Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for ye faithfull of the almighty ducati.ms board!

As the title says, I'm thinking about picking up a '95 916. I used to have one for a bit, and want one again. The previous one was more of a showroom queen that I didn't ride...this one I will. I think everyone here knows why I would want one, and a 95 in particular, but the real question is...why wouldn't I?

I know about the ergo's, I know about the parts, Regulator failures, etc. etc. However, given how relatively reliable the last couple generation Superbikes have been, I'd like to know more about people's actual mechanical ownership experiences enmasse.

Besides the common things like services, valves, belts, etc. that most of us are well familiar with...The question is...on a wider scale...is a 916 that you actually ride a nightmare to actually own, or somewhat reasonable? I've had one person who rode his a couple thousand miles a year tell me his was a nightmare, and another who rode his a couple thousand miles a year tell me his gave him almost no trouble at all. I well understand that IS the story with Ducati in general, but I suppose what I'm looking for is a poll of actual owners of the 916, and their ownership experiences....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got a question for ye faithfull of the almighty ducati.ms board!

As the title says, I'm thinking about picking up a '95 916. I used to have one for a bit, and want one again. The previous one was more of a showroom queen that I didn't ride...this one I will. I think everyone here knows why I would want one, and a 95 in particular, but the real question is...why wouldn't I?

I know about the ergo's, I know about the parts, Regulator failures, etc. etc. However, given how relatively reliable the last couple generation Superbikes have been, I'd like to know more about people's actual mechanical ownership experiences enmasse.

Besides the common things like services, valves, belts, etc. that most of us are well familiar with...The question is...on a wider scale...is a 916 that you actually ride a nightmare to actually own, or somewhat reasonable? I've had one person who rode his a couple thousand miles a year tell me his was a nightmare, and another who rode his a couple thousand miles a year tell me his gave him almost no trouble at all. I well understand that IS the story with Ducati in general, but I suppose what I'm looking for is a poll of actual owners of the 916, and their ownership experiences....

Thoughts?
If you can live with high maintenance then what are you waiting for? If it brings you happiness, do it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I know, but I don't want a nightmare. This is ironic cause I now my way around Ducati superbikes, but now I'm thinking AGAIN of spending my hard earned cash on a vintage bike, and want to know the nightmare factor if you plan on riding it 2-3K a year....

What am I waiting for? A nice 998 otherwise. Really, what I should do is get a 998 and put 916 graphics on it...

However, there's nothing like having the original....

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you can live with high maintenance then what are you waiting for? If it brings you happiness, do it.

I agree, if you enjoy maintaining you bike and have time or money on it then the 916 is great. In my experience there is always some thing to do though my friend has one he hardly touches and it runs really good, but he doesn't ride it much either. I keep telling him to change the belts, I must remind him again.

I had no serious problems with my '95 916 and loved the bike and enjoyed working on it. Its always a real occasion to go out on a 916. I just hope I am going to like the '06 999S I am going to buy next weekend as much.

I haven't owned one bit I would imagine if you want to spend less time with the fairings off, the 998 would be a better bet.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I didn't put a lot of miles on mine over a four year span, partly because for over two years I couldn't ride due to injuries. During that time I extensively upgraded it and finally considered it "done". I felt lucky with it being a buddy of mine's 916 was having everything go wrong with it. My luck ran out when it broke down a very long way from home. Previous to that I went through all the electrical issues, but this time the computer went whacky and told the fuel system to spill gas into the cylinders. Wierd problem. This wasn't the reason why I sold it, but it was just time to move on. I wish I had it back in order to appreciate what I did to it, but I couldn't trust it on a ride after numerous previous breakdowns because of the electrical issues then the ECU. I wanted a bike I could trust a little more, a newer model mainly. Here she is in her glory:

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't put a lot of miles on mine over a four year span, partly because for over two years I couldn't ride due to injuries. During that time I extensively upgraded it and finally considered it "done". I felt lucky with it being a buddy of mine's 916 was having everything go wrong with it. My luck ran out when it broke down a very long way from home. Previous to that I went through all the electrical issues, but this time the computer went whacky and told the fuel system to spill gas into the cylinders. Wierd problem. This wasn't the reason why I sold it, but it was just time to move on. I wish I had it back in order to appreciate what I did to it, but I couldn't trust it on a ride after numerous previous breakdowns because of the electrical issues then the ECU. I wanted a bike I could trust a little more, a newer model mainly. Here she is in her glory:
Hi John,

Thank you for an excellent response. That's just the kind of info that I'm looking for. I'm sure folks have had wonderful experiences with there 916's...I had a customer once that rode his '95 or '96 916 in for a 36,000 service...rode in on the back wheel and left on the back wheel...original owner; never had a problem with the bike. Bike was tight mechanically and ready to go another 36,000 miles, by the looks of it.

I'm trying to tally up the negative responses with the positive, and see how it balances out. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
That looks incredible!! Nice work!!

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
95/916? Let let me tell you about my blood sucking Bitch.

The stark truth is a 1995 916 is fifteen years old. Who owned it and how was it maintained and all of the usual questions. Seals, bearings, mating surfaces and the like do go south no matter how often one changes the oil or rubs the bike with yak belly button oil.
Go hunting for a hold over 2008 1098 and pay $14,000.00, or less if you are luckier than me, and get a two year warranty with it. The 1098/1198 is very much like a 916 in many ways.
There is more room on a 1098/1198 to move around which is good for me.
I spent a wad of money on my 1995 916 and then sold it to a friend who has also spent a wad of money on it. I could have bought a new bike for what I put into the bike. I bought it from a guy who also put a wad of money into it now that I think of it.
Money is one thing but all of the time involved,wow!!
I loved the bike! I spent hours and hours cursing and laughing at it and with it.
If I can't ride due to winter weather/snowing and blowing I like nothing better than working on my bikes. I get into this mode/fixation and I just don't know when enough is enough.
My goal was to return the 916 to like new condition and for the most part I did. I replaced every piece of rubber, chasis bearings and seals front and rear, new Surflex slipper clutch, everything but tearing the engine down. The picture is when my dog Buddy and I first got the bike.
Go buy a new 1098 and be happy or go ahead and find a hopefully well maintained 916 and be a slave to the ungrateful gitchy Bitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts

THAT IS HOT!

Japanese bikes are very reliable. It's true :)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i vote do it

as long as it's been well looked after

just check or do soon:

radiator overflow bottle

oil pressure sensor is the later model

new coolant & hoses, oil, oil filter, belts, brake fluid, fuel filter, clutch slave cylinder, i like the ratio of the stock so just sleeved it and had a better seal fitted, air filters.

if it's got aftermarket pipes it has a pc and been dynoed

oh and post up photos of course

·
Registered
248 Posts
All I can say is, if you want it that bad, just go buy it............and live with whatever problems the bike gives you.

I built my own 916 from ground up, 748 frame with 916 engine, and bunch other mix matching parts from 748-998 series, don't even mention the carbons. The amount of money I've spent could've buy me a new bike, and don't even mention the time and efforts I've put into it. PCIII with Dynos, regulator, fluids change, constantly being inspected.........just endless. But unlike most general public, I have the luxury of wrenching in motorcycle shop, and I kinda enjoys it.

Ducati 916 is actually easier to work on than my Yamaha YZF1000R.

·
Registered
537 Posts
my first 916 a '97 i drove it for 27.000km no problemes at al.
last month i bought a '94 i drove it for 600km and i have my first probleme i can down shift any more.
but i still glad i bought one again and i don't regret it.

henk!!!

·
grand poobah
705 Posts
I had a 97 916 and loved it. I rode it regular with only the rectifier connector issue, but wimped out on the track. I was honestly afraid to hurt it. Based on price for replacement parts I amassed all the bits I fiured could get damaged on the track. Eventually I had really ugly bike, with all the rashed bodypanels i had purchased that I felt comfortable with on track. Eventually I purchased another frame used all the extra parts and I built a 748 and have tracked it for 7 years now. I sold the 916 because I didnt need two bikes and have always wanted it back. My 748 is nice but does not have the panache of the 916. By the way putting 916 grafics on a 1098 would be wrong. As long as you are taking opinions I vote you take on a project and put a 999/1098 engine in a 916 frame. Best wishes Brad

·
Registered
447 Posts
I sold my 851 a few years ago, and will never make that mistake again. The joy I would get by still having it far exceeds the few thousand I got.

An older Ducati that get ridden regularly either has had its demons exorcised or will shortly after you start using it the way it was intended.

916's are solid classics that can be reliable with the proper attitude and attention.

I will probably add another bike or two to the garage that are more modern, but the 916 is a bike that holds up well in many ways, even when viewed through the past 15 years of progress.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a '95 916 as well. All the issues with them are well documented and, for the most part, easy to resolve. Mine has acted up twice--once when the regulator connectors went south and the other time when it blew a fuel line in the tank. I replaced the wiring going directly to the stator along with installing motowheels upgraded battery cables and haven't had a charging problem since. The fuel lines were replaced with high pressure line from NAPA. I have seriously thought about selling it and getting something newer, but the bike has so much character. The newer bikes are amazing and would best the 916 in almost every category, but there's just something so attractive about how raw and unrefined the old 916 is........

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
You know, it would probably seem a whole lot more refined if you stoped riding through quarries. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The stark truth is a 1995 916 is fifteen years old. Who owned it and how was it maintained and all of the usual questions. Seals, bearings, mating surfaces and the like do go south no matter how often one changes the oil or rubs the bike with yak belly button oil.
Go hunting for a hold over 2008 1098 and pay $14,000.00, or less if you are luckier than me, and get a two year warranty with it. The 1098/1198 is very much like a 916 in many ways.
There is more room on a 1098/1198 to move around which is good for me.
I spent a wad of money on my 1995 916 and then sold it to a friend who has also spent a wad of money on it. I could have bought a new bike for what I put into the bike. I bought it from a guy who also put a wad of money into it now that I think of it.
Money is one thing but all of the time involved,wow!!
I loved the bike! I spent hours and hours cursing and laughing at it and with it.
If I can't ride due to winter weather/snowing and blowing I like nothing better than working on my bikes. I get into this mode/fixation and I just don't know when enough is enough.
My goal was to return the 916 to like new condition and for the most part I did. I replaced every piece of rubber, chasis bearings and seals front and rear, new Surflex slipper clutch, everything but tearing the engine down. The picture is when my dog Buddy and I first got the bike.
Go buy a new 1098 and be happy or go ahead and find a hopefully well maintained 916 and be a slave to the ungrateful gitchy Bitch.
I have a '95 916 as well. All the issues with them are well documented and, for the most part, easy to resolve. Mine has acted up twice--once when the regulator connectors went south and the other time when it blew a fuel line in the tank. I replaced the wiring going directly to the stator along with installing motowheels upgraded battery cables and haven't had a charging problem since. The fuel lines were replaced with high pressure line from NAPA. I have seriously thought about selling it and getting something newer, but the bike has so much character. The newer bikes are amazing and would best the 916 in almost every category, but there's just something so attractive about how raw and unrefined the old 916 is........
Thanks guys! Some really great perspectives. The stark reality IS the 916 is fifteen years old, and the problems it had out of the box have not gotten better with time. Add to that brittle seals, chafed wiring, etc. and what you potentially end up with is a beautiful PITA that you can't wait to sell. That being said, 916WI makes a great point when he says that al the issues with them have been well documented, and his suggestions, combined with some of Shazzam's recommendations regarding wiring mods, etc. might avoid a lot of problems. I raised an eyebrow when I read about John's bike dumping raw gas into the cylinders, but having never heard that one before I'm assuming that's a pretty freaky occurance.

Here's one to add to the list.... on the 916 that I had, somewhere around 13K miles, the stator broke in half (!). Years of heat cycles must have caused the resin holding the magnets together to weaken and crack, and next thing you know...TWO pieces where there had been ONE!

Sooo...still in the hunt, but still collecting data, but one thing is clear. Now that I have a better handle on the issues the 916 has, in the event I choose to pick another one up, I'll want to inquire about how the various electrical problems have been handled, if they even have (asuming the owner knows what I'm talking about).

Any other experiences out there to share?

·
Registered
63 Posts
95 916

I got my 1995 916 used in 1997 with 5000 miles on it. Has served me well. 15,000 miles now and half that was put on the track. Never failed me on road or track. No rocker issues either as it predated the factory outsourcing difficulties. Wonderful machine and will always be my favourite. Yes, there is more maintenance involved than other machines but I view it as part of the enjoyment.
Dave

·
Registered
519 Posts
I still have my '95 and have put about 46,000K on it. A friend purchased one at the same time and he has over 60,000K now. I have never used it for commuting. I have only had a quick release fuel connector break and some hard chroming on a cam and rocker flaked. There are a number of high mileage 916's here in Australia. The longest trip was 5000k return to ther MotoGP in 1996. The bike has never let me down. I have purchased a 999s purely as I need the more compliant ohlins suspension. I am about to sell it even though I should keep it but time is slightly against me. Get a one owner bike and you should be right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had 2 916s, both '98 models. No problems with either one.

JR

1 - 20 of 34 Posts