Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I look at it and view the videos the more I see it has pure art.

I think it is just stunning.

I just can't understand how someone can say it is ugly, and wonder what they ride.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new 1200 Multistrada of course

The previous model looked like a scooter from the front.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I just can't understand how someone can say it is ugly, and wonder what they ride.
+1

IMHO, the best lookin' bike ever built - especially the black sport model with the CF muffler.

I almost ordered one, but the continuing cost of upkeep stopped me. Plus, I don't think I'd ever enjoy taking something like that on gravel/dirt/muddy back roads, which is what I'd be buying it for primarily. One little oopsie-incident could, and almost certainly would, do $1000's in damage since they have no crash protection at all. :(

I'll be going with a GS Adventure model instead. They start out hideous and just get more so each time you drop 'em. Also there's the added benefit in that there is a far lower likelihood of my being thrown in jail for felony speeding on the way to the back country roads! :D

·
Registered
970 Posts
Dude, you are all over the map! You ordered one, you didn't order one...? You love it, you hate it? You beat your dealer up on price and bad mouth their serv although they have never touched a bike you own I assume and now you're getting a B**.... C'ya!

+1

IMHO, the best lookin' bike ever built - especially the black sport model with the CF muffler.

I almost ordered one, but the continuing cost of upkeep stopped me. Plus, I don't think I'd ever enjoy taking something like that on gravel/dirt/muddy back roads, which is what I'd be buying it for primarily. One little oopsie-incident could, and almost certainly would, do $1000's in damage since they have no crash protection at all. :(

I'll be going with a GS Adventure model instead. They start out hideous and just get more so each time you drop 'em. Also there's the added benefit in that there is a far lower likelihood of my being thrown in jail for felony speeding on the way to the back country roads! :D

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The previous model looked like a scooter from the front.
Spoken like someone who never rode one. You can't see it when your riding it. It is no scooter I assure you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
+1

Pole smoker!!!

·
7,733 Posts

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. All you say has been said about other vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes because we all know how cheap it is to maintain a BMW, with their 6K service intervals as opposed to Ducati's 7.5K schedule. A GS Adventure is not going to be a money saver. And when you have one of those "oopsie" things happen way out there on a gravel road, good luck picking the beast up. Ugly will be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes because we all know how cheap it is to maintain a BMW, with their 6K service intervals as opposed to Ducati's 7.5K schedule. A GS Adventure is not going to be a money saver. And when you have one of those "oopsie" things happen way out there on a gravel road, good luck picking the beast up. Ugly will be the least of your worries.
Actually, the service intervals will be nearly free, since I'll be able to do nearly everything myself, including valve adjustments, and also much more quickly. Plus, the service intervals are going to be pushed out to 12,000 miles on the 2010's and there's talk of them being as long as 16,000 miles apart.

Also I'm pretty sure that both bikes would be a gut-buster to pick up, so I'm not looking forward to that at all. The Duc is an awesome and beautiful machine - it's just not the bike for me.

Best wishes,

John

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
The dry weight differences between a Multistrada and a GS Adventure model is around 65lbs. That's not a negligible amount. Then one needs to consider the height difference as the GSA is even taller than a GS due to the suspension travel. Further, the new 2010 BMW motor will offer DOHC which might affect some of the do it yourself aspect? (not sure there). Just offering up some tidbits to help you select the right bike.

I'd be a bit surprised if the 6k BMW service is more than a 7.5k one for a 1098/1198 motor.

Be well

·
Registered
299 Posts
The dry weight differences between a Multistrada and a GS Adventure model is around 65lbs. That's not a negligible amount. Then one needs to consider the height difference as the GSA is even taller than a GS due to the suspension travel. Further, the new 2010 BMW motor will offer DOHC which might affect some of the do it yourself aspect? (not sure there). Just offering up some tidbits to help you select the right bike.

I'd be a bit surprised if the 6k BMW service is more than a 7.5k one for a 1098/1198 motor.

Be well
I guess that time will tell.

I've also heard that the service intervals for the new Multis might be as high as 15,000 miles between valve checks/adjustments. That would be great too.

The DOHC on the Beemer uses shims, but they're so much more accessible and you don't have to pull the cams to change them like on some other shim-valve bikes (not the Ducs, of course).

I agree completely about the ungainly height of the GSA's. They're damn tall for sure!

Peace,

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts