Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sadness and apprehension are the two words to describe how I feel as I'm thinking of selling my fantastic 03 999R. Some of you know the bike and would agree it is a very special breed of Ducati. It represents the new body style Ducati introduced in 2003, a break from the Tamburini era 916 superbikes. The 999 was a shocker to many died in wool Ducati fans, but eventually the bike overcame most of the purists, kicked butt on the race track and gained more acceptance as it aged. In time more people began to appreciate the 999 and the bike underwent a Phoenix resurrection in popularity. I believe given time, people began to appreciate how advanced and well thought out the bike was, these points and more were detailed in the excellent book, "999, Birth Of A Legend" by Alan Cathcart and Mark Cook. At the time, I wanted to learn more about the 999, from concept to the assembly line and this book delivered. I literally could not put the book down and read it cover to cover the first night. To this day I'll pick it up once in a while just to read a couple pages, but soon realized that wasn't enough and the two pages turned into many more. Obviously, you can tell I really liked the book, but not enough to deny the lucky person who buys the bike because the book will go with it as a good karma gift.

As with other Ducatis I have owned, I invested time and money upgrading them, the 999R fell in line with this uncontrollable urge to improve both looks and performance. Nothing crazy or flashy, let's use the popular phrase, "tastefully done". The top shelf upgrade I always wanted since I heard the sound of Martin from Motowheels carbon fiber clad 999R, was the Leo Vince Ti Corsa full system, but first I needed the 999R to go with it! On a weekend day I rode up to the legendary Wentworth Springs Rd on my 900SS and stopped on the side of the road just pass Stumpy Meadows. While just relaxing and taking in the forest scene I picked up the distinctive sound of a Ducati apparently coming my way. It was hard to tell because the mountains bounced the sound waves around, but as the bike got close, my interest level went up as the exhaust note got closer. I recognized Martin as soon as he came around a curve, riding his one of a kind 999R. He pulled over and I had to know what exhaust system he was running and that was my first introduction to a fabled sound, the Leo Vince Ti Corsa full system.

Four bikes later I was in the market for a 999R and I was lucky enough to find what I wanted in LA. I made arrangements to meet the owner the next day so I hooked up my cargo trailer and off I went to the City of Angels. It was the fastest transaction and turn around I ever experienced. The bike was 100% stock at the time and I knew right away that was going to change!

I'll go into the accessories/upgrades I added when I officially put the bike up for sale, but you guessed it, I bought the very same exhaust system that Martin had and just by pure luck I was able to buy it directly from the Leo Vince domestic sales office in Richmond, Ca., just before Leo Vince shut down the facility. The bike has close to $10K retail in upgrades, the Leo Vince Ti Corsa system alone had a retail price of around $3.5K at the time.

For now I'll take a bunch of photos of it and by the way, the bike has only 4,440 miles on the odo. Except for a couple scratches and a small indent on the exhaust cannister I caused installing it, the bike is in perfect condition.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sold the R John

I sold the 1098R to a very elated buyer in Illinois last May. I had it detailed (yes buff-n-shine) and professionally photographed for ebay. It was tough to see the girl shipped off :( in a private moto transport but times were "a changin" as Bob Dylan would say. The ticket price worked well too. I've had some awesome times on the brutal machine and wont ever forget riding with the Norcal Ducati fellers. Best rides were Wentworth (thanks John first ride w Moto and running into Craig with the Desmo RR at the ice cream shop) and Middletown in 09 and '10. Then the Skaggs ride in '11 (w/ DucShep and Quanton along with Chris and other bad-assers) was brilliant after the Black Bear Diner morning feast.

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, those were some fun times my friend. I'll put it up for sale in a month or so. I wanted to hold on to the Harley, but we have been wanting a motorhome for a while, especially after I saw a photo of Scott's rig, lol. I'm looking at a diesel pusher right now.

·
Administrator
11,846 Posts
We have used our motorhome 22 times in the last year. Like a boat, always something to do but lots of fun and rewarding enjoyment. We will be heading to Death Valley in March in you want to join the fun.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Yeah, those were some fun times my friend. I'll put it up for sale in a month or so. I wanted to hold on to the Harley, but we have been wanting a motorhome for a while, especially after I saw a photo of Scott's rig, lol. I'm looking at a diesel pusher right now.
So... did ya sell the 999R, John?

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... did ya sell the 999R, John?
No, not yet. Shows you I'm dragging my feet. Everytime I go out to the garage and take the cover off just to admire it, I think about keeping it. The whole process is an emotional roller coaster. But, just recently I decided no more of that, it's time to take some photos and put her on the block. I know I'm biased, but each Ducati I've owned, from the 916 on I upgraded them, doesn't make financial sense unless you plan on keeping the bike a long time. But I believe my 999R is one of the finer examples tastefully upgraded, the highlight being the full Leo Vince 57mm Corsa Ti exhaust and bits like the NCR ride height adjuster to magnesium valve covers and full Brembo/Rizoma brake and clutch controls, the list goes on. I'll be sure to itemize all the upgrades when I finally list it.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
We're going to start selling some of the Motowheels project bikes as well.

It will be sad to see them go.

-M

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
..........I know I'm biased, but each Ducati I've owned, from the 916 on I upgraded them, doesn't make financial sense unless you plan on keeping the bike a long time. But I believe my 999R is one of the finer examples tastefully upgraded, the highlight being the full Leo Vince 57mm Corsa Ti exhaust and bits like the NCR ride height adjuster to magnesium valve covers and full Brembo/Rizoma brake and clutch controls, the list goes on.

After clicking on the pic I can see why you're dragging you feet. My GAWD that bike's gorgeous. I've always thought that this model was the best Ducati had to offer in terms of styling and performance.

On my bucket list is having two; one for a static display in my ginormous man cave after I win the Powerball lottery, and one to ride. :)

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're going to start selling some of the Motowheels project bikes as well.

It will be sad to see them go.

-M
What's on the list Martin? BTW, I've got to visit, it's been a while. I think the last time I went on any kind of ride on the 999R was with you up to Wentworth Springs Rd. That was a nice ride, we sure had many of them back in the day. I'm sure going to miss that road, in fact you were with me the first time I rode Wentworth Springs, that was like in 2004 and I was on my 900SS. I still remember vividly when approaching the stop sign looking over at you and expressing some kind of big "WOW!" However, I can't recall what you were on, maybe the very cool carbon 999R? I always loved that bike, in fact it was the reason why I bought the Leo Vince Corsa full exhaust for my 999R six years later after I heard you coming up the road near Stumpy Meadows, I'll never forget the sound of the Leo Vince in the distance, the up and down rumble as the exhaust note bounced off the canyon walls, it was a motorcyclist's version of the "Sound of Music".

I think I just talked myself into going on a ride. I know your schedule is tight, let me know when you're available and I'll make the time. Maybe some others would like to have a rider reunion? But, not until the heat wave goes away.

·
Premium Member
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sold the 1098R to a very elated buyer in Illinois last May. I had it detailed (yes buff-n-shine) and professionally photographed for ebay. It was tough to see the girl shipped off :( in a private moto transport but times were "a changin" as Bob Dylan would say. The ticket price worked well too. I've had some awesome times on the brutal machine and wont ever forget riding with the Norcal Ducati fellers. Best rides were Wentworth (thanks John first ride w Moto and running into Craig with the Desmo RR at the ice cream shop) and Middletown in 09 and '10. Then the Skaggs ride in '11 (w/ DucShep and Quanton along with Chris and other bad-assers) was brilliant after the Black Bear Diner morning feast.
I know it's been awhile since your post, but on reread you mentioned Chris. Did you notice he disappeared and went AWOL the day after he got married? It was like a life changing event, maybe his wife put her foot down. The same could be said about another victim, Bombash Petrovic. Just when he got his upgraded and very nice 996 dialed in, he too went missing after he got married. However, I did see him once at a trackday, I'm sure it was his last, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts