Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Thought some on the Sport Classic forum, as fellow Ducati owners and fans of classic looking motorcycles, might find the bike I recently bought my wife (a new rider after years of riding passenger, yeah!) interesting.
It is a 1989 Honda GB500 Tourist Trophy, I am sure most of you can see the inspirations from Vincent to BSA to Triumph. Stateside they are rare, in Japan, Britain, Australia, and New Zealand you are all well used to seeing this one.
Anyways, as soon as she is comfortable riding I am sure she will join the Ducatisti with her second bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
yes, great choice - lovely styling!
i remember when these arrived and admired them at the time.
enjoy and safe riding!:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, great choice - lovely styling!
i remember when these arrived and admired them at the time.
enjoy and safe riding!:)
Thanks!
She loves the Sport Classics from Ducati and the Triumph Thruxton and Bonnie as well, but this one will be a better starter bike.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
very nice they retail (s/h) anywhere between $5000 to $7000 here and they are rare here too in TT500 form , the more basic looking XBR500 is more common here and not as nice

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Sweet bike - never heard of it before! I did a little research and it looks like they're something of a collectible. Probably would be a great freeway\urban commuter too. Kinda ironic that Honda would produce a retro styled bike inspired by the classic British bikes they sent down the dumper when they introduced the CB750. Should be a fun bike for your wife (and you if she lets you take it out), and if she graduates to a Duc, you should hang onto it if possible.

Any specs - hp, torque, weight, etc.? Sounds like the engine was a solid, hi-tech dirt bike model so my guess is it'd run circles around the new Enfields.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very nice they retail (s/h) anywhere between $5000 to $7000 here and they are rare here too in TT500 form , the more basic looking XBR500 is more common here and not as nice
When I search the GB on the net alot of the owners I find info from are from Australia. We only had the bike here for 89 and 90, I suppose Australia had the bike for many more years. It was a sales flop here, $4500 was a large price for a 500 in 1989.
I have only found a couple here in the states, and, oddly, when I google I find my wife's bike on some of the sites from the former owners...now that is rare!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet bike - never heard of it before! I did a little research and it looks like they're something of a collectible too. Kinda ironic that Honda would produce a retro styled bike inspired by the classic British bikes they sent down the dumper when they introduced the CB750. Should be a fun bike for your wife (and you if she lets you take it out), and if she graduates to a Duc, you should hang onto it if possible.

Any specs - hp, torque, weight, etc.? Sounds like the engine was a solid, hi-tech dirt bike model so my guess is it'd run circles around the new Enfields.
The engine is a sleeved down version of the 650 from the xr and xl dirt bikes that have been around forever (still are). I do ride it sometimes, it is fun, though my 6'1" 225 lbs looks rather odd and overpowers the shocks.
Here is a site with links to specs and original sales materials and articles:
http://lovik.tripod.com/Clubman.html

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The engine is a sleeved down version of the 650 from the xr and xl dirt bikes that have been around forever (still are). I do ride it sometimes, it is fun, though my 6'1" 225 lbs looks rather odd and overpowers the shocks.
Here is a site with links to specs and original sales materials and articles:
http://lovik.tripod.com/Clubman.html
st2- glad you do get a little time on it, and thanks for the additional info. If I could ever get my wife interested in motorcycling I'd love to snag one as well!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Checked out st2brooke's link re specs, etc. and after doing some German - English translation and conversions, looks like the bike cranks out about 34 hp and 28 ft. lbs. torque at the crank. At 354 lbs. the power\weight ratio confirms it would definitely humiliate an Enfield:cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Love the GBs. Very rare here in the States. It's one of very few bikes from the Eighties that I like. Very classic, very cool.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked out st2brooke's link re specs, etc. and after doing some German - English translation and conversions, looks like the bike cranks out about 34 hp and 28 ft. lbs. torque at the crank. At 354 lbs. the power\weight ratio confirms it would definitely humiliate an Enfield:cool:
LOL! Especially this one, it has better heads, dual carbs instead of the single, and of course the mentioned Supertrapp full stainless...which, apparently, they don't make anymore. Too bad, as this one has a lowside scrape.
The wife has already named it "thumper" and changed her own oil...I am so proud of her. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love the GBs. Very rare here in the States. It's one of very few bikes from the Eighties that I like. Very classic, very cool.
Ah yes, the eighties was a hard time for bike styling.
Although, I remember drooling over the 1985 Suzuki GSXR 750 when it came out around the time I was a senior in high school. I remember thinking how psycho powerful and fast it was, and how it looked like it was straight off of the track.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lucky lady!! The GB was my first real bike I ever owned. (I had a '69 cb175 before that but it was more like a scooter. I just putted around town on it) Unfortunately, I ran a red light in Chico about a year after I got the GB and it was totaled. Every once and a while I do a little search for one but now that I own my PS1k I don't think I could go back. It would be a great bike for my wife though. I still have the Motorcyclist article on the GB that got me all interested in the bike somewhere in my files. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you if I can find it. I remember I wanted to make mine just like it with a Muzzy pipe and some other cool engine mods.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lucky lady!! The GB was my first real bike I ever owned. (I had a '69 cb175 before that but it was more like a scooter. I just putted around town on it) Unfortunately, I ran a red light in Chico about a year after I got the GB and it was totaled. Every once and a while I do a little search for one but now that I own my PS1k I don't think I could go back. It would be a great bike for my wife though. I still have the Motorcyclist article on the GB that got me all interested in the bike somewhere in my files. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you if I can find it. I remember I wanted to make mine just like it with a Muzzy pipe and some other cool engine mods.
I think I saw that one! The one where they hop it up and there is a pic of the GB in a full wheelie. I will PM you with my email address, perhaps I could pass it along to you when my wife is ready to move on.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The GB TT is an old favorite of mine as well. If I ever stumble across one that's for sale, I may just have to spring for it.

As good as they look in pictures I'm thinking they look even better in person, but I've only come across 2 while out in the real world. The thing that first impresses you about them is how compact they are.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
super cool bike. I like the norton theme.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny coincidence:
I just got my July issue of Rider Magazine I turn to the first page of copy this morning (during my morning reading time if you catch my drift), its editor Mark Tuttle's column. It is all about him having fond memories of the GB500 recently and starting to search for one. He only finds a couple on all of the sites he checks, all for sale at a high price. Then he finds one on Craigslist in San Francisco. He has a friend check it out, buys it, and is now restoring it.
Weird reading that the morning after I post ours on here. Hell, I cant remember the last time I heard mention of the bike before buying this one. And here an entire column. Maybe Peter Egan will get a bug for one next and I can have him over and finally have that long chat with him I always felt I was having as I read his columns.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is a beautiful bike! I didn't even know it existed. I always like to find new machines that are awesome and I had not seen before. Honda should have made their 599 Hornet look more like this bike. It would be an instant hit you would think.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts