Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I put a couple hundred miles on the Hyper, and today maybe a little less on my old Supersport. The Supersport isn't quite as fast (close though) and is more comfortable at speed, has much better wind protection, and gets at least 60 more miles out of a tank. I love the way the Hyper looks and handles, but I'm thinking a Multistrada would make more sense since I don't really have a bike I could take a real trip on, and I'd like to do a ride from Houston to Big Bend park in west Texas, probably a couple thousand miles total. It's not a money thing, and I'd keep it but I just don't have room for five bikes and I've got my hands full keeping up with tags, inspections, service, tires and insurance on the four I've got now.

I guess the Hyper is just too focused, and frankly it can't really do anything I can't do on my 1098 (except 175mph!) and the 1098 is far more comfortable on the freeway.

Anybody else here dump the Hyper for a Multi? Anyone regret it? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Horses for courses, mate!

I had a single minded approach to what I was looking for when I went looking for a new bike - 'round town hooligan', and the Hyper topped the pile.

I've subsequently tried a few longer trips and find it can do it but I have others that are more suited.

Get what YOU need. A Multi is one hell of a bike and it can still be punted around town with ease at a good rate of knots.

·
Premium Member
12,321 Posts
Nuttin the matter with change all good reasons too. How long have you had the Hyper?Kind of like to hear because I had my first thought of maybe getting something a little more two up friendlier. Wifeys ass was getting a little too warm for her liking...She will have to show a whole lot more enthusiam for me to trade tho...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same problem here before I bought the bigger tank.
Up to 140km/h on the highway is no problem for me.

Just waiting for the new "Multistrada", if that suits me, I will think it over.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've thought about the big tank, but I still have a luggage/pillion issue, and I fear that after dumping more money in I'll still end up unloading it. I guess maybe the "over the wheel" position has lost a bit of the novelty. I've put 5k on the bike, and that's splitting riding amongst four machines, so it's not like I haven't given it a fair shake.

I think I'll probably end up waiting for the new Multi. One of the guys I rode with yesterday had a pearl white Streetfighter and I loved the color. I've just got it bad for a pearl white Multi S, but I think the new one will end up being a killer.

If I did sell it, what is a realistic price? $9k? It's got a ton of stuff on it and I'm sure I'd take some of it off, but it's an '08 w/ Termi slip-on kit and lots of carbon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I threw my Hyper on CL and have yet to even get a call, but I am not being aggressive about selling it. The only reason I am even considering it is to save the 1.5 years worth of payments I still have to go. If I sold it, I would probably pick up a used Triumph Bonneville or Ducati Sport. Anyways, I have regretted every bike I have sold I have regretted in one way or another, so maybe I will just be happy with what I have and quit wasting time and money searching for the Holy Grail in motorcycles.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Anybody else here dump the Hyper for a Multi? Anyone regret it? Thoughts?
Well, kind of.

First, i will agree with the others who state you have to choose the ride that suits you and your riding needs best, while remembering that our comments are just personal opinions and biased to a certain degree. I, like you, had a handful of Ducati's in my garage at one time this year and it can become overwhelming at times, so I understand where you're coming from. Given the state of affairs with the economic backdrop, layoffs, etc., I decided to become a bit more frugal and for me it started with reducing the number of motorcycles in my garage. My riding consists of mostly all canyon roads (the famed Angeles Crest Highway, 130 mile round trips) with the occasional distance ride. The Multistrada has been in my possession the longest of all of the bikes i've recently owned, I enjoyed riding the Hyper the most. After having sold a couple of bikes I decided to purchase a Monster as I felt it would make me a much better rider given the confidence it inspired in me. Hec, I've got some friends on this board who are Hyper owners, accomplished riders, and who said the Monster was just as good if not better for canyon riding. Having said that, the most logical decision for me was to sell the Hyper in its place as it no longer filled a need. I had the Multi for spirited and comfortable riding, whether a long or short distance, and the Monster to fill my sport bike wants. So ya, you might say that I sold the Hyper for a Multi, but that's not to say I didn't love the Motard, it's a fantastic motorcycle, i just didn't find the justification to keep all three 1100's.

Take care and best success with your decision. :)

ps: i just sold my Hyper 1100 S about a week ago, and as advertised in the classified section. all i can say is that if the price "isn't right" you won't have much luck selling it. remember, these are not normal times, so you can forget about what you think might be the right price, the market will dictate what is.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got the big tank, sargeant seat and fabri windscreen and my hyper is almost a sport tourer. Guess it depends on the riding you do. I did 1000miles in 2 days through the mountains of GA, TN, NC and SC and it was the best ride ever. Can't think of a bike that would be as confortable covering that distance as I have it set up and then carving through Deal's Gap more easily and faster than most sport bikes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Timely discussion for me as I am trying to find a good trade for my Paul Smart. I need something with more leg room and am thinking either Multi or Hyper. I guess I need to spend a bit of time on each to decide although the small tank on the Hyper is a pan.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sell it, I can sense your not to sure about keeping it. Just do it already :D somewhere out there's someone without a Hyper to love :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am thinking of selling mine as well, but I'd hate to take a huge hit after owning it for just 4 months. I got a leftover 08', and I'd guess I would take a 3k hit for riding it for just 1k miles. That hurts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I would first say make room, motorcycles are like shoes for women "you need one for every occasion and you can't have too many".

That said, you do need a utilitarian motorcycle. I love the multi, but for that purpose I think the BMW GS is a better option. I have done Big Bend many times one mine.

But if I am going less than few hundred miles, I much prefer my Hyper over anything. It just fits my riding style more than the super sports.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am thinking of selling mine as well, but I'd hate to take a huge hit after owning it for just 4 months. I got a leftover 08', and I'd guess I would take a 3k hit for riding it for just 1k miles. That hurts.
Why would you be selling it?!?!?!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why would you be selling it?!?!?!
Lost my riding buddy, and am thinking about buying another track car and getting out of bikes all together for a while. I love the bike, but would probably rather have $9k than the bike at this point.

BTW, I have had 5 bikes and over 20 cars in the last 9 years. I think I may have a problem :confused:

·
Registered
403 Posts
yeah, you might have a problem. Why don't you just sell everything and buy a Chevy Malibu and put the rest of your money in a CD! Oiy Vay! And get buried in a pine box. Live, Love, Laugh, and ride fast motorcyles! All the best to you on a "tough" decision.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You may have a problem???
Start by admiting and it would be the first step to recovery.
" Hi everybody, my name is racer01 and I am a petrol head "
You know what... don't waste your time, there no recovery from a this...
We are all doomed!!

·
Premium Member
12,321 Posts
You are making the mistake of trying to rationalize things , you got togo a little crazy to keep from going insane...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm finding, with four bikes, that I'm just not riding the Hyper much. I'm really not doing any real street riding either. I bought an 08 R6 so i've been going to the track and that is probably where I'll do most of my riding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts