Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had many type Ducati’s. Monsters, Panigale, others. I love em! I currently have the 2017 Multistrada S and 2012 Streetfighter 848. Thinking of trading in the SF for a new 939 SP.

Are they any major recalls or cronic problems generally with this particular Teste motor, electronics, transmission, etc? I have yet to own any Ducati and not have to get over the “preverbal hill” reliability wise. The many claims were all on warranty but a nuisance none the less.

Many of the UTube videos say it has a real hard neutral click in? Is it really that bad especially after break in?

This bike really excites me. I had a Kawisaki KLX 400 a number of years back and that bike was pure bliss in the city. The grunt, handling, lightness of the SP gets me pumped to make the move.

If I do it, likely wouldn’t get the stocker. I would want the SP plus add the Termi tax (love the hiked up pipe look).

Here in Canada all this crap is pricier. The local (whom have been great for sales and service lately) Ducati dealership would give me a respectable $8200 on a yellow SF (16,000kms on the ticker and as immaculate as one can get) on trade. The SP with Termi tax in would be $13,500 out the door after trade.

Pricey but the thing sounds like a perfect second bike for me.

Any and all advice, experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated Hypermotard gang.:smile2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Will they let you flash it with a better map up north? The bike has been generally solid for me (I've got 5500k on it now). Neutral is hit or miss. Sometimes I can find it easy, sometimes it's a pain in the ass but I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me. The only issues I have run into so far are the front brake getting mushy on me (presumably air in the system) and the engine throwing a code and dropping into limp mode (started back up and ran fine, the CEL cleared the next day). It's going into the dealer to look into both those issues but otherwise was solid for a 3400 mile road trip to and from Colorado earlier this month.

The stock fueling sucks (or maybe whatever sensor caused the CEL and limp mode is the root cause) and it hesitates backfires and stumbles under moderate throttle and often feels like it gets stuck at 4k. The moment you ride it like a hooligan however, no issues it sucks down fuel and rips around nicely. I will have the dealer look at that as well as I was hoping it would settle out after some miles, it's really only noticeable under mild acceleration or maintenance throttle around town so it's annoying but not a show stopper. If it's not a sensor, I suspect flashing a better (read not Euro4) map would fix it right up.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will they let you flash it with a better map up north? The bike has been generally solid for me (I've got 5500k on it now). Neutral is hit or miss. Sometimes I can find it easy, sometimes it's a pain in the ass but I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me. The only issues I have run into so far are the front brake getting mushy on me (presumably air in the system) and the engine throwing a code and dropping into limp mode (started back up and ran fine, the CEL cleared the next day). It's going into the dealer to look into both those issues but otherwise was solid for a 3400 mile road trip to and from Colorado earlier this month.

The stock fueling sucks (or maybe whatever sensor caused the CEL and limp mode is the root cause) and it hesitates backfires and stumbles under moderate throttle and often feels like it gets stuck at 4k. The moment you ride it like a hooligan however, no issues it sucks down fuel and rips around nicely. I will have the dealer look at that as well as I was hoping it would settle out after some miles, it's really only noticeable under mild acceleration or maintenance throttle around town so it's annoying but not a show stopper. If it's not a sensor, I suspect flashing a better (read not Euro4) map would fix it right up.
Interesting.

Sounds like a Ducati to me lol especially regarding the false Neutral and Low speed fueling issues. Christ my old Pani was the worst for low speed fueling.

So not a great bike for in around town? That is mainly what I would be using it for with some back country roads as well.

No, there are no reflashing ECU issues up here that I am aware of. I have never had a problem doing stuff on other bikes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So not a great bike for in around town? That is mainly what I would be using it for with some back country roads as well.
It's an awesome around town, commuting to work, ripping canyons, and taking it to the track machine. Puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I never leave her home when it's track day. Super comfy commuter or very capable track weapon. She doesn't care which.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's an awesome around town, commuting to work, ripping canyons, and taking it to the track machine. Puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. I never leave her home when it's track day. Super comfy commuter or very capable track weapon. She doesn't care which.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I am on an 821 SP with Termi and bags but my overall experience is identical. I think your instincts are spot on.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13 Posts

I have just under 1k on the odo And this os my first Duc. I thought i may have made a bad mistake. Before the full Termi race exhaust and reflash I really struggled with the fueling. Especially mid-corner throttle application. After exhaust kit, this thing is amazing. I completely agreewith with Retarded Timing. The real question is why didnt the thing come running this way?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have just under 1k on the odo And this os my first Duc. I thought i may have made a bad mistake. Before the full Termi race exhaust and reflash I really struggled with the fueling. Especially mid-corner throttle application. After exhaust kit, this thing is amazing. I completely agreewith with Retarded Timing. The real question is why didnt the thing come running this way?
Eueo3/4, EPA and CARB no doubt.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I was gonna get the full Termi with re map anyways. So this smooths the rough slower cruising or nursing of the throttle?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's fun around town, the main issue is ti begs to be ridden in ways that will get me in lots of trouble around town :-D but if I try to ride it nicely, well, the shit fueling doesn't make that any fun so instead I just rip around high in the RPMS in 1st and 2nd. As far as I'm concerned it does it all. I just put 3400 miles on it over 4 days earlier this month on a road trip so it even covers that. I haven't taken it to the track yet but that's only because I don't want to deal with the expense if I crash it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok I was gonna get the full Termi with re map anyways. So this smooths the rough slower cruising or nursing of the throttle?
I don't think it's that bad really. Mine is all stock engine wise. I never stall it. Maybe a little stutter but nothing you can't work around. Just false neutral more than anything. You can't be nice about shifting. She likes to be force fed gears. I added quick shift and adjusted the shift lever down which seems to help when I'm on the gas. But I'm comparing it to my Panigale which is not fun to ride around town in traffic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From what I have heard that will cure all your ills. As noted it's not terrible, it just stumbles, hesitates and sometimes (enjoyably if you ask me) backfires if you're riding with mild throttle. As soon as you ride it like a Ducati is meant to be ridden it behaves as you'd expect. The only time I find it problematic is when lane splitting, but I've just gotten used to it being a bucking bronco in those cases.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I have heard that will cure all your ills. As noted it's not terrible, it just stumbles, hesitates and sometimes (enjoyably if you ask me) backfires if you're riding with mild throttle. As soon as you ride it like a Ducati is meant to be ridden it behaves as you'd expect. The only time I find it problematic is when lane splitting, but I've just gotten used to it being a bucking bronco in those cases.

Well lane splitting isn’t even legal in these parts so no concern there.
Likely just like my 848 SF. It hates low RPMs as well. The false neutral thing, well, I think all Ducati s do that! Sounds manageable.
Man even my old Panigale was a chore to dance around in town but please this bike cannot be be that bad.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Its totally manageable around town and at sane speeds. The stumpling and hesitation is merely annoying (at least for me) in those circumstances. Its when i had the bike at the edge of traction leaned over that it presented challenges i struggled with. Partially my fault for not being in the right gear (needing to learn the bike better) but i do feel for a bike that costs this much it should be better sorted out from the factory. Exhaust alleviates the problem in entirety. Now the right rear turn signal is getting too hot so its time to clean up the rear with a new license plate/turn signals mount.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sell your SF on Kijiji, the yellow is nice and rare. might be able to get $10k for it. out in Alberta, the 939SP is order in only, and we just lost our dealer a week ago. GPBikes in Ontario has a brand new 2017 939sp for a discounted price, maybe check with them.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The hesitation and lumpyness at slow speeds is down to the exhaust flapper valve. Get a servo eliminator and het presto the stutter is pretty much gone. Makes mid corner, neutral throttle alot more consistent as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sell your SF on Kijiji, the yellow is nice and rare. might be able to get $10k for it. out in Alberta, the 939SP is order in only, and we just lost our dealer a week ago. GPBikes in Ontario has a brand new 2017 939sp for a discounted price, maybe check with them.?

Ya might try selling the SF on kijiji it has been babied since day 1. I asked for a quote on that SP you spoke of at GPBikes. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey I just noticed your in Winnipeg, I just sold my Hyper 939 last week, since your set on an SP I suppose it wouldn't have helped you. I can assure you that if your looking at riding a hypermotard here your not going to have any issues I put 15K miles on my standard here and thousands of km in each direction. If it helps I had wildwood do a dealer trade on mine a few years ago it cost me around $300 in shipping since it was in the crate already. That being said they are horrible for customer service so you will have to do all the leg work (ask me how I know). Wildwood does have a greats shop so don't worry about buying a bike elsewhere. I was just in saskatoon at FFUN Motor Sports (great dealer experience) and they had a 821 SP brand new left over they were selling for around 12,500. I looked at it personally and it was in great shape. Also I have some various HYM parts and accessories for sale including an exhaust (not a termi) I am letting go for cheap. Let me know if you have any more Hyper in Winnipeg questions I would love to help you its an amazing bike wish I could have kept it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey I just noticed your in Winnipeg, I just sold my Hyper 939 last week, since your set on an SP I suppose it wouldn't have helped you. I can assure you that if your looking at riding a hypermotard here your not going to have any issues I put 15K miles on my standard here and thousands of km in each direction. If it helps I had wildwood do a dealer trade on mine a few years ago it cost me around $300 in shipping since it was in the crate already. That being said they are horrible for customer service so you will have to do all the leg work (ask me how I know). Wildwood does have a greats shop so don't worry about buying a bike elsewhere. I was just in saskatoon at FFUN Motor Sports (great dealer experience) and they had a 821 SP brand new left over they were selling for around 12,500. I looked at it personally and it was in great shape. Also I have some various HYM parts and accessories for sale including an exhaust (not a termi) I am letting go for cheap. Let me know if you have any more Hyper in Winnipeg questions I would love to help you its an amazing bike wish I could have kept it.

Crap you are in Winnipeg and you had a 939 for sale? What did you sell it for? I might have gone for it even know I have not sold my SF yet.

As for Wildwood I have got about 8 bikes from them and they changed ownership spring of 2017 and the service is much improved. I have had great experience all around since I got a 1200 Multi in spring 2017.

How was it a pain though to get a crate deal trucked over form another Ducati dealership?

They said they would give me $8500 for the SF so after trade and a new SP with full Termi it came in around $11,500 out the door. Not bad I guess.

Why did you get rid of your Hyper? Any complaints other usual Ducati jargon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Crap you are in Winnipeg and you had a 939 for sale? What did you sell it for? I might have gone for it even know I have not sold my SF yet.

I ended up trading it in out of town, I had it on kijiji for 9k would have let it go for 8-8500 without parts, with a Remus and a bunch of other accessories worth a few K.

As for Wildwood I have got about 8 bikes from them and they changed ownership spring of 2017 and the service is much improved. I have had great experience all around since I got a 1200 Multi in spring 2017.

I should make sure I clarify I really don't have any issue with them personally I think my issue is more with Winnipeg and taking it out on them, I wish they just had more inventory and were more willing to trade and find bikes for me.

How was it a pain though to get a crate deal trucked over form another Ducati dealership?

I was just looking for a different experience but I can not say anything bad in a public forum they are still very good to me I will buy another bike from them one day

I went in and

They said they would give me $8500 for the SF so after trade and a new SP with full Termi it came in around $11,500 out the door. Not bad I guess.

$11,500 minus the $8,500 on trade?

Why did you get rid of your Hyper? Any complaints other usual Ducati jargon.

No complaints really, I didn't like the suspension but everything else was great. I just moved on in motorcycling I am travelling much farther now and most of the time with a passenger so I needed a better bike to fit those needs.[/quote]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts