Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking if trading in my SC 1000 for a 999. The reason being to obtain a more capable track bike. I would appreciate any 999 insight you guys could provide. Things to look for, avoid, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Good maintenance history is the most important. Everything else is eyewash imho. FANTASTIC track bike.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I'd go for it, you won't be disappointed. I own a 2003 999r
and love it, it is a track only bike now. If I were in the market for a 999 I'd be looking at an 05 or 06 R model.

MadRiver is that as in Mad River Glen "Ski it if you can" I'm a transplanted New Englander.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,714 Posts
If you (or anyone else for that matter) want a pristine, well taken care of and low mileage 999r, call Rick, Joe or Mike at Pro Italia.

Why buy a base when you can buy a R at today's depressed prices?

Best success,

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There is a pretty helpful thread on 999 "issues/problems", try the search. I posted to that some time ago. A lot of good info when looking at a used 999. In summaru, 2005+ deep sump engines are the best bet. Not to say the older versions are not good too, it's just hard to find fault with the 05+ engines, they are very solid and well sorted bikes, except for the weak clutch master which in turn leads to tons of "why does my bike stall of shift notchy".

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
BTW, the clutch master is an easy fix. Two bolts on the handle bar and one bolt on the hose, remove the brake lever and replace with the master with new brembo of other of your choice. Once that simple fix is made, and you check the coolant hoses which are subject to leaks, your good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts