Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just performed my first desmo service on my ST4s. New belts, checked the valves, new air filter, oil change, new valve cover gaskets. Get it all put back together and it runs like garbage. The engine races and won't come down below 5 or 6k rpms.

I'm feeling defeated to say the least. After a sleepless night and much pondering, I finally decided last night after work to start taking part the intake to see if I messed something up on the throttle body. As soon as I removed the air filter, this is what greeted me.

Doh!!!! My best intentions of preventing any debris from falling in my intake while I was working kinda backfired :laugh:

Anyway, don't forget to check the simple things! Thankfully it didn't suck any of the rags into the motor!

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Yea you got lucky it didn't get inhaled. Running better now?

Reactions: Stick

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Wow!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Had it happen to me while doing a service on my off road race bike. Sucked a rag clean into the carb needle.
Thanks for sharing (it takes balls to laugh at one's self)!

·
Registered
234 Posts
On my 900SSie with an open carbon clutch cover I once had it running while removing some dirt with a microfibre rag too close to the clutch. The rag caught the spinning clutch and was hurled around it destroying the carbon cover. I immediately shut down the engine with one word inside my head: “IDIOT”.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
After a, ahem, bad experience I now plug the oil passages in the heads with bits of blue shop towels when doing valve work. Last time around I had everything back together when I suddenly realized I couldn't remember taking out all the plugs... off came the fairings, re-drained and removed the fuel tank, removed valve covers only to find that I HAD taken them all out. Definitely worth double-checking that sort of thing, maybe even make a checklist as the consequences can be pretty bad.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a, ahem, bad experience I now plug the oil passages in the heads with bits of blue shop towels when doing valve work. Last time around I had everything back together when I suddenly realized I couldn't remember taking out all the plugs... off came the fairings, re-drained and removed the fuel tank, removed valve covers only to find that I HAD taken them all out. Definitely worth double-checking that sort of thing, maybe even make a checklist as the consequences can be pretty bad.
Now that definitely sounds like something I would do! One of those moments where you're like "Of course I'll remember"... and then you don't!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just performed my first desmo service on my ST4s. New belts, checked the valves, new air filter, oil change, new valve cover gaskets. Get it all put back together and it runs like garbage. The engine races and won't come down below 5 or 6k rpms.

I'm feeling defeated to say the least. After a sleepless night and much pondering, I finally decided last night after work to start taking part the intake to see if I messed something up on the throttle body. As soon as I removed the air filter, this is what greeted me.

Doh!!!! My best intentions of preventing any debris from falling in my intake while I was working kinda backfired :laugh:

Anyway, don't forget to check the simple things! Thankfully it didn't suck any of the rags into the motor!

That’s funny VAduc, appreciate you sharing. I’ve outsmarted myself to my own detriment more time than I can count!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Done some stupid things in the past but alas this does not beat them :-(. Thanks for sharing and a good reminder to keep your mind on the job....

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Wow! Need a cat or 2??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The cats wouldn't touch the evil demons that did this to me.
Come to find out these vermin are venomous.
I only got rid of them by setting lots of big f***ing traps (they laughed at the little ones).

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Reminds me of when I parked up my old Honda 400/4 for a day at the coast. Got back to it and it wouldn't start, tried all sorts to get it going. Wasn't until it got colder and I wondered where my gloves were that I realised what had happened - had put them under the seat, they were covering the air intake..... Funny now (not so much then).

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
On my 900SSie with an open carbon clutch cover I once had it running while removing some dirt with a microfibre rag too close to the clutch. The rag caught the spinning clutch and was hurled around it destroying the carbon cover. I immediately shut down the engine with one word inside my head: “IDIOT”.
You made me cringe with that. It reminds me of the picture of the guy's fingers many years ago where he was wiping off his chain with the bike on a rear stand, running, and in gear, and his fingers got caught between the chain and sprocket.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You made me cringe with that. It reminds me of the picture of the guy's fingers many years ago where he was wiping off his chain with the bike on a rear stand, running, and in gear, and his fingers got caught between the chain and sprocket.
You mean what's left of his fingers. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts