Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello follow bikers,

I recently sold my 07 GSXR 600 which I quickly grew out of after a year and now I looking for something different. Something has at least a liter. I recently looked into the 07-08 GSXR1000, 09-10 R1, and the 09-10 Ducati 1198. I never rode or owned a Italy motorcycle so I wanted to ask how reliable are these machines? I own a BMW M3, so I already know how expensive these toy can be. I'm just curious are there any particular or common problems I should be aware of? Clutch plate noise, suspension failure, valves adjustments?

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I hear ya bro, anything less than a liter and you're too slow! basically, if u powned 'nother italy bike like the M3 you're set with this toy 2. clutch plate noise can be real bummer, might be broken most of time, just put in a wet clutch from the gsxr, should fit, clutch will stfu for you. peace

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
LMAO I hear them there Eyetalian Beemer M3's is super duper nice reliable scooters knowwhatimean Vern!

Alexio you have a super smooooooth sense of humor.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Ok, that's my problem, I have too much guilt and now I have to apologize.

To Miam3, I'm sorry for being an ass towards you. It was just a hilarious first post from you, because you just fit the exact stereotype of people who come to the forum and look at ducatis as some luxury object or toy and ask funny questions without searching the forum.

So, I won't comment on the grammar issues, or the referral to the 1198 as a toy, or the implied similarity to an M3 as far as maintenance costs etc. I won't even comment on the hilarious clutch noise question (there's a great thread in here about how to deal with questions from others about your "broken clutch.") What I would ask is that you do a search as these types of questions have been extensively covered... you'll get "mad props" from everyone on the forum. It's a great group of people... and barring a little hazing everyone will bend over backwards to help you out. If you feel a tear welling up at all the abuse you receive, just ask a guy named Jules about 25 posts... he'll fill you in :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Alexio - that was cruel and unusual, but funny. I remember the first time I heard a dry clutch I thought "wtf is wrong with that bike?"

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello follow bikers,

I recently sold my 07 GSXR 600 which I quickly grew out of after a year and now I looking for something different. Something has at least a liter. I recently looked into the 07-08 GSXR1000, 09-10 R1, and the 09-10 Ducati 1198. I never rode or owned a Italy motorcycle so I wanted to ask how reliable are these machines? I own a BMW M3, so I already know how expensive these toy can be. I'm just curious are there any particular or common problems I should be aware of? Clutch plate noise, suspension failure, valves adjustments?
OK, I guess someone has to do it (give a straight answer). I have a 1098 and absolutely love it. I think it is by far the fastest, best handling and best looking bike I've ever ridden. I see no down side in having ten more horsepower with the 1198.

About maintenance: The bike needs service valves adjusted and other stuff every 7,500 miles. It's not cheap but I don't find it overly expensive either. More often than not, a well maintained bike will give you thousands of trouble free miles. That's the experience I've had with both my bikes. Hope that helps.

Sorry for the interruption - now back to the festivities! :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
The reason you buy a Ducati instead of a Japanese bike, is the same reason you bought the M3 instead of a Honda Accord.
Both great - but very different.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have owned all kinds of bikes, but I can tell you my 999 is the most fun I have ever had on two wheels. When I wear it out, if that's possible, I will replace it with a 1098 or 1198.

I get so tickled by the people who ask, "Do you really have a Ducati, or do you just own a Ducati shirt?"

It is the only bike I have ever owned with so much mystery around it.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Hello follow bikers,

To answer part of your question, this is my 2c. You will enjoy the torque and instant throttle response with a duc. There is no "winding it up" waiting for the revs to build... it's a nice linear, fat torque curve. You might also enjoy the more throaty sound, and lastly, the looks. You can probably make the handling similar to the gsxr with adjustments, although a duc will usually be slower cc for cc. So, when you want at least a liter bike, it's kind of apples and oranges. an 1198 will provide simlar speed to an r1... but will give you more enjoyable fun on the road. As far as reliability.. it varies but has improved over time. I can honestly say I have never had a break down with a ducati, but one in particular had a poorly tightened bolt from new and sprayed oil as I left the dealer. These are anomalies, but this would NEVER happen on a jap bike. The valve changes are expensive and more frequent that on a I4... and parts are definitely expensive.

You will spend a small (or large) fortune keeping up with the joneses (or the www.ducati.ms'ers in this case.) You will notice a 40k 1098r with $80-100k in mods being built on the forum... I personally have a hyper with $10k in engine mods for example..(and it's asking me for more on a daily basis that little read-headed bitch!) Joking aside, it's all up to you... but I would venture to say that you will be won over by your ducati, and you will have a pride of ownership, and a joy of riding that is relatively rare.

ciao.!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts