Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my first bike back in October - a 2007 R6S. Despite all the "don't buy a 600cc I4 for your first bike" advice I read, I have friends who started on similar bikes and did fine so I gave it a shot. With about 1500 miles under my belt, I've come to realize a few things:

1) It's way more power than I can really use on the street (and I don't go to the track).
2) While I enjoy a twisty road, I have no desire to go around blatantly abusing the speed limit, drag knees, popping wheelies, etc.
3) It's very uncomfortable after about 30-40 minutes.

So that has me thinking - if I'm not hauling ass everywhere I go, why am I putting up with an uncomfortable bike? I've always loved the Monster styling and, obviously, the Ducati sound. I also think I'd really like the L twin torque commuting vs. the rev-happy I4. How would you guys rate the comfort of a Monster? How are they riding 2 up (wife is interested in riding with me, but not on the Yamaha due to the seating position)? Is there a particular model you would recommend? I'm looking at used bikes in the $6000-7000 range. The bike will be used for commuting on a regular basis (40-55 mph country roads mostly) and the occasional weekend joy ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, for the record I'm also considering a Triumph Street Triple R. Anyone have experience with both? There isn't a dealership around here where I can look at either bike, but from what I've seen online the Triumph appears to have a more upright seating position. The Monster is far more upright than my Yamaha, though, and I do prefer the Monster styling vs. the Triumph.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yep, the sport bikes of today are made for the race track. Test ride the 1100 & whatever other Monster you can find in your price range. I'd give the Monster high marks in comfort and build quality. But there an L twin not a V !

·
Registered
40 Posts
I say go for it! I went from a Ducati 749 to a Monster S2R 1000, and the riding position is night and day. I can ride the Monster for hours and not have any issues. And they still have plenty of guts to get you around those tight corners at any speed you choose to take them at :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh, for the record I'm also considering a Triumph Street Triple R. Anyone have experience with both? There isn't a dealership around here where I can look at either bike, but from what I've seen online the Triumph appears to have a more upright seating position. The Monster is far more upright than my Yamaha, though, and I do prefer the Monster styling vs. the Triumph.
I own a 2010 Street Triple R. It's a hoot. I would say its more of a naked sports bike than a um cruiser. Mine is fitted with a full arrow zorst, quickshifter and rear sets. I have added many more mods like wider speed triple bars, bar end mirrors.

It's a great bike, extremely light and flickable, very good for around town as there is no lumpiness, the triple engine is a real peach, great for low speeds but even better when you want to give it some. Oh the noise.

I would set the STR next to the Streetfighter 848 more than a monster really as the STR does have a history of speed coming from the Daytona 675.

To be honest you should really try them both/all to see what tickles your fancy. As we say here in Blighty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a 1995 M900 and a 1997 BMW R1100R. I find the M900 much more fun on the open road due to the high gearing (I have even geared it down) than around town. The BMW is my favourite as a shopping basket and on really long trips ( ride 300+kM regularily) but less fun on the twisties. I find the M900 the fun bike good on the twisties where I dont even have to ride at illegal speeds to get a thrill. Handling defientaly seems better than BMW. Standard seating is a pain on the M900 and my wife hates it. Noise and poor pillion comforts.

Price of parts a real pain on Ducati but BMW much more reasonable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
First off get a Monster if you really want one. They are awesome bikes, easy to work on, and comfterable to ride. I daily drive mine for work and ride down to panama city beach on occasion with no issues. It sounds like you would like either a Monster or a simjlar type naked sport or sport touring bike. If you dont like the Monster then I'de recommend checking out any of the Yamaha "Fazers", Suzuki SV650's or Bandits, and if you can find one then check out Kawi's Z750. Good luck with your search, hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments/suggestions so far. I'm going to try to get to a dealership somewhere to throw a leg over one soon.

Any more suggestions about which model to look for in the $7000 or less price range (used obviously)? What kind of deals do you think might be out there on "new old stock" 2012 and 2011 bikes when the 2013s come out?

·
Registered
221 Posts
To bad you aren't closer I'de let you test mine out.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think they call it "L" twin because its 90 degree angle between the two banks and the way the engine mounts relative to the ground makes it look like an "L".

However, thats not why I posted, anyone have a Old monster with more than 50k miles on it? I'm looking to buy one, but just not sure what maintenance nightmares await underneath.

By maintenance nightmares I mean is there any major engine components such as piston rings, head gaskets, oil seals etc. Fluids change, chain adjustment, etc are a given. I'm more worried about those little hard to reach components that tend to fail after long periods of use and or time.

I'm planning on doing a compression check also, does anyone know the what kind of pressure I should expect from a high mileage Monster engine (M900)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just like with most bikes, you'll want to have the suspension set up for your weight.
It seems the Monster is set up for a smaller person, so factor in some suspension upgrades.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a 2004 S4R for sale locally. It has 25,000 miles on it and a small dent in the tank. Otherwise, it looks clean from the pictures. He is asking $4800, but I can probably get it for less. Any thoughts/comments? Anything in particular to look for on a bike with that many miles?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think if I was gonna go Monster, I'd look around for a decent S4RS....the best Monster IMO.
Admittedly, it will go a little above your stated price range, but if you're gonna jump in, jump in the deep end LOL

And there's a couple on eBay right now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
First off get a Monster if you really want one. They are awesome bikes, easy to work on, and comfterable to ride. I daily drive mine for work and ride down to panama city beach on occasion with no issues. It sounds like you would like either a Monster or a simjlar type naked sport or sport touring bike. If you dont like the Monster then I'de recommend checking out any of the Yamaha "Fazers", Suzuki SV650's or Bandits, and if you can find one then check out Kawi's Z750. Good luck with your search, hope this helps.
Given you're finding the 600 too much power, I'd consider the 2 valve Monsters ahead of an S4RS. You'll feel like you've got three times the power of your 600 on an S4RS. I also have a Yamaha Fazer (the naked one which isnt available in USA). I have actually found the stock seat on the Monster to be annoying, so I'm just changing it. Otherwise they are both great bikes (I have positive feedback on both Monster and Yamaha from my missus, although she likes the sound of the Monster far more). The STR that you're considering is more of a wheelie weapon than your current bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After a little more reading, I think you're right. The S4R is probably more bike than I'm looking for. There's a 2006 S2R 1000 semi-local that's somewhat appealing, too. Fewer miles, better condition, and only a little more money.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love my M696, and it's very comfortable to ride as a passenger too. Going from an R6 to a straight up touring bike is pretty drastic, so in my opinion the Monster is a perfect solution. I'd recommend the newer Monsters, probably the 696 or 796. If you really want, go up to the 1100...but for what you've described as your intent, the smaller siblings would be just fine. Easy to maintain (longer service intervals), fun to customize (the tank panels come off if you want another color, or if they get damaged), and there are lots of great deals out there--especially on the 2009 696. You can find a stock one for as little as $6K. I should have gone with a Monster before a 748 as a second bike, but oh well. And I bet your wife will want to learn how to ride it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
To me it's all how you feel sitting on the bike. I recommend you sit on both the Monster and STR (better yet test ride them if you can). I had the exact same problem choosing between the two until I sat on them both in a showroom back to back. The Monster 796 just fit better and was more comfortable - I fit right 'in' the bike instead of on top of it. I came from owning a Ducati Supersport and wanted something more civilized but still tons of fun and the Monster was it. Branding had no sway since both Ducati and Triumph are great names.
On the other side the STR will smoke my Monster in performance. It's got MUCH better suspension (than my 796) and the engine is much more punchy. But my feelings were to ride the Monster as long as I could until I felt I needed more power and then upgrade to an 100 EVO Monster. That's always the best way to do it I think. Or maybe I won't even need to.
I do like the styling of the STR but I also like to modify my bikes and customize them to my liking so maybe I'll slap on some dual round headlights on my Monster...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts