Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my bike up on the rear stand I bought today and was checking out the clutch and everything from the install I did a couple of weeks ago. Anyhow, I cranked her up and everything was fine. So I put her in first gear and noticed that the chain was slapping the bottom of the swingarm. That doesn't seem right to me.

Does it sound like the chain is too loose? I'm replacing the sprockets and chain when they're delivered so I need to know if this is right. There aren't any marks anywhere that I can see to check.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
First, never run your bike in gear on the rear stand. Recipie for a bad day if it slips off. The rule of thumb for chains is, "A sloppy chain is a happy chain", but yes it sounds a little loose. Set your chain slack IAW the sticker on your swingarm. A little loose is better than too tight.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing. There's no sticker to go by.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
With no weight on the bike the chain can look loose in this situation. Be careful tightening it too much, the dynamics change when you add driver weight to th equation.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
One stupid question deserves another! :eek:

While at a stop light the other day, with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in (duh!), I noticed the pressure plate was not spinning. I thought the darned thing was always moving when the motor is running! I guess I haven't looked down at it while stopped in gear before! This is normal, right? :think:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Normal, and there is no such thing as stupid questions.

On this site the guys (and girls) will help out where they can after you have done a search yourself for an answer and came up trumps. Lazy people usually get ignored

SF

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a way to check it. It's suppose to be on the side stand and 38-42 mm from the center of the swingarm. I just checked mine and it's almost 80 mm from the center of the swingarm. A bit too loose I'd assume.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Most of the time the recomended slack is 25 mm in the middle of the lower strand. If you use this measurement be sure it is at the tightest point of the chain, and the swing-arm is moved to a loaded position. What I do to load the suspension, (it sounds flakey but works ok), is to drap myself over the seat to load the swing-arm, then feel the tension. Obviously if you do this have a rear stand you have faith in. As others have said, far better too loose than tight. On the 916 variants you also have to be aware of the axle height.

·
Registered
264 Posts
(it sounds flakey but works ok), is to drap myself over the seat to load the swing-arm, then feel the tension.
LOL,
Sounds flakey? Wanna hear what I do to check chain tension?
I literally put 250# worth of carpeted weight lifting plates on my bike and jounce it to measue chain tension. All the while, bike is in a Baxley sport chock (everyone should have one)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts