Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background...

A 2002 Monster 620 was my first bike back in 2004, it was stolen in 2005. I really liked the Ducati, but the service was expensive. My next bike was a 2004 Honda Interceptor back in 2006. This was a very reliable machine and comfortable for long day trips. Had to sell per the wife's request in 2007. I really enjoyed the sport touring capabilities.

I have been looking at bikes for almost 2 years now, and I just came across a 2003 ST4s ABS for sale in the local area. I am being transfered in April (Navy) and I am seriously considering this bike. Here is the Craigs listing: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/1064906711.html
I have also attached some additional pictures from today when I saw the bike. Hope they show up.

It has a lot of upgrades, new tires, recently serviced. I just wanted to get a second opinion before I purchase. Not sure if this is a reasonable price. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, you guys have a nice site, and I have already learned a lot here along with getting the Ducati bug back again. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Looks like an average price for an ST4S of that year and mileage. I have seen some going for a little less. Not a steal, but not over the top either. The ST4S bikes will be more expensive to maintain than a 2V bike, because of the water cooling, more valves etc. You are getting much more in the way of power and the suspension is top notch. I have an 99 ST4 and just love it. An ST4S is even better. A ducati is not a japenese bike. It will take more effort in the long run, but I think well worth it. Nothing like a 4V duc on the open road and the twisties. Will put a grin on your face. The joy of owning a duc is very much the connection of it and your heart. That cant be quantified. When it happens, its a beautiful thing.

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not a bad price especially since the service was just done. I assume he has all the records.

Scott

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks like a good bike for the price; several upgrades and of course ABS is always a good feature on a sport-tourer.

My buddy has an 02 Interceptor and still loves riding it even though he has a BMW R1200S. I thought about buying an ST3 a couple years back but didn't do it... probably should have. Although I haven't rode an ST4, I have heard good things about the power delivery and long rang capabilities... Good luck with your decision!

·
Ducati Designs
1,123 Posts
I think that's a dynamite deal! Great upgrades (except one...), the Penske shock, Sargent seat, etc all add value. The 12K was close to a grand, and the tires are fresh. The comfort kit fairing is a nice upgrade too, and pretty rare. You won't find a better Sport-tourer for anyhting near that price, ready to rock and roll!

Go for it!

pg
DD

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it may be a good deal. I will definitely make sure he has the service records.

Any more info about the Penske shock? It had lots of adjustments. What are the negatives?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it may be a good deal. I will definitely make sure he has the service records.

Any more info about the Penske shock? It had lots of adjustments. What are the negatives?
I' ll jump in here, there is nothing wrong with any of your accessories.:D

Paul Geller owns and sells DUCATI DESIGNS headlight systems, the perfect accessory that you are missing! :D

Paul didn't quite phrase his sentence right, but I knew what he meant. :rolleyes:

It looks like the bike has thousands of added extras, some no longer available, does it come with the original parts as well?

Craig

·
Still needs a life.
12,543 Posts
Maintenance costs will be higher for the ST4s than your Monster because your are going to rack up a lot more miles on the ST4s than you did on your Monster.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
So if its got a Penske rear shock what Ohlins is left , the standard forks are Showa , has he upgraded ?
Looks a nice bike otherwise , perhaps just a bit of confusion ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
your soon to be ST4s with abs

I have the 2004 version of that bike with 17,000 miles on it.

I LOVE THIS BIKE! See my picutures on this forums threads.

This bike is basically stock with exception of the rear shock.

Those are stock wheels also, they're not forged but still nice looking wheels.

The headlight upgrade is a critical requirement, i would not leave home without it.

The price seems reasonable if he has all service records.

Depending on how long it has been on the market and what his reason for sellinng is I would offer at least $500 less.

Right now in Southern CA that bike would go for between $6500 and $7500.

That recent service is worth $900 here in SoCal.

Make sure that there is no oil seapage at the cyclinder/case area on the vertical head. That was an issue on older models of the ST. Though I'm not sure if that applied to the 03MY.

Good luck with your purchase, you will love the bike.

steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if its got a Penske rear shock what Ohlins is left , the standard forks are Showa , has he upgraded ?
Looks a nice bike otherwise , perhaps just a bit of confusion ?
I did not even think about that one. :confused: I forgot it mentioned the Ohlins on Craigs list. It has no Ohlins. When I saw the bike it had Showa up front and the Penske in the rear with a remote reservoir and adjustments.

I do really like the Ducati Designs headlamps. The look nice and have good feedback here on the forum. It will be one of my first mods. *Assuming I get the bike. :rolleyes:

I did ride the wheels off my Monster when I had it. I only had it for one year though. It was my primary vehicle. I rode it year round in the sun, rain, and even snow. My wife had the cage for groceries, hauling the kids around, etc.
When it got stolen, I just bought a cheap car until I could find another bike I liked, plus the fact I was worried about buying one and living at my current location, so I waited until I moved again to get my Honda VFR.

Well, I am looking into getting a bank check so I can test ride the bike. He wants money in hand which is understandable.

I will try and update on here after my test ride. It may be a few days.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
"Those are stock wheels also, they're not forged but still nice looking wheels."

I thought the 5 spoke 's' wheels were lighter because they were forged ??
2lb lighter Rear 1lb lighter Front I recall ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, he accepted my offer for $7200. I think that is reasonable. I will pick-up the bike in a couple of days. I am looking forward to joining the ranks here, and I hope I can be as helpful as you guys have been. Thanks.

I will post my first ride impressions shortly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up my new to me 2003 ST4s today and rode about 100 miles. All I have to see is..."WOW!" Bike is comfortable, fast, unique, and pretty. I am looking forward to putting many more miles on her. Thanks for everyones' help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No blonde model pics. Wife would probably get upset. I have a couple of new photos, but I am in the process of moving. It may be a little while before I get those posted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 45 Posts