Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a ride on a Superbike (999) and could not believe the difference in handling between my ST4s and the 999. I know they are meant for 2 diferent purposes, but I don't do 800 miles days (mostly 100-300) and I don't do 2 up riding. I just get on my bike and run for a few hours.

I need some thoughts both for and against about keeping or selling this bike.

If I was to sell it, what should I ask?

Specs as follows:
2005 ST4s
4300 miles
Black (the fast color!)
Dealer installed Ducati Performance Kit with Termi Carbon cans, ECU, and Airbox (REALLY woke the bike up and ohhh that sound!)
BRAND new Pilot Power in the rear
Front Pilot Power has about 2K miles left on it
Cycle Cat Adjustable risers (work very nice)
Bike is super clean as I am extremely anal about my bikes.

Well, that's about it. So I put it out to you fine folks about what to do. And no, I can't afford both!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just a random thought, you might have a hard time getting a good price relative to what you have in this bike. It's hard to recoup the cost of upgrades but you might consider taking off the cans & bar risers and selling them seperate, then work out a trade-in with the dealer on a new 999.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I see you installed Cycle Cat adjustable risers on your ST4S. Do you have the bars adjusted even higher than the stock will go? I find that after setting up the suspension of the ST4S properly (an absolute must) and moving the bars to their lowest position the ST4S while not a 999 handles very well. There have been magazine writeups comparing high end sport-touring bikes and sport bikes that found very little difference for street riding.
That said, if I am going for a day ride and I don't have to carry a lot of stuff with me I will always, and I mean always choose the 999. It 'captures' me in a way the ST4S never can. I find the difference in power to be the biggest difference. The 996 engine (I also have the DP exhaust kit) in the heavier bike is worlds different from the testrastretta engine. I love the throttle response of the 999. Just think acceleration and off you go!

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Do you do a lot of multi day trips? Packing enough for more than one day on the road might be a little difficult on a superbike, especially if it is a monoposto. It will also be rough touring on a superbike if you live in a climate like the PNW where you can encounter three seasons worth of weather on one road trip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RobertVP said:
I see you installed Cycle Cat adjustable risers on your ST4S. Do you have the bars adjusted even higher than the stock will go?
They were up a little but I have now put them down as far as the will go which is about an inch higher than stock. I mainly like the adjustable angle that the Cycle Cats give.

PSsssp said:
hmmmmmmmmmmm, a black ST4s, where are you located?
I am in New York and after taking the bike out again today, I am even more convinced I need something "just a little more". Don't get me wrong, the bike handles great, rides smooth, and will kill miles upon miles with no problem. I just don't know if it is a keeper for me.

Bill_Anderson said:
Do you do a lot of multi day trips?
Nope, just go out for several hours at a time. I really don't have time to go anywhere for a day or more.

Soooooo, anyone interested in a super clean, last year produced ST4s?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts