Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start:

1. Change your oil at 200 miles

2. Fill your tires with nitrogen

3. Fill your tank with 100 octane gas

4. Fill your clutch fluid reservoir with Castrol SRF

5. Remove the evaporative emission canister

6. Add a manual cooling fan switch

7. Discard a tire punctured at 100 miles

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Put a K&N filter in the stock air box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Bring it in the living room if you can't ride it and look at it. A lot...
The cats would be far too interested for me to do that. :ROFLMAO:

The weather has been crap, so working on my taxes, when I would rather ride.
Hopefully it does not end up in a big bill.
I don't think so, and it will be good to get it over with and not hanging over my head.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,680 Posts
We have been isolated for over 3 weeks here in VT(live in a now unpopulated mountain town). Just shopping. I have gone out 3 times for a CMHR (coronamentalhealthride). The only stop is to top off fuel before putting it away(pay at pump)and a break for drink/snack(brought in a hardbag).
Trying to strike a balance between social distance/isolation/responsibility.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Use Motul 300V in your daily ride.

Replace stock hardware with titanium on your touring rig.

Put sticky sport/track tires on your commuter.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Put $30 a gallon race fuel in your track day bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
371 Posts
3. Fill your tank with 100 octane gas

6. Add a manual cooling fan switch
On 3: I wish we could here in the South FL! The maximum I can find is 93..... or on some stations you have the option for REC90 (90 octanes but zero Ethanol). Where do you find it?

On 6: How did you do it? Or how would you do it?

Put a K&N filter in the stock air box.
I thought seriously about it, but on the Multistrada to reach the air filter box you have to remove ALL fairings and I believe the fuel tank.... way too much hassle.

·
Official Retired Person
7,514 Posts
Slowly & carefully hand polish the hand made aluminum fuel tank while alone in the garage with the GT1000 and my favorite radio station tuned to oldies while a cold beverage is conveniently within reach.

Good times!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! Will try it out once this quarantine ends....
I was making a joke. You may feel better using 100 octane but your bike won't feel better.

You should always use the minimum octane specified by Ducati in the Owners Manual for best power and economy. A higher octane than specified by Ducati will NOT produce more power, smoother running or better mileage—it will be a waste of money.

Ducati determined the minimum fuel octane requirement for your particular engine by simulating a number of demanding engine load conditions on a factory dyno during engine development. During this testing, knock sensor instrumentation is used to detect detonation that produces slight pinging normally inaudible to a rider. Without getting into specifics here, if detonation is allowed to persist, it can damage an engine—hence, a minimum octane requirement.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was making a joke. You may feel better using 100 octane but your bike won't feel better.

You should always use the minimum octane specified by Ducati in the Owners Manual for best power and economy. A higher octane than specified by Ducati will NOT produce more power, smoother running or better mileage—it will be a waste of money.

Ducati determined the minimum fuel octane requirement for your particular engine by simulating a number of demanding engine load conditions on a factory dyno during engine development. During this testing, knock sensor instrumentation is used to detect detonation that produces slight pinging normally inaudible to a rider. Without getting into specifics here, if detonation is allowed to persist, it can damage an engine—hence, a minimum octane requirement.
Thank you for the lessons Strega! I always thought that “higher is better” in that regard, maybe driven by the ignorance of seeing higher octane fuels costing more on regular gas stations.

I currently try to use REC90 (non-ethanol, 90 octane) to avoid the tank swelling and fuel sensor errors, when unavailable I use 93.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts