Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'm taking a guess here but I would say no.

Chrome is totally worn away in some spots. Flaking rocker syndrome...maybe?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Normal?

For a desmo: yes; good: NO! Looks like a class action suit becomes more like a reality every day.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Flakey Rockers

Ouch......all are trash......replate them or buy new ones. New Ducati ones are $45 each and Megacycled ones are somewhere around $65 each for a replate. How many miles does the bike have on it? I have a set of heads from a 1998 748 with 8900 miles that are as bad as those.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Desmo_Demon said:
Ouch......all are trash......replate them or buy new ones. New Ducati ones are $45 each and Megacycled ones are somewhere around $65 each for a replate. How many miles does the bike have on it? I have a set of heads from a 1998 748 with 8900 miles that are as bad as those.

i sent them to MBP today. the bike has 17.5k miles on it, but when i did the valve adjustment 1500 miles ago only one or three were "ify"
just to do it, and because i'll be track daying a couple times a month now, i decided to pull the openers and have them MBPed, anticipating some quality flaking indicated by the last oil change.

another reason they are so bad is because i've been running the bike between 7,000 and 11,000 rpm a lot more often. and regularly between 9 and 11.

but now i fear the closers and may as well check em and redo them if their bad...but i don't want to and don't think i will.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Namor said:
another reason they are so bad is because i've been running the bike between 7,000 and 11,000 rpm a lot more often. and regularly between 9 and 11.
Out of curiosity, what clearances do you set your openers and closers to?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Desmo_Demon said:
Ouch......all are trash......replate them or buy new ones.
Check your cam lobes!!!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Desmo_Demon said:
Out of curiosity, what clearances do you set your openers and closers to?

1 of them at .05mm, 2 at .06mm and, and 3 at .08mm, and 1 at .04mm. the .04 showed less wear than the .08 vertical intake arm which is the worst. all closers where/are between .19 and .23

what's odd is i set them as close to .05mm as possible when i reshimmed, but i looked in Haynes and it reads that i should have reshimmed .16-.18mm on the intake and .21-23 on the exhaust (all openeres) but i didn't like those numbers.

it turns out that i set the clearance during adjustment to the spec of CHECKING clearance and not the ADJUSTMENT clearance. i think that may have been a problem but not so sure, i never liked the contrast between the two.

before i ordered the shims i have on now i had a dealer measure the old ones and and the clearances i had and they calculated for the shims i have now. but now i wonder if i need more clearance...if i that was the problem. do i have a problem?

cams seem fine, but i'll recheck them this weekend.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I've been hearing that too much clearance on your valve check can help speed up the process. Buckelew can probably give better insight on this. I've heard all sorts of values to set them at. One of the more popular ones has been 0.10mm on the closers and 0.15mm on the openers (.004" and .006", respectively).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts