Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are non-Japanese plates like Bernett’s okay? What about the $60 plate kits on AliExpress?

Has anyone used these? OEM plates are $400 here in Japan.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I dunno what’s on Ali express as I don’t shop there. Use one of the forum sponsors and you won’t go wrong.

Yes, aftermarket plates are fine. Barnett has been around for eons and I’ve used their clutches for over 20 years. Can’t go wrong there.

Just remember the old adage. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've use Barnett's as well. In my experience, OEM lasted longer, so I tend to stick with them. This being said, I do prefer Barnett's baskets.
$60 for a clutch pack... cheap enough to experiment with, just try a set to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
I upgraded from the OEM slipper in my '02 R to an NGR slipper years ago...

I have no idea whom they source their clutch plates from, but I've had zero issues in the 8 years since this was installed.

·
Registered
7,021 Posts
I use Barnett. No problems and the alloy plates are easier on the clutch basket. There is also a Japanese bike clutch plate that fits and I’ve heard works well. Too bad I can’t remember which. Do a Search, I probably saw it here.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I use plates from a 1984 gs1000 WET CLUTCH shaft drive. Can be bought individually and have never had to replace Ducati steels. And are a whole lot cheaper. You read that correctly. Suzuki clutch plates.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use plates from a 1984 gs1000 WET CLUTCH shaft drive. Can be bought individually and have never had to replace Ducati steels. And are a whole lot cheaper. You read that correctly.
Damn. This is my first time changing my clutch plates. Is it gonna be More difficult fitting something that wasn’t made for it if it’s my first time and I’m figuring things out?
This sounds great.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
If I wrapped the Suzuki plates in a Ducati bag you wouldn’t know the difference. As I said, frictions only.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ferodo plates off ebay is another option. I just picked up a set of frictions for $100.
Italian made.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I wrapped the Suzuki plates in a Ducati bag you wouldn’t know the difference. As I said, frictions only.
Man, I can’t find any info about the 1984 version of that bike, are you sure it wasn’t 1980-82?

I found these links where I could get them ASAP. I got invited to go to a cross country trip next weekend so I gotta fix this stuff ASAP. Sorry for the Japanese, but do you think any of these will work?

(3335) KIWAMI クラッチディスク9枚セット FOR スズキ S-GS1000 GT/GX/GLT/GLX/SZ (80-82)用

KIWAMI クラッチディスク FOR スズキ S-GS1000 ('80-82)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Ducati dry clutch plates can be replaced with Suzuki GS650 (1981-83) friction plates
I don't know that this works, only that it is documented here on dot MS.

The shaft driven GS1000 plates are documented to work on this thread. I'd wager that the old air/oil cooled GSXR frictions would work as well but that's a guess.

Suzuki didn't change a whole lot of stuff back then from model to model though. In fact, the drive line sprockets from my 1983 will fit on my 1992 and my 2004.

I have old plates from my 1992 somewhere....I'll compare them to ones removed from my 996 once I find them.

Beat to snot 996 plate above, OEM GSXR plate below. Clearly not a match. Tabs align correctly but the GSXR plate is larger in diameter.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Found part number for gs650 listed above and doesn't seem like a match? If the photo is correct,

I didn't found a gs1000 84 on bikebandit, maybe they were not imported in America?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts