Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

thinking about buying '01 ST2 - any issues i should know?

1597 5
i've been contemplating to buy an STx for a long time and i finally have a go ahead from my wife. :) i found two '01 ST2s - one local and one about 600 miles away. are there any summaries or model year to year features comparison, things to watch out for type of posting somewhere?

thanks in advance.

hechon
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
So whats the stats on the bike?

I have an 01 ST2 and it has been very reliable. I have 20K on the bike and literally have not had a single issue. But I would check to see that all of the scheduled maintance has been done. The 12K svc is expensive (belts+regular svc mine was $600 ish) so I would make sure that has been done or at least be prepared for that. And leave a few bucks aside to maybe re-valve and spring the fork.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I'll keeping looking, in the mean time, I signed up for basic rider's course. I do have a M class license from Canada (I currently reside in US) but it's been so long since I rode, I figured I may as well kill two birds with one stone (get a US license and "learn" to ride again).

Is there any program or service where I can ask someone to inspect a bike in remote cities? I found a bike that I think I like but it's in Seattle, WA.

hechon

·
Registered
591 Posts
hechon, I say go for it!

I'm the proud owner of a '01 ST2 and I love my bike. It's a very fun and versatile machine. I grew up with motorcycles and took a 15 year vacation to play with 1960's muscle cars and restoration work. My ST2 was my reintroduction to bikes and my first Duc to boot. Ducs are addictive and the ST2 is such a well rounded machine to get acquainted with. My bike has not given me any unusual troubles other than some warped front rotors (fixed under warranty). Get one, you'll love it! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.