Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first off, I work off of commission. I have some cash coming in for mid-November and I decided that I need a second bike in the stable, a 1098! I currently ride a SV650 and decided to treat myself to some Italian machinery.

I have a friend in Florida that will be selling a 1098s to me in November. I live in Boston and would like to ride it up from Fort Lauderdale. I'll be taking plenty of time off to have the time to drive the Duc up.

Questions: I've never ridden in the winter before. Especially on a superbike. Am I crazy? If I get proper riding gear for the winter, as well as a tank, tail, and maybe even saddlebags... will I be ok?

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
November isn’t exactly winter, gets cold as you know, but I doubt you'll be tucking in behind a snow plow for the last leg into Boston.

I lived and was a daily commuter for years in the Virginia Beach, VA area. November was some of the best riding of the year down there. Point is you'll have perfect riding weather (depending on storms and such) for more than half the trip. That will probably start to change to the almost-too-cold-for-most-riders zone somewhere around upper Maryland or Delaware. Maybe even into New Jersey. You'll just have to keep a close eye on the weather before and during the trip. Only you know what you can tolerate the bike will be fine.

I commuted on a air cooled 900SSie and also on my current ST4s while in VA. 100 miles round trip a day. When it would get into the low 40s, I blocked the oil cooler off with some aluminum foil to allow the engine to get up to temp on the 900SS. On the ST4s I did the same for the oil cooler, but didn't do anything to the water radiator. Both were fine into the 20s, but that was my limit!

Buy an Aerostich, or one of the many clones. Carry some of those hand-warmer packs for your boots and gloves. STAY DRY.

·
Castle Anthrax
203 Posts
Gerbers heated clothing and gloves.

HUGE difference. HUGE.

Makes the difference between being really cold and miserable (ever tried to stick one then the other hand into the engine area to thaw them?) and being WARM.

The bike cost how much? and you could have something BAD happen to you and the bike if you are half frozen and not thinking too clearly.

I can ride down to mid 20's on one of our fully faired sport bikes and actually enjoy it.

Just a suggestion. (and the previously mentioned Aerostich suit or one of their alternatives is a great thought too)

BTW, I live in northern N.H. and try to push the season as long as possible at both ends.

Good luck.
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts