Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Tom,

I walked into one of our local Ducati dealers yesterday and the owner of the place had his Paul Smart 1000 on the floor. It's kitted for the track with all indicators and mirrors removed. The tail light section has also been removed. Fitted to the bike is the 2 in 1 Termignoni exhaust and BST rims. He recons it weighs 165kg. The carbon wheels look awesome and on the PS saved 10kg in total (the exhasut saved 6kg). Amazing! You should see it...

What size rear did you go for. I believe BST makes a 5.5, 5.75 and a 6 inch rear. The PS has the 5.5 inch with a 180 tyre fitted.

Please let us know how your 1000SS goes with the BST's...and post some pics!

Andre

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just weighed the raw wheels, as I did the Marchesini 10-spoke mags that are on my ST2 (weight in grams, including beargs, spacer, cush drive, sprocket carrier, but not brakes or sprocket, both rears are 5.5")

front: BST 2425 Marchesini 2715
rear: BST 4774 Marchesini 4887

So, nearly 300g savings in the front, but only 100 in the rear (though the SS rear has some different spacers than the ST, so maybe another 100g if both are measured without the spacers).

Tom

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi Tom,

What made you choose the carb BST's over the mag Marchesini's? Only the weight difference or also the looks?

What Marchesini's do you have, 5 spoke or 10/Y spoke? I understand the 10/Y spoke are lighter than the traditional 5 spoke.

Looking forward to the pics!!

Dick

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dutchduc900 said:
Hi Tom,

What made you choose the carb BST's over the mag Marchesini's? Only the weight difference or also the looks?

What Marchesini's do you have, 5 spoke or 10/Y spoke? I understand the 10/Y spoke are lighter than the traditional 5 spoke.

Looking forward to the pics!!

Dick
Less weight, and the fact that the BSTs are street legal, and the Marchesinis aren't (I already have two bikes with non-DOT wheels). I thought about getting the forged magnesium 10-spokes (which I have on my ST2) also for the SS (which would have been much cheaper), but in the end decided on the BSTs.

Also, I have since ordered a CF full-fairing (got I deal that I couln't pass up), so I think the BSTs are really the right thing to have.

Before I can take pics, I have to find my camera!

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts