Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big fan of loud bikes and cars as long as they are a sophisticated or exotic sound and not just offensive crap sounding.

And the Ducati 1100 motor we have with the Termis is towards the top of my favorite overall sound tracks. Sometimes I go out for a ride just to hear the thing. That said, I have to admit after a 30 min ride I often come back with a headache. Maybe its an issue with my helmet, maybe its because the city streets with buildings on both sides amplify the thunder, maybe because I'm getting old... But whatever it is, I'd like to dial the sound back about 20-30% if possible.

I think the baffles are out, but I'm not sure because I didn't install the exhaust. 1) Is there an easy way to check? 2) Those who have had them in and out, what are we talking in sound reduction?

I'll probably need to order a new set and will cost a pretty penny (everything does it seems - $500 for passenger pegs???) so would like to know the sound difference being buying the baffles. To confirm I have the Full System 2-1 with ECU, cams, etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've heard from several members that many dealerships have a bunch of extra baffles laying around that they'll probably just give you. They are usually takeoffs from other bikes that had the system installed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
if the baffle is inside the exhaust pipe, there will be a round metal bar inside but towards the end of the exhaust canister. there is a set screw on the bottom of the exhaust outlet that holds the baffle in place.

with the baffle inside the sound is good but be warned, once you take it out, no matter how much it hurts your ears, you can't go back!!! the sound is to good.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
if the baffle is inside the exhaust pipe, there will be a round metal bar inside but towards the end of the exhaust canister. there is a set screw on the bottom of the exhaust outlet that holds the baffle in place.

with the baffle inside the sound is good but be warned, once you take it out, no matter how much it hurts your ears, you can't go back!!! the sound is to good.
+1 If the baffle is installed, there will be a vertical bar visible in the outlet + a set screw on the bottom. If you think the bike is a little loud, my guess is you are not running the baffle. With the baffle in, the bike sounds VERY tame. I was looking into modifying the baffle to flow better while cutting a few Db's but haven't gotten around to it. Here's what it(and my dog) looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Big fan of loud bikes and cars as long as they are a sophisticated or exotic sound and not just offensive crap sounding.

And the Ducati 1100 motor we have with the Termis is towards the top of my favorite overall sound tracks. Sometimes I go out for a ride just to hear the thing. That said, I have to admit after a 30 min ride I often come back with a headache. Maybe its an issue with my helmet, maybe its because the city streets with buildings on both sides amplify the thunder, maybe because I'm getting old... But whatever it is, I'd like to dial the sound back about 20-30% if possible.

I think the baffles are out, but I'm not sure because I didn't install the exhaust. 1) Is there an easy way to check? 2) Those who have had them in and out, what are we talking in sound reduction?

I'll probably need to order a new set and will cost a pretty penny (everything does it seems - $500 for passenger pegs???) so would like to know the sound difference being buying the baffles. To confirm I have the Full System 2-1 with ECU, cams, etc.
20-30%..Ear plugs my friend.Never leave home wifout em.Good at high speed to as they cut the wind whistle out to.But it is a personal choice..Sum ears jus don't like em.Give it a try for a dollar??

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ditto to Bigmacduc - Just go for the earplugs..
Especially helpful when running an open airbox, deadens the the induction thump

·
Registered
331 Posts
I recently started wearing earplugs, and I have to say I'm torn. I love that I don't have ringing in my ears when I get where I'm going, but I use the sound of the engine to gauge how much throttle vs. clutch to use, and the earplugs make me feel like I'm learning how to ride all over again. Although I suppose it's probably helping me learn the bike in a new way, which can never hurt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 If the baffle is installed, there will be a vertical bar visible in the outlet + a set screw on the bottom. If you think the bike is a little loud, my guess is you are not running the baffle. With the baffle in, the bike sounds VERY tame. I was looking into modifying the baffle to flow better while cutting a few Db's but haven't gotten around to it. Here's what it(and my dog) looks like.
And as an FYI the bar is something to hook on to when you're pulling out the silencer. I run mine without and I actually think it sounds pretty quiet but then one of my other bikes (RC51) has Sato's on it which I think are just right.
One other point... if you decide to run the silencer be aware that extra exhaust heat is directed outward from the inboard end of the silencer and if you have the CF Termi it definitely gets past the T sub G (softening point) of the CF shell right where the inboard end of the silencer is. I didn't realize that until I pulled the silencer out after running it a while. :mad:

Goin' fer 25

·
Registered
198 Posts
Get a better helmet or use plugs. The Termi is actually pretty quiet. I'm not sure where I read about this but I think I remember someone mentioning using the baffle can cause the muffler to fail because of heat and back pressure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think the Termi is that loud, I could be sorta deaf though from years of driving race cars, riding loud bikes and shooting guns.

Personaly I think a loud bike is important for safety. I am always having close calls because people can't hear my relativly quiet RS250 and change lanes into me and cut me off. Not on my Hyper.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can someone post a pic looking into the exhaust canister with and without the baffle? I'm curious and have the same system.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Can someone post a pic looking into the exhaust canister with and without the baffle? I'm curious and have the same system.

Thanks!
Without the baffle, it's just a straight pipe with perforated walls.With the baffle, it will look like the picture I posted above.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I have always tried to take care of my ears as I fear they are especially sensitive.... they ring all the time. wear ear plugs... that highpitched whistle is very damaging. I do short stints w/o plugs when at low speed (very twisty) roads. anything above 40-50mph i wear plugs. having said that... the 2-1 on the hyper is not a loud exhaust comparatively.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice and pics of the baffles.

I'm guessing I do not have the baffles because I never noticed the bar and the bike is loud as hell. I'm sort of surprised that a few of you guys say the 2-1 is not a loud system comparatively. Compared to the stock HMs I've heard they are in two entirely different ball games. Also had an S2R800 with the full termis before and this bike is almost twice as loud as that one - and the noises it makes on aggressive downshifts are incredible. Maybe it is the city that amplifies it because it sounds nothing less than ridiculous.

Maybe will try to ear plug route.

·
Registered
399 Posts
ear plugs ear plugs ear plugs

or go deaf...wind noise at 80mph is over 90 db no matter how quiet your helmet..which means permanent hearing damage...very few bikers don't wear plugs in uk.. :)

you can still hear the engine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts