Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUT...i read oil opinions and people name several preferred brands..mobil1, amsoil, rotella, motul, etc.....
are these motorcycle specific oil? or is it just generic car oil? i feel stupid asking, but with a dry clutch, the oil is only there for motor lubrication, the same as a car

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Some would say the the shear force of the transmission gears is why motorcycle specific oil is needed, it contains additives that are designed for this addition wear. some say if you change it every 1,000 miles who cares? check out this thread.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=74198&highlight=oil
Its your choice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oil Thread!

I love the oil threads.

Use an MC specific or full synthetic. There is a difference between M/C specific synthetic and just synthetic, but not much.

Oil I use Amsoil but also grab other Synthetics when I need to. The only reason I don't use Dino oil is the ash content.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
BUT...i read oil opinions and people name several preferred brands..mobil1, amsoil, rotella, motul, etc.....
are these motorcycle specific oil? or is it just generic car oil? i feel stupid asking, but with a dry clutch, the oil is only there for motor lubrication, the same as a car
Not a stupid question. No, the oil also lubricates and cools the transmission in a motorcycle. It also has to protect the engine at much higher revolutions and heat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not a stupid question. No, the oil also lubricates and cools the transmission in a motorcycle. It also has to protect the engine at much higher revolutions and heat.
I think the high revs arguement is not really relevant, we are talking Ducati here. Some cars have gearboxes that use the engine oil and they have no special consideration, just change your oil at the service interval or sooner if you want, as my father said, "oil is the cheapest mechanic you can find".:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts