Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well being a inline 4 guy since i started on the street and growing up on 2 smokes i have always sworn off torque vs HP

well as of right now, still in the break in period (which consists of me riding it like i would normally with exception to some on and off throttle in 2nd to help the rings wear into the cylinder walls better) I am in love.

I have always been the guy that said i wasn't a twin fan but i am hooked and have since decided that i might track the R1 and forget that it knows the back roads as well as i do

acceleration is better than the R1 in terms of the pull factor its right there when you need it and after experiencing my first track experience on wednesday have to admit that the R1 was not meant for the roads and its fun when you can red line it but cruising sucks

i am still having trouble getting used to the distinct noises that the hyper makes. its much more primitive than the inlines i own but it evokes a smile every time i hit the starter.

it makes so much friggin noise, the rattles, and the sputtering at first I thought i already broke it but then you open the gas and it smooths right out and pulls.

oh and the DP comfort seat is awesome. i have read some people have some issues with it but for me 6'2" 200lbs the position is perfect and the seat has the right amount of cushion and support

And it looks amazing.

I have never owned a bike so unique that everyone asks "what is it?" "Is it really an 1100?" "why did you put street tires on a dirt bike?"

To me this is the most unique stock motorcycle out there and its a good feeling to go to bike night and have the ONLY hyper out of 300-500 bikes and everyone asks all kinds of questions.

just my initial thoughts. I am going to snap some pics right now of the toys ill post up in a bit.

Keith

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my thoughts:

Why the hell haven't you ridden it more than 200 miles?!?! ;)
I have a torn labrum in my hip and a pinched nerve in my back from a car accident last august and have surgery coming up july 31st and with the weather being kinda crappy its hard to get out for long rides knowing that if the pain gets real bad i have to double back just to make it home

that and i did a TD the 3rd beat the shit out of me trying to force the R1 into submission around NHIS...

I have only had this thing for 8 days.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I have a torn labrum in my hip and a pinched nerve in my back from a car accident last august and have surgery coming up july 31st and with the weather being kinda crappy its hard to get out for long rides knowing that if the pain gets real bad i have to double back just to make it home

that and i did a TD the 3rd beat the shit out of me trying to force the R1 into submission around NHIS...

I have only had this thing for 8 days.
NO EXCUSES!!!!! :yeah:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha i wish they were excuses.

life would be alot easier thats for sure

so heres some pictures of the bike

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did a TD the 3rd beat the shit out of me trying to force the R1 into submission around NHIS...
this is the important part here

no excuses really the injury is why i bought the hyper. i have put about 1k miles on both my wifes 600 and my r1 since last august averaging about 200 miles a month

then figure i rode the hyper everyday since i bought it with exception to monday and tuesday.

i even used it as my pit bike on wednesday

200 miles in 6 days for me is pretty damn good right now

and i plan to put about 100 - 150 on it tomorrow

·
Registered
125 Posts
How are the walls at NHIS these days? I raced a couple years there back when I was a lot younger. Even then, after working some corners and seeing people going headlong into concrete, I realized NHIS wasn't the safest place. These days I wouldn't be caught dead on that track unless they've changed some things. Granted, this was about 15 years ago!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
600 miles impressions

so today was my first +100 mile ride since i got into my car accident last year and i have not been able to accomplish so much as 100 miles with the R1 but with the hyper aside from general soreness i could have gone much further.

The power is by far the best and most surprising part about this bike to me. the numbers dont really equate to smiles per mile but once you twist the throttle and you have the pull that i can get on the R1

every road that i rode the R1 on i find my overall speeds are actually faster. my corner entry and exit speeds are alot higher than on the R1 and even the pace that i keep is a bit higher.

Comfort wise as i said its great. a few small issue with soreness but its more my tolerance for riding is less than it used to be but i now have the ability to ride long distances again and even with my wife on the back the bike is great and she loves the pace i keep

I just cant say enough good things about this bike. Its the whole package IMHO and sure there are some down sides but for every little thing i could nit pick at there are at least 2 things i can say that out weight it.

the only thing that really is bothering me was something i have noticed with the gearbox that was summed up in another thread about the shifter sticking. I havent had that happen but it will occasionally "get stuck" either in nuetral or gear and it takes some playing with the clutch and slight amounts of throttle to get it to catch. I noticed this same thing on my R1 but it alot less frequent and didnt think anything of it til i read the thread about the sticking shifter. but until it actually happens to me i am not really worried about it.

Overall this bike is the best bike i have ever had the chance to put some real miles on and as long as everything goes well in the upcoming weeks look forward to putting many more on it before the season is over.

Keith

How are the walls at NHIS these days? I raced a couple years there back when I was a lot younger. Even then, after working some corners and seeing people going headlong into concrete, I realized NHIS wasn't the safest place. These days I wouldn't be caught dead on that track unless they've changed some things. Granted, this was about 15 years ago!
as for safety its the number 1 concern due to the past injuries. I dont know what the layout was when you rode there but i have seen it has changed quite a bit in the past few years and they just re-did turns 1-2 all new pavement with a sharper entry into turn one to help reduce front straight speeds

also because of the new ownership there is alot of talk (rumors) on a new and improved road course or possibly a separate road course as 70% of the use that NHMS gets is the road racing, yet 60% of its revenue is from the nascar crowd, but from what i have read they are researching the feasability of a world class road racing track to try and bring back some of the old crowd that the track used to draw.

again mostly just talk on local forums and a few teaser articles but if all goes well construction could be underway withing the next 5 years

·
Registered
186 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I agree it's the most fun bike I've ever ridden.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
:DMight wanna buy a cover for the blue THINGY. I find that when I ache I jump on the bike and I don't think about the pain until I get off of it. Great therapy. At my advanced age there is rarely a day with no pain . When somebody starts to whine and wimper about their ailements I put up my little finger and say see that finger thats what doesn't hurt ..Hope and wish you a full speedy recovery... Keep up on the Therapy.Good luck with the Hyper.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you like the power now then try this:

Termi Full system
TPO Beaast R Intake

Just these 2 will transform the bikes power. Also, please remove the fork reflectors stat

Congrats

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
Get the charcoal cannister to fall off too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts