Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had an early MTS1200 and loved it. Amazing in every way except for being crazy tall. I'm 5'11 and have long legs, so it was crazy tall.

Moved to a non-bike friendly area, sold it, and when I moved back to California, bought a BMW HP4 as a dream bike. It is a boring sportbike and I miss my MTS.

So I was looking at the new 2018. Figuring I could either sell or trade my HP4 and pick one up. Was talking to a guy over at the mechanics, and he felt the newer gen MTS isn't quite as reliable as the older one (and he owns Ducatis, so this isn't bias).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Was talking to a guy over at the mechanics, and he felt the newer gen MTS isn't quite as reliable as the older one (and he owns Ducatis, so this isn't bias).
1. Everyone is biased. We are all the sum of our experiences.
2. Every bike has issues.

The major issues (hopefully) get worked out within a year or so of when the bike is released to market.

Every year there's more (and more complicated) electronic systems, 100% of which must report to the ECU that they are working perfectly in order for the bike to even start. There's bound to be growing pains.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
So I was looking at the new 2018. Figuring I could either sell or trade my HP4 and pick one up. Was talking to a guy over at the mechanics, and he felt the newer gen MTS isn't quite as reliable as the older one (and he owns Ducatis, so this isn't bias).
There are a bunch of little annoying things that the new gen DVT bikes have fought through... but I'd hope the 18's wouldn't have the vast majority of them.

As far as "big item" reliability... I'm not hearing people complaining about their 15's blowing up... and there are a lot of them with miles (I'm at 40k miles and can't imagine I'm near the top of the mileage list).

In fact... the DVT bikes never had a "expanding gas tank" level issue, or a "corrosive coolant" issue... and we missed the vast majority of the "failing fuel sensor" issue.

I think we have a tendency to forget what issues older models have once they've been sorted out and the bikes have been reliable for a few years.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Do it.

Really the HP4 was boring?

Good to know.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I read on the Internet that no less than 147 new owners have been castrated by exploding vertical cylinder heads on the 1260 Multistradas, but otherwise they've been fairly reliable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Interesting thread. I've been told the HP4 is one of the most amazing sport bikes ever made. So when I hear about an HP4 owner wanting to trade it in on a Multistrada, makes me feel pretty good about my 1200 S.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Interesting thread. I've been told the HP4 is one of the most amazing sport bikes ever made. So when I hear about an HP4 owner wanting to trade it in on a Multistrada, makes me feel pretty good about my 1200 S.
I'm sure it's epic on the track... but if you're not a street rossi these extreme bikes can't really be exercised effectively on the street. Honestly I think the Multi can barely be stretched on the street unless you're willing to really hang it out.

I'd love to ride one anyway.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ive ridden the BMW 1000RR, and both my mates 1299S, i couldn't wait to get off them and back on to my Multi or GT, full sports bikes are for sadists massacists and contortionists. I'm neither.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a very nice Japanese sport bike made by Germans. Carbon fiber bling through the roof. The Gilles-made rearsets and levers have the nicest finishing I have ever seen on items like that. The bike works and is no fuss for the most part.

But I miss the Ducati's looks. I miss its rumble and ride.

That being said, I keep wondering if they will bring over a V4

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hell Ya!

I agree, i ride freinds sport bikes often, and i do feel bored on them.

Theyre fast, smooth and uncomfortable.

Nothing like the Rumble and comfort of the MTS!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
It is a very nice Japanese bike made by Germans. The bike works and is no fuss for the most part. But I miss the Ducati's looks. I miss its rumble and ride.
With a couple of edits to your wording, this is how I fear I would feel if I went the S1000XR route. I know that bike is awesome in so many respects, but it just seems to lack character.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,823 Posts
The only complaints I’ve heard from 2 people I know that have test ridden the 2018s is they don’t like the handling but that’s pretty subjective.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Damascus-You would be correct. I had a '12 Multi, sold for new S1000XR.Ttook it on a 4000 mile trip in Mexico with 2 buddies on new GS1200's. We were always over 90mph, I quickly fatigued from the engine screaming, lack of suspension travel, fuel range, and other things. At one point I was nearly in tears from pavement abutments ramming my spine. It's a great bike, and pretty fast. In the real world mile after mile those GS's were unbeatable. As practical as they are, I still resist them and I don't know why. Partly heft, looks, and a "low tech" feel to me. The Multi has its shortcomings, but bridges gap perfectly imo. Currently riding a '17 Multi. On a weekend trip, the XR is a blast.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For the OP, where you referring to the bike as being tall or yourself. At 5'11" you aren't short but not what I would call tall either. As for the MTS, I feel the same way. I am 5'9" myself and like that I am completely flat footed on the MTS compared to a BMW 1200GS which is about half an inch taller. There is literally a half inch gap between my heels and the ground on a GS but not so with the Multi. I really like that about the MTS thought still undecided myself on buying one.

Go sit on an Africa Twin, KTM ADV bike or BMW R1200GSA and the MTS will feel perfect.

NC

·
Registered
621 Posts
Depends what you mean by reliability. Any modern Ducati is a mechanically reliable motorcycle, excepting the freak defects that every manufacturer has. They're as good as any other bike, if not leaving you stranded is the metric.

If reliability means a bike free of all defect, though, Ducati still has work to do. Keyfobs, fuel level sensors, rear brakes, for whatever reason Ducati either can't or won't fix less-critical issues in a permanent, timely fashion. The 2018 Multi finally got a new keyfob, and so far, it's 100% reliable, much better than the old one. Fuel sensor is still the old part, though; time will tell if the latest revision fixed what the first six failed to. Rear brake is still weak right out of the gate. All of these problems, Ducati has known about for at least five years. But, none of them will have you sitting on the side of the road, either.

FWIW, I knew about all of this when I bought my 2018, have experienced the joys of a dodgy keyfob with its delightful 'gas station exclusion zone', replaced a fuel level sensor three times, and rear brakes are for cruisers, right? End of the day, if a Multistrada is what you want, there is nothing else quite like it.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Damascus-You would be correct. I had a '12 Multi, sold for new S1000XR.Ttook it on a 4000 mile trip in Mexico with 2 buddies on new GS1200's. We were always over 90mph, I quickly fatigued from the engine screaming, lack of suspension travel, fuel range, and other things. At one point I was nearly in tears from pavement abutments ramming my spine. It's a great bike, and pretty fast. In the real world mile after mile those GS's were unbeatable. As practical as they are, I still resist them and I don't know why. Partly heft, looks, and a "low tech" feel to me. The Multi has its shortcomings, but bridges gap perfectly imo. Currently riding a '17 Multi. On a weekend trip, the XR is a blast.
This was my conclusion regarding the XR... fantastic weekend warrior but not as capable for touring. My thinking was "If I wanted a WW I'd be on a Tuono"... so I was a bit at a loss as to where the XR differentiated itself.

Reactions: suruppak

·
Registered
187 Posts
This was my conclusion regarding the XR... fantastic weekend warrior but not as capable for touring. My thinking was "If I wanted a WW I'd be on a Tuono"... so I was a bit at a loss as to where the XR differentiated itself.
Funny part is about the engine screaming, it's probably similar rpm on the Multi ~6500(especially with 1T smaller c/s sprocket) but the perception when riding XR all day at 90+ is like you're killing it. Both my 800GS and XR always had odd gearing to me, 1st is really tall, and the rest are very close ratio, which leaves you begging for a 7th or even 8th LOL. Makes the quickshifter sweet though. The Duc feels like you're loafing along, and the twin allows wide ratios. I'm glad I sold XR, especially since timing chain stretched so much that by 15K I had to use an updated tensioner. Dealer said chain and cam sprockets soon. Suddenly timing belts didn't seem like such a bad thing after all! Good time to get back on a Multi! Now if they would just come out with a comfortable seat again, and maybe add 1" travel without going to the full enduro model. I'd really like to see a rear height sensor added too, so preload would automatically go to proper ride height. Would only take a sensor and software revision.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
FWIW, I knew about all of this when I bought my 2018, have experienced the joys of a dodgy keyfob with its delightful 'gas station exclusion zone', replaced a fuel level sensor three times, and rear brakes are for cruisers, right? End of the day, if a Multistrada is what you want, there is nothing else quite like it.
Well said. This pretty much sums up my love/hate relationship with my Duc. Nothing quite like the damn thing even when it has ticked me off time and again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The only complaints I’ve heard from 2 people I know that have test ridden the 2018s is they don’t like the handling but that’s pretty subjective.
They do have an extended wheelbase I believe for "stability" so they are going to be a little bit different (slower) in turns, though how much may not be noticeable to most people

1 - 20 of 22 Posts