Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently sold my 03 999, mainly because I didn't like the way some of them have depreciated, and since I was going to be out of the country for 2 years for school, but I'll be home every 3 months or so for 2 weeks at a time, I didn't want to just let it sit since I didn't think it would retain any value, but a 999R is something I've always wanted. And its a different animal.

I have a chance to purchase a 2005 999R with sub 5k miles for 11.5k dollars, very clean bike. 2nd owner bike, comes with manuals, 3 keys, stand, cover...

My question is, do you guys think these bikes still have any much depreciation left in them? I mean late model 998S are worth a pretty penny, this is a flagship from Ducati are they going to hold there value over the course?

I know no one can predict the future, but there are some very hardcore Ducati enthuiasts on this forum, I want their advice thats all....

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The 999R has horrible depreciation. The bike new was in the $30,000 range now its worth what? $14k for a decent example? The prices have stabilized recently, as the newer bikes come out and people decide they actually like the older ones better. But thats barring Ducati ever making a re-release or another bike which looks even better. Right now most non-current superbikes are worth between 6k (748) and 14k (999R) That's a roughly 8k spread, so we're not talking a lot of money.

Will a 999R hold its value better over the course of the next 5 years? If there is a demand, then yes it will. But if the economy goes bust again, then you've got a worthless piece of metal hanging around in a garage and spending the money on a 999R wasn't worth it. ;) LOL

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys,

... but a 999R is something I've always wanted.

I have a chance to purchase a 2005 999R with sub 5k miles for 11.5k dollars, very clean bike. 2nd owner bike, comes with manuals, 3 keys, stand, cover...

QUOTE]

If it's what you want, buy it. What ever floats your boat is what is going to work for you. If it's not what you want, tell me the guys name and email address and I'll buy it! HA! Dude no matter the depreciation of any bike you never buy a bike in hopes of it appreciating unless it's been a display model it's whole life. Bikes are made to ride. You MUST take it out to the track and thrash that baby around like there is no tormorrow to get the worth out of it you are looking for. Money will not give you the same thrill never.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just for reference purposes 3 months ago I purchased a 2006 999R with 1500 miles with full ceramic coated termi exhaust, cycle cat rear sets, and magnesium rims for $15000.00. I thought it was a good deal for the asking price. $11.5 is a good price for a well taken care for example.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
IMHO that is a more than fair price. Check it out; make sure the title is clear and perhaps ask some maintenance questions. Nice find and possibly congratulations. They are fantastic machines. You will be amazed at the difference compared to your '03.

Oh, and no, it should never be a "...worthless piece of metal." It's all about whatever makes you smile when you walk into your garage. Pay what it's worth to you.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
almost everything in life loses value. The way I see it, if I am concerned about the depreciation either I can't afford it or it's not the right product for me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
11.5 is good even if it's full stock.

if it comes with full exhaust or anything extra, dont think about it.

i really dont see an 05 999r going much below 11.5. i dont think you'd lose money if you turned around sold it after 2 years. the CF body is worth 2k if in good shape.

engine around 3-4k forks and shocks around 2k... 7-8k already...

do the math on it....

·
Registered
357 Posts
KBB trade in up here is worth $13,200 and some change. Definately a nice deal! Especially if it's in any decent shape.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It's definetely buyers market at the moment, but then again it's hard to see that the prices would rise either. I don't think you can expect that a used motorcycle would be a good investment, but I don't see the point of value here either. I mean if you put few miles on it and decide to sell it after couple of years what difference does it make if it has lost a some of it's value? If it costs 11k now you just can't lose much money there. Like stated above, the parts itself will be worth something, let alone the bike as it is.

Buy it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
As they say:" There's an ass for every seat"
Jump on it, that's a hell of a seat!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
An '05 999R for $11,500?

Seriously, man, buy it yesterday, or give me the name and number of the guy selling it, and I will be it 5 minutes from now.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Oh, and no, it should never be a "...worthless piece of metal." It's all about whatever makes you smile when you walk into your garage. Pay what it's worth to you.
Answer to that question:

I was going to be out of the country for 2 years for school, but I'll be home every 3 months or so for 2 weeks at a time, I didn't want to just let it sit since I didn't think it would retain any value
Sounds like the OP isn't gonna be around to ride it... so if your not around to even see it, its kind of a worthless piece of metal in the garage. Eh... maybe thats a misunderstanding?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Just remember that most Ducati's are sold when they need expensive servicing...and the 999R requires the most expensive servicing aside from the Desmosedici. A routine servicing could run upwards around $700-1000 dollars depending on what you have done. A set of belts are $200, then valves, etc. Make sure whats due maintenance wise before you think you got a great deal.
I never take into account depreciation when I buy a motorcycle or car....that's silly! If you want an R, get it w/o regret!
That said the R did take a nose dive from $28-30 grand to $15 grand or less! It's just a motorcycle at the end of the day.;)
You know what's funny is that I probably have spent way more in modifications (Ohlins suspension, Termignoni exhaust, etc) over the last two years than my 999 is worth as of today! Gives me the chills...:D

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
The downturn in pricing could be blamed to a large degree by Ducati coming out with the 1098 at a bargain MSRP, that got the ball going backwards in the first place. Further, the 1098 was more powerful as a base model than the latest 999R.

That 05 999R your buying, is that from a buddy or a relative? Somebody who doesn't need the money apparently because they are leaving about $2.5-$3K on the table. The 05 employed the more powerful motor (I know about the HP measuring deal between it and the earlier R bikes), braced swingarm and red frame. However, aside from the power differences the other changes are debatable. I prefer the look of the upswept grey swingarm and grey frame when taking into account the other backdrop colors. Others may not so that part of it is subjective. Like you I wanted the 999R for the better part of five years. Also like you I had a 999, but the S model and sold it after about a year. Subconciously I wanted to make room for a 999R and when I found one I soon discovered it hardly had a resemblance to the 999S. They were two different bikes sharing many parts. Hard to explain, but I know if you buy the 999R the difference you will experience between it and the 999 will amaze and not just in straightaway power. The 999R is an awesome package, you'll see.

I wouldn't sell my 1.8K mile 03 999R with its modifications for no less than $13K, likely $13.5K. Otherwise, I'd just keep it. If your deal is legit and you get extra lucky with mods on the bike $11.5K is the cheapest I've heard any 999R go for. There was an 03 with high miles that sold for around $10K less than a year ago, but it was clearly a "used" example.

If it has a good history I would not hesitate, that bike would go within a day if it was listed here, maybe within the hour.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
As they say:" There's an ass for every seat"
Jump on it, that's a hell of a seat!
Wasn't that originally "a lid for every pot" or " a guy for every fat girl?"

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for info guys... I just don't want lose my ass on it, that was my main questions 5 years from the now I don't want the bike to be worth 5-6k dollars.

And I am not trying to make money on the bike, trust me, I kept my 1000rr which is actually sitting in the bedroom of my parents house back home, I liquidated all the toys but two, my ducati was something that I felt wasn't worth keeping, we didn't have a bond, i think i can bond to a 999R, I still have a ZX10R for sale, I think I am going to lower the price some, if it sells, then I'll buy the R, its dumb to hve 3 bikes for no reason, the 1000rr has personal value, the Kawi doesn't.

Tnaks for the all the opinoins it was exactly the type of quality resonses i was looking for, this might be my new favorite forum.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
So, are you buying it, then?

If not, I need a phone number!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts