Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Rossi 130 and 5'11".........what a bean pole!!! Is that his secret, low weight and lots of height?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think the article is right, may get a little more speed due to less weight of the rider, especially in those ''photo finishes.''

Maybe the smaller rider also ''becomes one more with the bike?'' Instead of a huge ''counterweight,'' so to speak, maybe the small and lightweight guys conform to contours making handling easier? Maybe not dramatically, but to the tune of a few seconds, which can make a difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What about Xaus? Granted hes not in MotoGP anymore but he didnt do half bad while he was there. Got rookie of the year. And hes a big guy (by height anyway). I've heard about other riders grumbeling over how difficult it is to pass him since his knees stick out and eat up half the track.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
mig1221 said:
I would have thought a guy who is 6ft., 160-170# and well built would do better because he could throw the bike around. Guess I'm wrong
Leverage yes, but those limbs flapping in the breeze are a killer on aerodynamics :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Horsepower to weight ratio...just like the Jockeys.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The jockey comparison is interesting as it is well known what jockey's will do to keep weight down. I mentioned Rossi's stats to my wife and she mentioned that he is very close to a BMI that would classify him as anorexic. My response is that Rossi is a freak of nature in many ways, but it does make me wonder if there is pressure to maintain a low weight in the GP paddock and what some guys on the cusp of losing a ride might do to drop 20 or 30 pounds.

Tony

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Capirossi: 130 lb, 5'4"
Hayden: 150 lb, 5'8"
Gibernau: 154 lb, 5'9"

Wow, these guys are downright portly by comparison. Gibernau is about the size of my 14 year old, and Capirossi isn't much bigger than my 4 year old. (jk - but he is kind of a munchkin.) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts