Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my way in my 998 blow out at barber this weekend. Started it for the first track session and backfired through the tb's and a lot smoke came out the intake tubes.then cranks but no spark. Fuel pump primes, injectors shooting fuel but won't start. Changed plugs, pick up coil, plug coils, wires, nothing changed, won't run. Getting power the the ignition coils, but no spark. Only thing left is the ecu. Anyone have one in the central Florida area I can test it with before I go buy one?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
A long shot Gary but look at the pins and plug at the ecu for corrosion. Seen a few do goofy things and found green pins in the ecu.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Additionally, I talked eurobikes in Tampa,they said most likely the ecu, and that based on what I found in the motor and the the way I'd that I have a newer version of the 996r motor, bases on the fact that I have 996r cams and a 996R ecu.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Everyone told me it was probably the ecu on my Monster. Before I layed down the money I sprayed and cleaned every wiring connector I could find , ecu included ( very carefully) . Also, I found that some of the zip ties holding the wires to the frame were too tight, causing a bad connection inside the connectors, so I cut the ties and pushed the wires back in on both sides of all of them. I was then careful when putting the new zip ties on not to cause this. Whatever, when I was done it started and ran fine.if you have an immobilizer it could be the antenna, though it wasn’t on mine.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I think my way in my 998 blow out at barber this weekend. Started it for the first track session and backfired through the tb's and a lot smoke came out the intake tubes.then cranks but no spark. Fuel pump primes, injectors shooting fuel but won't start. Changed plugs, pick up coil, plug coils, wires, nothing changed, won't run. Getting power the the ignition coils, but no spark. Only thing left is the ecu. Anyone have one in the central Florida area I can test it with before I go buy one?
ECU aside, also check your air filters. Last time I had an intake backfire and a lot of smoke through the intakes, it completely incinerated the air filters.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't you know it, not the pick up coil, not plugs, not coils, not ignition, not ecu, just a stupid bad connection to the way on one wire that goes to th coils. Took the connector to the way that had the wire in it, put it back together and it started right up. Why couldn't that happen at barber instead of week later in my garage. Never even got on the track. That was the most frustrating parts of the whole ordeal. At least it is running now.

Reactions: vtwin

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
That’s the way it works. Look at the bright side. At least you didn’t have to buy a new ecu.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya but wasted a trip to bbarber

1 - 9 of 9 Posts