Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t had any issues with this bike and I decided during quarantine to do an oil change. I was bout to replace the drain plug and washer and as I pushed up this pulled out...I’m panicking.

·
Official Retired Person
7,519 Posts
Is the long portion twisted? Looks like it is. Can't image what that is or where it came from.

Make, model, year, milage?

Oh, and shoe size too, plz! 🤪

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Looks like the hook off the end of a spring possibly gears. Are the gears ok ?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2015 Streetfighter 848, 4150 miles, I’ve noticed sometimes from 3rd to 4th it misshifts, but it’s always been like that. Like it’ll go into neutral for some reason. The hooked portion of that piece is bent like a spring or retainer clip. I just started and test drove and went through the gears like I normally would. There was some metal on the oil drain plug but a very small amount.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It looks like a shift return spring to me. Remove the clutch and have a look.

t_bare
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 3.54.50 PM.png

·
Official Retired Person
7,519 Posts
Ohhhhhh, part # 20 looks like it could be the culprit.

Reactions: blackie

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It may be a good time to upgrade to the Factor Pro shift kit.

t_bare

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi All,

I found a service manual for an 848 (not a SF848). I believe it's part number 19, I don't know how crucial the piece is, or if there are more parts floating around in there, but the way I made the orientation in the photo below makes me think that's the piece. Can anyone confirm if this is detrimental or if this piece would be floating around and going into the gears of the transmission?

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you may be correct, I'm looking at the orientation and where it's broken clean off and I'm a bit worried.

It looks like a shift return spring to me. Remove the clutch and have a look.

t_bare

Sure that's an external clip

Ha! I'm just panicking trying to be optimistic, but how would an external clip get into the oil pan?! I know, I know, just worrying and that was a silly though. :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
That's what I mean. I dont think its that part
It deffo shouldnt be in there and if it is it sure looks like a box part. Pretty sure there non of those inside the engine

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
May need to take the cover off the gearbox to have a look sooner rather than later

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts