Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Suzuki GS500. I've always wanted a Monster and I might be able to trade up with a newer rider who has one and thinks it's too much power (he wants a 600cc because he thinks it'll be gentler).

One thing I'm wondering about is that I've been told that the engine in these is 1970s technology, and to keep in mind that I'll be looking at exponentially higher maintenance costs. It was from a person who knows bikes quite well, and it was not a malicioud thing. It was one of those "I'm not saying it's not a nice bike. It's a very nice bike. Just keep in mind..." statements.

Can anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Uhhh. The ds1000 motor on the s2r is relatively simple. It's air cooled, uses cams instead of valve springs, and it's timing kept in check by belts, which is more precise than a chain, resulting in more power. Simple yes, 70's no. The motor is what will require more maintenance, not the bike. Because checking valves and replacing belts freak many out, hence the stigma that ducati's are a maintenance nightmare.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
62 Posts
About maintenance cost:

I had the valves adjusted and belts replaced at an indy shop for $250, plus $100 for two timing belts from california cycleworks. $350 in total isn't that bad imho.

Local dealer charges $450 for valve adjustment, not too bad either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The concern I have is the newer rider in the original post who thinks that a 600cc (presumably i4) is going to be less powerful or gentler to ride than the S2R 1000.

As for the maintenance costs, they may be a little higher, but it's not a big difference. Most people who talk about the "high cost of maintaining a Ducati" don't own one. They're just trying to justify their "run of the mill" other bike purchase.

P.S. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not a Ducati purist. There are plenty of "run of the mill" bikes that I like.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the engine in these is 1970s technology, and to keep in mind that I'll be looking at exponentially higher maintenance costs. It was from a person who knows bikes quite well, and it was not a malicious thing. It was one of those "I'm not saying it's not a nice bike. It's a very nice bike. Just keep in mind..." statements.

While it may not use the most current engine, it's still enough to zip around quite nicely! I have an S2R (for a couple days now, still pretty new to the bike) and its a really nice ride. I don't personally care too much about how the engine produces its power, the fact that it says Ducati on the side is enough for me, even if it was still using the Pantah engine! lol. Don't let what someone else says keep you from getting the bike if you really want it! In the end, its you riding the bike, not someone else! And yeah, labor and maintenance fees are going to be higher than a UJM, but its worth it :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm thinking of upgrading from my Suzuki GS500. I've always wanted a Monster and I might be able to trade up with a newer rider who has one and thinks it's too much power (he wants a 600cc because he thinks it'll be gentler).

One thing I'm wondering about is that I've been told that the engine in these is 1970s technology, and to keep in mind that I'll be looking at exponentially higher maintenance costs. It was from a person who knows bikes quite well, and it was not a malicioud thing. It was one of those "I'm not saying it's not a nice bike. It's a very nice bike. Just keep in mind..." statements.

Any of the new 600 cbr, gsxr, r6 or zx6 will blow the doors of a sr800monster in a straight line. The beauty of the ducati air cooled motors is the fat torque
Curve and beautiful exhaust note. The motors are very fun on the street. Unless u like banging gears, always trying to keep the motor between 12000 and 14000 rpm cause thats the only place it makes power(granted a lot of it), 600 supersport bikes suck to ride IMO...not to mention, all those plastic covered bikes look the same, a monster is unique and much cooler than a
'crotchrocket'... I just dont like the way inline 4s make their power, gimme a offset (v/L)twin or a thumper!!!!! The other comments were just sarcasm about young twentysumthins and their cookie cutter bikes... Purely humor, not serious. My first bike was a honda hawk650 gt and i admit, i put rc30/rvf750 fairings on it to make it look 'cool'...but thats when i was twentysumthin too:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I went from a GS500 to a Monster 800, and don't regret it.

You'll notice the suspension isn't complete garbage and the significant increase in power.

Go for it.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Get the S2R. End of debate, discussion, blah blah blah. They kick ass...period. Just do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts