Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about buying a 2003 ducati 749 superbike with 18,500 miles and they are asking $5,499.00. What do u guys think? Any common issues with these I should know about. Anybody have a ballpark of how much insurance is?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have an 04 and love it. Insurance is very very subjective, not sure if any of our rates will even remotely be a proxy for you and your situation. The early years (03-04) didn't come with rear swingarm spools, so see if they have drilled them in already. Check for condition of plastics, they can be pricey. Do the usual due diligence you would for any Ducati and ask to see paperwork for valve checks, belts, oil changes, plugs, cylinder synchronization, life left on tires etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love mine :) If the bike has had all of it's valve adjustments done it might be getting close to completely settled in now with that mileage which will mean less and less adjustments down the road.

You can get thru-the-axle sliders that double as rear spools which work pretty well.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I love mine :) If the bike has had all of it's valve adjustments done it might be getting close to completely settled in now with that mileage which will mean less and less adjustments down the road.

You can get thru-the-axle sliders that double as rear spools which work pretty well.
Thru-the-axle means you can't remove rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Whats the difference between 749 and 749s?
03 749s has the same motor as the 03 749.you get slightly upgraded showa forks and shock,along with basically all 03 749s models imported were monoposto

·
Registered
56 Posts
In 2004 there were a lot more differences with the S then in '03.. I love my 749s. Was lucky to find one in awesome condition, with about 10,xxx miles. If you have never had experience with a dry clutch before, then it might take some getting used to hearing it at idle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought an '03 749 a bit more than a year ago. It's an awesome bike on the track and on the street. I highly recommend it!

As for the swingarm spools issue, Ducati Performance made a rear stand unique to the cast swingarm xx9 models. They come up for sale periodically, and not too expensive (not many people want them).

2003 models had a recall to replace their oil coolers. This is not a reason not to buy the bike, but if you do get it, you can check with Ducati to see if yours was done. They'll still do it for free if it wasn't, but after nine years, if it was going to leak, it probably would have by now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i have A 2010 streetfighter, so i have a dry clutch. I test drove it today and I liked it except After about 10min of riding my palms were in pain, so i don't know yet. I dont wanna have that annoying pain as I'm riding. Also I noticed a few times while taking off from a stop, as I would let the clutch out it mad a whining noise??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought 2003 749s back in February. You definitely want to have a strong battery for it. It has a hard time starting if the resting voltage is below 12v and ambient temperature is 55 degrees or colder. It also has a tendency to stall when you ride it hard for an extended time and then come to a stop immediately afterwards. I got the tps reset and idle adjusted by a local shop but it still stalls :/ You just have to blip the throttle a bit before coming to a stop. Even with these quirks the bike is alluring in its sound, handling, and looks. Btw mine is a biposto which I read from some thread before only a few got imported here.

I was getting crazy insurance quotes like $1000+ a year for collision/underinsured/theft and got the best quote from state farm that was about half that with 250k collision if I remember. I've only been riding for 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

1 - 11 of 11 Posts