Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you decide to remove the right side engine cover on your bike and renew the seals as recommended in the manual be prepared for hours of work and frustration. The small seal is an absolute pain in the ass. I spent a good amount of time being as delicate as possible trying not to damage the engine case, about half way through I was starting a backup plan of ordering a magnesium engine cover from someone online. Finally after a lot of pounding, grinding, and cursing the seal came out. The case was no worse for the wear, had a few marks on it but nothing that will have an effect on anything. This is just a PSA from me, someone who spent the whole damn day on this... I did get my STM slipper clutch basket installed though..

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
What are the Part numbers for those seals?

·
Registered
319 Posts
hey just a tip on the small seal try pulling the retainer ring first, it will save you a ton of time!:D

On a serious note if you didn't try it already, you can sometimes apply heat to help ease the removal of seals(or bearings)! the heat makes the metal expand at different rates and can make it easier.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also, seals will never slide our easily. They always take a good bit of force (i.e. hammer & punch) to get out. They also make a seal puller, but you have to drill the seal & risk nicking the casing. If they come out, or go in easily, chances are they are the wrong seals. Be sure when you put them back in that they start in straigt. If you get one cocked it will either bend or be stuck to where you have to ruin it to get it back out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
place the seals/bearings in the freezer before putting them in. People under estimate the effects of temperature change as it relates to metal expansion/contraction!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.