Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually considering a Buell XB12S to replace my 800 SS. There are a lot of things I like about the bike, but a few I'm unsure of... I'm looking for some input. Thoughts?

Likes- V-twin, belt drive, no $800 service every 6K, good ergos for my 5'9 frame, good parts network, looks unlike anything on the road.

Dislikes- HD engine architecture, really short wheelbase, exhaust note?

My local HD dealer has a left-over 04 they're selling for $7,999.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The XB series is a great bike. Low maintance very good street mannors but don't expect it to rev like your 800. I kept hitting the limiter on the XB9 I rode. The engine is a avil and will hold up a very long time. The 12 is a wheelie monster. I like it in the black.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
you might also find the gearbox on the XB a bit notchy and clunky....apparently it does get better with time....but I was annoyed by the XB I rode with the fact that it was hard to get into nuetral and the gearbox just wasn't nearly as smooth as it should have been IMHO.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
On that gearbox note, this year Buell introduced a new gearbox that is much lighter and smoother than the older ones. Still a bit notchy but better.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Buells are a blast to ride. I have a friend that rides a lightening and every time we trade bikes I laugh out loud while riding. The bike is a wheelie machine.
I have however seen this Buell vibrate parts off on long fast rides. Literally all of the bolts vibrated out of the seat, on that same ride the ignition switch vibed apart. When I saw that I just laughed out loud.
I would like to have a Buell but only if I could have several bikes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Crazy fun bike (a friend has one), but it'll be less comfortable for long rides then your 800, though not by much.
You won't save on service as you'll be replacing the rear tire every 6K.
And as previously mentioned wheelies for sure and cost of tickets for such actions...(you won't be able to control the urge).
But then there's the "crazy fun" part...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. The local HD dealer made this a no-brainer. They're selling the bike for $7,999 plus ~ $1,500 in fees! I didn't get a break down, but there are fees for set-up, PDI, $700 freight, Doc, etc... give me a break.
When I bought my Duc I paid sales tax, $330 freight and plates. Neat bike, but I left the dealer with a lot of bad mojo.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Yeah I guess those HDs' are hard to set up. A guy in my office was proud that he bought a HD for msrp, then he let it out that he spend $2000 is misc fees and crap.
Too bad about your deal going south.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A friend of mine has a 'sleeper' old YZF 1000. He currently claims 3 Buells! He puts little stickers on his fairing like the old fighter aces.. He has goaded them into cracking the throttle open suddenly to try and race him. so far 3 have been left behind with broken drive belts. It seems they are not so good for instant torque. I have no further details.

Mal

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We all expect different things from the bikes we buy. Bear in mind that resale on Buells is in the crapper. As to the add on fees, BS. If he wants to sell it, offer him $7500 out the door and you'll have your Milwaukee paint shaker. The floor plan is eating him alive!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Monster S2R1000

·
Registered
41 Posts
The belt snapping issue shouldn't be a problem with the newer XB's, the auto-belt tensioner works like it should. The problem with belt drives has always been that a belt needs to be very tight and it is when they are loose and suddenly torqued (like when they tried to race) that they snap. With the belt tensioner the belt should always be tight and this shouldn't be a problem.

I agree, the whole set-up charge is a load of BS especially on a bike they have been sitting on for 2 years. One way you might be able to leverage them is to get a quote from another dealer of, say a 500 dollar setup charge, and tell the dealer point blank you are going to buy from them instead.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
DesmoNoob said:
Thanks guys. The local HD dealer made this a no-brainer. They're selling the bike for $7,999 plus ~ $1,500 in fees! I didn't get a break down, but there are fees for set-up, PDI, $700 freight, Doc, etc... give me a break.
When I bought my Duc I paid sales tax, $330 freight and plates. Neat bike, but I left the dealer with a lot of bad mojo.
That kind of crap pisses me off because EVERYONE knows that those charges are profit centers for a dealership, not true expenses. E.g., setup is done by some $12 an hour apprentice; delivery charges are inflated to include dealer profit.

Your leaving with bad mojo is warranted. I too would walk out for a dealer trying to pull that crap on me. The mere attempt is a sign of disrespect. :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts