Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post my experience with the ST4S I had delivered to me a few weeks back.
This is NOT a rant or bitch session...Just some thoughts on buying used and what you may want to consider to add to the price that yiou pay..
I purchased my ST4 for 6500.00 ...It had 2868 miles on it and I purchased it from the original owner...
So far so good!!
As delivered it surpassed all my expectations..
Unfortunately...I have a 900SS and I know what I want on my Ducs!!!
So I posted to DESMO and asked some questions....
I receivced some very good guidance.
I have ordered the replacement hoses for engine cooling from LT at Desmo Times...
I ordered several billett accessories...so far I am up to about 550.00
Shipping was 600.00(and worth EVERY DIME from Keyboard Shippers)
exhaust is 400.00 for the LeoVince CF slipons...
Tax / Plate was 400.00
Tires were 240.00
Tire install was 40.00
Other parts I wish to install:
Kukri pressure plate: 229.00
New cover(vented) 100.00
Chain Guard... 75.00
Shorai Battery 170.00
As you cann see...
Things add up quickly...
I thought a break down of the costs would assist those that are looking for a used bike...I would recomend a purchase of a newer bike with mods...unless you know what you are looking at as far as cost of the extras you want to add...and the cost of the things you will NEED!!!
And yes...I am having a geat time!!
Man up...it IS a DUCATI!!!
Mike S

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Mike -

Looks right to me. It'll only get worse, as you know. :rolleyes:

But among the other mods, I hope you're considering a case saver: Desmo Times Product 70 - Desmo Times Case Saver Insert

Cox Racing sells one too, but LT has two types available and the correct one for the ST series is the 'hump' kind, as he explains in his Note 6: "The ST4 and ST4S models take the "hump" variant, regardless of whether the engine casing has a hump or not."

Each year, a couple of guys on the Ducati.ms site have their cases lunched by a wayward chain, so it is a small price for good insurance. One of the first things I bought, both for the ST and for the 999.

Ron

·
Registered
35 Posts
New or used you'll spend the $$$. At least used you can show a list of items purchased with your money, new you'll loose a bunch in tax alone

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I thought I would post my experience with the ST4S I had delivered to me a few weeks back.
This is NOT a rant or bitch session...Just some thoughts on buying used and what you may want to consider to add to the price that yiou pay..
I purchased my ST4 for 6500.00 ...It had 2868 miles on it and I purchased it from the original owner...
So far so good!!
As delivered it surpassed all my expectations..
Unfortunately...I have a 900SS and I know what I want on my Ducs!!!
So I posted to DESMO and asked some questions....
I receivced some very good guidance.
I have ordered the replacement hoses for engine cooling from LT at Desmo Times...
I ordered several billett accessories...so far I am up to about 550.00
Shipping was 600.00(and worth EVERY DIME from Keyboard Shippers)
exhaust is 400.00 for the LeoVince CF slipons...
Tax / Plate was 400.00
Tires were 240.00
Tire install was 40.00
Other parts I wish to install:
Kukri pressure plate: 229.00
New cover(vented) 100.00
Chain Guard... 75.00
Shorai Battery 170.00
As you cann see...
Things add up quickly...
I thought a break down of the costs would assist those that are looking for a used bike...I would recomend a purchase of a newer bike with mods...unless you know what you are looking at as far as cost of the extras you want to add...and the cost of the things you will NEED!!!
And yes...I am having a geat time!!
Man up...it IS a DUCATI!!!
Mike S
Mike, you have a long way to go yet, the list is endless with what you can do eg, titanium engine mount bolts, rear axle adjusters, carbon fibre everything, headlight upgrades, footrests, handlebars, seats etc etc

You know it's a disease :rolleyes:

Craig

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ST4S thoughts

WOW!!!
I am so glad you guys replied...I thought I was a bit over the top....
Helll...compared to youse guys I am a pale imitation of a Ducatisti!!!
Now when my beautiful wife tells me I spent too much on the bike I can show her these posts and explain it as a disease!!!
Hello...My name is Mike and I am addicted to Ducati...My daughters name is Testa ....My sons name is Desmo...and I have naked pics of my bike on the wall of my shop....."SOB!!!"
All : " Hello Mike "
You guys RULE!!!:D
And you are right....I miffed on the case saver...I will order that when I order the Clutch COver..!!:)
Here we go!!!
Mike S

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, it can add up quickly. I had to add a couple of farkles (including the case saver) when I got the bike, but it was already pretty well kitted out with the expensive stuff. Dang, but they are a nice ride.

Sorry for the spam, but this seems like too good of an opportunity to advertise that my ST4s is for sale, for (what I think is) a reasonable price. You can find it in the classifieds here.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Mine came well kitted on the ergo side, but the motor was stock. That took a very short time to dig into. I could still drop a few k in a heartbeat if I had the resources. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Do you have an ST4 or an ST4s? Your initial post mentions both. What year is it? If it is an ST4s, there were quite a few changes throughout the model's lifespan.

To avoid questions like mine every time you start a thread, add the model and model year of your new ST to your signature line or public profile.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thoughts on the ST4s

The bike is a 2003 ST4S w/ABS...Senna colore...It is a very sweet ride..
Suspension work to be done in the Fall...
Basically set up for my weight....and fork fluid change out...
I also agree with you about having the suspension set up properly for the riders weight...
I did that with my 1996 900SSCR (which is LOADED and for sale)...It was the best change I could have made...
But the ST4S I have is pretty close...which is why I plan to ride it instead of letting it sit idle in the shop...
I gotta go soon...Work is calling!!
Mike

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Do you have an ST4 or an ST4s? Your initial post mentions both. What year is it? If it is an ST4s, there were quite a few changes throughout the model's lifespan.

To avoid questions like mine every time you start a thread, add the model and model year of your new ST to your signature line or public profile.
Bill , you missed it i his signature line , ST3 - Sold ....
2003 ST4s/ABS - Yes !

I though the administartors were going to alter the registration process so it was a cumpulsory entry and posting display ?

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Bill , you missed it i his signature line , ST3 - Sold ....
2003 ST4s/ABS - Yes !

I thought the administartors were going to alter the registration process so it was a cumpulsory entry and posting display ?
He changed it after my "friendly" reminder. Last night it still read "looking for ST4 or ST4s."

Recommendations for all MY ST4s-es:
42T or 43T rear sprocket.
Adaptor to plug a Battery Tender into the power outlet.
Heavier rear spring (which he will address during his planned suspension upgrade).
Stealth black reflective tape for the back of the panniers

Usual recommendations for the MY 03 ST4s:
Ducati Designs headlights if you ride after dark.
MY 04 or later OEM or DP touring seat.

I'll probably think of more later, but those are the major ones. Except for the OEM 38T rear sprocket and the horrible headlight and seat on the MY 02 & 03 bikes, the ST4s is pretty much good to go out of the box.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Sorry Bill didnt see the change - Oops :eek:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Sure are great bikes and you picked the best color!! I think the case saver is next on my list. The existing list is long...very long

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts