so my window of opportunity to ride it again is closing.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
In the handling department I have to give the nod to the 848...no contest. It was almost laborious to get the 1098 to lean over. Maybe that's what it's like to lean a bike with a steering damper, I don't know. It's like the front end weighed another 20 lbs. My Harley Road Glide was easier to throw into a corner than the 1098 was. :abduct: I'm sure it something that you get used to but you could definitely tell that turn in was slower.

Suspension is hard to argue. The 848 almost has a Cadillac ride quality but it gets out of hand when pushed. This is mostly due to me being a heavy guy at 235 and the shocks being a little soft. Not a great combination for a sport oriented bike...

Overall comfort and ability to use the power goes to the 848...
Wellll, I don't want to come right out and say you're just not getting it, but ur not getting it.

Okay, so you want

aggressive engine
Agressive Styling
Aggressive chassis (you bought a bike with a seat that is 1 thick)
Agressive wheels and tires
and Agressive brakes.

Basically, you want something very exciting to own and ride and that makes women wet when you drive up.

Understood.

Does this bike exist? Yes. We have it in the 848/1098 (especially mine :) )

Oh wait, but you also want one thing that is contrary to all this agressive sporting excitment. You want cadillac/suv suspension.

Now, does this bike even exist? Nope. Anywhere? Nope. Under any make or model? No.

Well this does it for me.

I'm writing to ducati and telling them not to sell any more bikes to guys who weigh over 170lbs. Its just to difficult for you guys to ride the narrow bodied, high torque big twins. They shake you and beat you to death. Trying to cadilacasize a sporting v-twin just makes no sense. Why do you want to turn a ballerina into a sumo wrestler (cadilac-suv)? You're just going to ruin the ballet.

At the contrary, I just tightened up the front preload, again, almost a whole turn - Saaaweeeeet..., and then I was wishing I could STIFFEN UP the steering damper (the one that actually exists on my bike) two clicks because I had quick double wobble passing through 1st/2nd and then 2nd/3rd at full tilt. Ive got no turn in issues like you describe.

Further more, I'd shit on someones lawn if they told me I had to raise the handlebar up 2-3 inches like on the 848SF - and lose MORE sporting abiliy.

The opportunity here is not to turn your Ferrari into a Chevy Tahoe. The opportunity is for someone to give up potato chips and reruns of "Friends" (I dont mean the OP, but generally) and understand what it means to be/operate something lithe and aggressive, and move through the environment with command and control. I think this less understood sophistication that permeates all things Ducati is what draws many to the brand in the first place... and yes, turns girls on. Way on. If you don't see this, your not paying attention.

While I respect the OP's point of view more than this post suggests, If I hear one more new Ducatista complain that their 1098 won't give them a hand job on the way to 7-11, I'm going to SERIOUSLY FREAK OUT !!!

I may even do something extreme like go to next years East Coast Meet Up, and force everyone to go to Starbucks :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
^ Strange post. I want to take it seriously but the words prevent it. Sarcasm, especially that which is intentionally misinterpreted for the sake of drama, just doesn't travel well. Call me psychic... you own a SF1098, right?

·
Hammer Down
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wellll, I don't want to come right out and say you're just not getting it, but ur not getting it.

Oh wait, but you also want one thing that is contrary to all this agressive sporting excitment. You want cadillac/suv suspension.

Please point out to me where I said I wanted a Cadillac suspension. I was describing the ride of my bike and actually I would like some Ohlins to get a better sport ride.

Well this does it for me.

I'm writing to ducati and telling them not to sell any more bikes to guys who weigh over 170lbs. Its just to difficult for you guys to ride the narrow bodied, high torque big twins. They shake you and beat you to death. I've only owned V, L or Parallel twins and I've never been beat to death.Trying to cadilacasize a sporting v-twin just makes no sense. Why do you want to turn a ballerina into a sumo wrestler (cadilac-suv)? Again, where did I say I wanted that?You're just going to ruin the ballet.

At the contrary, I just tightened up the front preload, again, almost a whole turn - Saaaweeeeet..., and then I was wishing I could STIFFEN UP the steering damper (the one that actually exists on my bike) two clicks because I had quick double wobble passing through 1st/2nd and then 2nd/3rd at full tilt. Ive got no turn in issues like you describe. I didn't write this to be a debate, I was sharing my experience but I'm glad you don't have any turn in issues.

Further more, I'd shit on someones lawn if they told me I had to raise the handlebar up 2-3 inches like on the 848SF - and lose MORE sporting abiliy.
Yea you would have to b/c the difference in height is 20mm which is little more than 3/4 of an inch.
I seriously didn't think I was starting a debate with this thread nor did I think what I said would be misconstrued.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The original post was done quite well and its obvious the 1098 community is up in arms about it. I don't see why as what the poster has described seems to be the "word" out on the differences in the designs. Some people cannot hear the negatives on the bike they own. Seems a bit closed minded for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
who would've ever seen this coming.
ford versus chevy.
oh bummer...mitt.
such a predictable thread.
I called family in wisconsin, I've got a truckload of cheese being delivered to go along with all the whining.
ghey.

·
Registered
252 Posts
such a predictable thread.
Only one person is attempting to control our thoughts, right? The rest of the thread is entirely civil and tolerant from where I'm sitting.

Look guys, if you disagree with someone, resist the urge to suggest that the other person doesn't "get it." It's horribly condescending, and it's quite possible that what the other person is trying to "get" is something different. Nothing wrong with that.

This thought control BS... forcing the entire community to think as you do... it's gotta go.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Some people cannot hear the negatives on the bike they own.
True, and on top of that these negatives are subjective. What's good for one person might not be good for another, but neither opinion is the de facto standard. So who cares what someone else thinks? If you like something, you like it. Period. It's a lack of confidence that allows someone to be affected by another person's opinion.

It's important to me that this forum allows honesty and diversity without pressure to conform.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
^ Strange post. I want to take it seriously but the words prevent it. Sarcasm, especially that which is intentionally misinterpreted for the sake of drama, just doesn't travel well. Call me psychic... you own a SF1098, right?
This may not have been my best post. The one you are referring to. Sorry about that :) I meant to say, that the bikes are different, and they have different purposes, "apples and oranges". So you really can't compare them. Except for fun, or interesting reading. On top of this each rider is also different, with a different purpose and goal to fulfill to make his activity fulfilling and right for him. Again, "apples and oranges". YOU may not understand this, but for me, even around town, the 1098 is a better bike/motor. Now the OP proclaims the 848 has a better motor around town.

Well, chances are good someone is going to come out of the woodwork, and put up a stink. Thats alright.

Lastly, the 1098sf and 1098sfs are very high race spec, and they Do need stiff suspension to handle the power. It takes a little bit to get your head around the motor, and you have tune the suspension before you are really happy. And of course the whole time to that point you are getting beat up a little. Or alot. But before to long you get your sea legs, and now the thrills keep increasing and the soreness is going away, until one day Wow, Bang, Pow! You get it. And are Very Very Pleased. (Or not, and you sell it :) ) But thats the deal. You put in time and understanding, and you are rewarded greatly. The other guy isn't

I hate to see people say anything bad about the 1098 until they have had a chance to adjust it to themselves. Could you tell?

P.S. I should mention I don't mind fighting amonst friends or acquaintances even. So, I do apologise for mildly insulting the OP, but it will probably happen again before to long... so err, I'm sorry about that too. :)

·
Hammer Down
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This may not have been my best post. The one you are referring to. Sorry about that :) I meant to say, that the bikes are different, (Surprisingly different)and they have different purposes, "apples and oranges". So you really can't compare them. Except for fun, or interesting reading. On top of this each rider is also different, with a different purpose and goal to fulfill to make his activity fulfilling and right for him. Again, "apples and oranges". YOU may not understand this, but for me, even around town, the 1098 is a better bike/motor. Now the OP proclaims the 848 has a better motor around town. I never made that claim. I actually was surprised that it wasn't more difficult to control b/c so many talk about that being an issue. It is hard to make use of the power given all the complications of in town riding.

Well, chances are good someone is going to come out of the woodwork, and put up a stink. Thats alright.

Lastly, the 1098sf and 1098sfs are very high race spec, and they Do need stiff suspension to handle the power. I don't disagree that they need stiff suspension. Neither of them are setup for my weight but they are both loosly suspended and given that the 1098 base and the 848 have a different brand of shocks, there really wasn't much difference. It takes a little bit to get your head around the motor, and you have tune the suspension before you are really happy. And of course the whole time to that point you are getting beat up a little. Or alot. But before to long you get your sea legs, and now the thrills keep increasing and the soreness is going away, until one day Wow, Bang, Pow! You get it. And are Very Very Pleased. (Or not, and you sell it :) ) But thats the deal. You put in time and understanding, and you are rewarded greatly. The other guy isn't

I hate to see people say anything bad about the 1098 until they have had a chance to adjust it to themselves. Could you tell?

P.S. I should mention I don't mind fighting amonst friends or acquaintances even. So, I do apologise for mildly insulting the OP, but it will probably happen again before to long... so err, I'm sorry about that too. :)The only thing truly insulting about your post is telling me I don't get it when you mistate what I said. That tells me you don't get it because you weren't paying attention when you read my post.
There's nothing wrong with a differing of opinion, it's what makes us unique. If you are going to offer counterpoint make sure you have your facts straight because it devalues your comments when you don't.

·
Registered
269 Posts
From owning my SFS, I think part of the issue of whether or not people like the sf1098 at first go is due to the suspension being set up correctly for their weight. I'd read review after review talking about how heavy the bike was to turn in from people taking test ride so I was expecting it... but when I got my sfs the dealer fully set up the settings for me and I never got that sense of heaviness that others complained about.

So my .02 is that the sf1098 is a bike that is very finicky when it comes to set up and that might be the reason the bike might feel excessively heavy during street test rides. Also, as speeds pick up e.g. track days, it rewards you with a very easy turn in and very stable in turns... in truth, the SFS loves the track way more than the street. If anything I would classify it as a track/street bike vs a street/track bike. The sf848 might be the opposite, street first and track second.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts