Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, I'm going to sell my 95 916. i commute 76 miles a day and my 35 year old back just can't to the super bike thing anymore.

SOOOOOOO

i went and sat on some Diavels today. I like! any tips on things i should look for when getting a used one? hows the maintenance requirements?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maint on new ones is easy - but I will say the X Diavel is not the best highway touring bike. Its a great quick hopper, and very stylish, but you need to hold on to that thing and fight some wind!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a Gen 1. 2012.
Had a few recalls. Nothing major. Get those checked off first.
80.000 Kms. Getting and average of 40 mpg Statute miles.
Love every minute of it.
Insurance in Ontario Canada. $2000 Cdn.
Not perfect with getting false neutrals.
Overall. 8/10.
For fun 10/10
Would I buy If I had a choice. Most certainly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good point. I have both a Diavel and a Multi. Both great bikes, same engine etc. But the Multi is by far the most practical (luggage, skyhook suspension, wind protection, riding position, etc). ...........unless you're coming off a 916 of-course, then frankly anything will seem easy for commuting!

To your question. Nothing really to remark on my Diavel. Owned since 2012. 10,000 miles. On 3rd set of tires. No failures. Slight negatives:
- Gen 1 have more choppy throttle response at low speeds - never bothered me, but then I've never ridden a Gen 2.
- Handlebar fluid reservoirs leak if over-filled. Leaves corrosion.
- Rear brake is not great and front can get a bit soft over time.

I'm looking for a 916. Can you provide details?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good point. For me, new tires every season. PIA.
Lots of folks complained about the rear brake. Whilst mine was still under warranty the Stealership bleed the brake. Never failed me since.
Regards the low end throttle jerkiness i installed a quick fix. 10 minute job. Cost $100.For the life of me I have forgotten what it is called.
I`m sure somebody here will chime in.

Found it. ..Shift Tech o2 Manipulator

·
Registered
129 Posts
Friend of mine has a Diavel with a recently expired warranty. One day after the ride home he put it on the kickstand to open the garage and the radiator started dumping fluid. He had sucked in a marble sized rock that got trapped between the cooling fan and radiator, which shredded metal. That was a $600 replacement. There should be a screen on the intake vent. I've never seen a pebble do that much damage to a bike.

The Diavel is the worst cornering bike I've ever ridden (never tried Harleys). If you like twisties, where you don't have to fight the bike, consider another machine. It's also brutal in bad weather and high winds. Have you tried a Super Duke? KTM, BMW, and Ducati have awesome demo programs. Ride before you buy and spend demo time at freeway speeds.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Friend of mine has a Diavel with a recently expired warranty. One day after the ride home he put it on the kickstand to open the garage and the radiator started dumping fluid. He had sucked in a marble sized rock that got trapped between the cooling fan and radiator, which shredded metal. That was a $600 replacement. There should be a screen on the intake vent. I've never seen a pebble do that much damage to a bike.

The Diavel is the worst cornering bike I've ever ridden (never tried Harleys). If you like twisties, where you don't have to fight the bike, consider another machine. It's also brutal in bad weather and high winds. Have you tried a Super Duke? KTM, BMW, and Ducati have awesome demo programs. Ride before you buy and spend demo time at freeway speeds.
How long after the Warranty run out?
I had a problem with false neutrals and it was 3 months after it ran out. Called the stealership whom talked to Ducati North and not a problem, fixed no cost.
Regards cornering, lots of fun. Flick it one way, then loves to flick the other way.
I come from sports bikes and TBH did not want Diavel. Such a fat ugly tank.
After I rode it, just Wow.
Was looking for a lower bike as had hip problems.
The Diavel fitted the picture. Gobs of speed, torque, gave me everything I wanted.
Have ridden in many a nasty T`Storm, High cross winds. I found it very stable, considering I am not wrestling it.
Test ride it first then form an opinion.
My 2cents worth.
You might not like, that`s OK.
OP. Each to their own.
Try also the other bikes mentioned here. Good choices.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Doctor friend said that, absent some injury, sore lower backs are usually due to losing muscle strength in that area. Moving to a less strenuous ride will accelerate the loss of lower back muscle strength that your 916 helps maintain. That and core muscle strength.

Buy a new bike if thats what blows your skirt up, but if its just muscles getting weak, ride the 916 more, and do some exercises that strengthen lower back and core. I'm several decades older than you and love my 1198 for the above reasons, as well as a few more..>:) BTW, I think the ergos for the cruisers with forward controls are stupid irrational, with rider hanging by their arms in the fight against the wind. Likely worse than your 916. Never rode a Drivel or Drivel-x, so dont know about them personally.

On a parallel track with you, I recently bought a BMW R1150rt for two-up and distance runs. A-B testing against my 1198, I worry the RT will destroy any muscle tone I have left, LoL

For blasts over the Bay Bridge into The City [SF] I MUCH prefer my 1198 for its razor's edge precision and control in dealing with the ridiculous cager action around me.

·
Registered
746 Posts
...my 35 year old back just can't to the super bike thing anymore....
A Diavel will only exacerbate your back issues. Every bump in the road will ride-up vertically through your spine.
I ride both a Panigale and a Monster. Believe it or not, the Panigale is very easy on the back as your legs absorb the road imperfections.
Now the neck, that's a different body part. BTW, I'm 59 and just love riding the superbike.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I just don't like the monkey humping football race bike riding position.
The sit up and beg position is much better.
I will pass on the dog treats though. :rolleyes:

·
Bon Vivant
10,279 Posts
I just don't like the monkey humping football race bike riding position.
The sit up and beg position is much better.
I will pass on the dog treats though. :rolleyes:
That position is like that because its the best weight distribution during a race, the best position for cornering control and for aerodynamics. It works on the track and if that is your goal it is optimum for that purpose, and you know, when you are riding flat-out on the track its pretty comfortable too. In my experience the sportbike race position is terrible on the street where you have to be able to turn your head and look around you, stop and go, and ride at real-world traffic speeds. But I'd ride a sport bike on the street before I'd ride any cruiser. I personally cannot stand to ride bolt upright, especially if my feet are not under me supporting my weight - it sends every jolt and bump right up my spine and it hurts like hell - there's no way I could ever ride a bike like the Diavel or any other forward foot controled cruiser that makes me sit on my ass and steer. - might as well be in a car. Relegated to your ass you cannot use you leg strength to absorb bumps, to hold yourself in position while accelerating, or help weight the bike or position your body while cornering. now you're just hanging by your arms... Like bbradsby says - "stupid irrational"

I guess I like sporty ergos that give a good balance between a racing tuck and a standard bike with pegs under myself so I can use my legs while riding. I need my position to be comfy, practical, and capable.

·
Registered
208 Posts
OP.
Many different opinions here. Good. Luckily that we are all built differently. Yes, it will make a difference to your level of comfort.
If you are 300lbs + or 100 lbs your ride on any bike will be different.
Compare the different options then definitely go do a demo ride and see for your self.

Will also vary as to the way you ride.
Do you race? Poodle around on weekends? Like to go crazy? Transportation?
Maybe it is not for you. Form your own opinion and I for one would like to know your choice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Y'all talking about the xDiavel. Big difference in riding position between that and the Diavel (that the OP is referring to). Diavel has mid controls and slightly forward seating position.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I'd suggest riding the options and see which agrees with your back. Lot of older folks ride cruisers (including my 80 year old father) and they don't seem to have back issues so maybe they're not as bad is you'd think. I have a multi and it definitely has a great neutral riding posture - I've put in 18 hour/900 mile days without needing a chiropractor afterward... but it's a LOT different bike than the Diavel and may not appeal to folks who like the Diavel.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts