Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there new to the forums sort of been a troll of sorts for the longest and finally got an account to post. Now I know I should be rushing in here with a pictures but I'm debating, I've found a sweet deal thats hard to pass up !

I found a 2006 Ducati S2R 1000 with 3k miles for $4500. I think thats a pretty good deal. Wanted to get some opinions on the bike.

I know that repair costs are high but I'm told the air cooled 2v engines are a bit more managable costs.

My last question is would you think this bike to much for someone who has ridden dirt for years and has some street experience. I know most of you will probably slap your forehead thinking this guy is an idiot but the s2r only dishes out around 85hp even though its a 1k . So I think its somthing a bit more tame then real liter bikes. I've looked at the bike in person and it seems close to new condition as you can get. Just wanted to see what everyone had to say.

The bike looks like this minus the aftermarket slip ons.

Thanks , Josh

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have the 696 and when my friends who have 600's ride it they are very impressed with the torque and how well it handles.
I'm sure the SR2 would be more powerful.
In an all out race, the 696 wouldn't stay with a 600, but in the 30-80 MPH zone where we spend most of our time, I think it's more fun.
There's no getting around the fact that upkeep is higher, but it's worth it.
They are Ducatis after all.

·
Registered
681 Posts
actually as far as HP is concerned the 696 and the s2r1000 are very similar.

85hp is still enough to get you in trouble but if you dont try to go out and haul ass around everywhere, you should be fine

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you'll be fine. Dirt biking experience counts for a lot more than most street riders give it credit for.

I raced motocross for 6 years before I got my first streetbike, an R6, when I was 17. I found the transition to be very natural.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nothing makes you a better street rider than riding dirtbikes. A few are going to argue with that, but it's the truth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dirt bike experience = invaluable. Every road rider should ride on the dirt for a while, and feel what it's like to lose the arse end or have the front go from under you and not panic. or so many other things that freak roadies out who have never been on the dirt.

Don't know too much about the S2R 1000 in particular, but we have two two valve Duc's, and the torque is where it is at with these bikes.

Not sure if you know this, but all the Duc's I have ridden have really high gearing as well, and not particularly close ratios either.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The 2V's are pretty reliable and the maintenance cost is lower than the 4V's.
Nice looking bike and it seems like a good price as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Go for it!!

My first bike was a m900sie and I don't regret it at all, definitely not to much bike as long as you have a decent head on your shoulders.

Your dirt bike experience will treat you well. I've been thinking of picking up a dirt bike to become a better street rider. There are somethings that you can learn on a dirt bike that you wouldn't dare trying on a street bike !

·
Registered
221 Posts
My buddy has in inline 4 jap bike... It's faster in the straight aways, but he cannot keep up with me in the twistys... My 696 really shines once I get her into the mountains and I can outrun much faster bikes because she can turn on a dime

·
Registered
346 Posts
The S2R1K is an outstanding bike, and the air-cooled 2v motors are anvil-like in their reliability and very simple to work on if you like to do your own stuff. The torquey nature of the power should make it very easy for you to ride, and dirt riding experience is always a plus. Go for it and welcome to the Monster family!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts